Forum Member

Default Another for the Jackass file .........

Firefighters Accused Of Using Jaws Of Life In Vandalism Spree

BERLIN, Vt. -- The Jaws of Life is a tool firefighters use to help victims of serious car crashes escape the mangled wreckage. But some volunteer firefighters in Vermont have been accused of using it during a vandalism spree.

Police in Berlin said Howard Silk, 23; John Silk, 20; Shawn Silk, 20; and Matthew Squires, 23; all Berlin volunteer firefighters, stole and damaged public property around central Vermont with the Jaws of Life during what police think might have been a scavenger hunt brought on by a dare.

Police said the four started the spree at the Berlin Mall and Central Vermont Hospital, pulling hubcaps and windshield wipers from cars. The four then headed to the Montpelier park and the town of Northfield, damaging pay phones and stealing street signs.

Police said they got a break in the case in mid-September when someone came forward to them with critical information, including the fact that vandalism may have been part of a dare.

Police said they aren't sure who dared the four, and the Berlin Fire Department said it never had any involvement in the crime nor did it know the equipment had been used.

So far, the crimes are only misdemeanors, but could turn into felonies when investigators total the damage.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default Sad

Couldn't they find something better to do with their time.......maybe study up on ff conduct or training manuals?

Forum Member

pretty sad but some people have ideas with tools, i will never have.jaws of life is extrication tool for me,not vandalism tool as it can be used.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    Couldn't they find something better to do with their time.......maybe study up on ff conduct or training manuals?

Agreed.Just because they might have been dared to do it,doesn't mean that they should have done it.
    Though BASE jumping has taken the sting from it,I can still hear Mom saying "If your friends jumped off the 'new bridge',would you jump too?"
    Last edited by doughesson; 10-01-2007 at 11:20 AM.

Forum Member

Angry

Did I miss something or did they take equipment off the truck for this bs?
    Who in there right mind would take a truck out of service for this........They need to be kicked out of the department. If any of my guys did this I would hang them from the ladder truck by there b*&ls.
    Last edited by GFD748; 09-28-2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Grammer
    GFD748 First in... Last out.. Everyone goes home.... Do the best job you can and do it safely

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ok, lets just say we take the "story" with a grain of salt - oh alright - a whole dang bucket full. Anyhow, the question I have is how many people might have driven by these clowns as they were "cutting" and not thought, "Gee. Thats really weird. I wonder why a bunch of kids are cutting up signs and stuff?", without doing something about it.

Or maybe it was "Oh look. There's Jonny and Mike and some of their friends. Gee its about time they did something constructive with their time, instead of sitting around in front of the 7-11."
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I remember in high school they sent out the FD to do a mock MVA rescue during prom season. To my recollection, the JOL was pretty loud. So, how could no one have heard it in operation? Or as mentioned...seen it?

Forum Member

I came across a link to the local news video on one of the local news sites
    here...
    http://www.kcci.com/news/14215937/detail.html

According to one department official "What stung the most about this was the fact that these were some of the hardest working and most reliable members of the department."

They went on to show what appeared to be high school yearbook photos and they all looked to be about 12. If these are the hardest working and most reliable members of the department, the city of Berlin has some issues...
    Last edited by medicmaster; 09-28-2007 at 07:01 PM.
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by medicmaster View Post
    I came across a link to the local news video on one of the local news sites
    here...
    http://www.kcci.com/news/14215937/detail.html

According to one department official "What stung the most about this was the fact that these were some of the hardest working and most reliable members of the department."

They went on to show what appeared to be high school yearbook photos and they all looked to be about 12. If these are the hardest working and most reliable members of the department, the city of Berlin has some issues...
    Okay, since you want to make generalizations and assumptions about who they are, let me clear this up for you. I'm not involved with the situation, but I do know all that are involved, including many other people from the department.

The photos they showed were old. Not sure where the got them from, but those photos aren't recent by any means. I've known the Silk brothers for ten years now, and those photos look like they were from maybe eighth grade.

The Silk family is quite active within the fire department. Yes, a bad decision on all of their parts lead to bad publicity, and quite possibly them never being able to be involved in any form of emergency services ever again. More often then not, you'll hear their father, and three of the brothers sign on to respond to a call. That's four guys that are very dedicated to the department. There's still other members of their family that volunteer and are involved as well.

Based on the fact that the three brothers and the other firefighter were all very active members and hadn't done anything like this in the history of their membership, it's safe to say that they were good and hardworking members of the department. They allegedly (it hasn't been proven yet, that's why it's under investigation) committed these crimes.

You seem to have forgotten that until proven otherwise, they are still innocent. Now, mind you, I don't condone the alleged actions, and quite honestly I'm disgusted that a group of firefighters would do something like that.

Also, no where in the article does it state they took a truck out of service to do this. Once again, another allegation where there was nothing mentioned about it. From what I was told by a member of the involved service, the equipment, if it was used, did not come from the apparatus, but from a spare equipment closet.

It would be very easy for one person to say all of them were involved. Nobody would have seen anything, and there are ample enough finger prints and evidence on the tools from routine use, training, maintainance, etc, that one person could have gotten caught and fabricated the rest of the story.

Good job on vilifying a group of firefighters once again before all the facts come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Thread Information