Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thumbs down Teen burned in popular body spray stunt

Practically speechless.

Darwin candidates ....

Teen burned in popular body spray stunt
    28/09/2007 7:47:23 PM
    Printer-friendly page

It's supposed to be used to make you smell clean and fresh, but instead it's got many teens smelling smoke. In a phenomenon that's growing, teens are using Axe Body Spray to light themselves, their friends and objects on fire.

Sana Qadar
    In this image taken off a Youtube video, teens can be seen using Axe Body Spray to light themselves on fire.

Sprayed over an open flame, the high alcohol content of the popular body spray easily ignites, turning it into a makeshift mini flame thrower.

The prank is so popular, social networking websites like Facebook have groups dedicated to it. A quick search on video-sharing website YouTube turns up numerous videos of teens using the aerosol cans to create jets of fire.

In one prank that turned serious, an Ontario teen was sent to hospital with first-, second- and third-degree burns and another was charged with assault causing bodily harm earlier this week.

The two 14-year-olds from Glencoe, south-west of London, Ont. were playing with the aerosol cans in the change room of Glencoe District High School. While trying to create the flamethrower effect, one teen allegedly set the other on fire. The victim was sent to hospital with burns to his torso, and released the same day.

On Friday, Axe's parent company Unilever released a statement, saying "these incidents are most troubling to us, as there is nothing more important to us than the safety and well-being of the consumers who use our products. We strongly encourage consumers to heed the warning on our packaging and use our products carefully, safely and only for their intended purpose."

Sgt. Dave Rektor of the Ontario Provincial Police in western region said the incident in Glencoe was the first in his region where charges were laid, although the OPP has been aware of such incidents since the end of the last school year.

"Although we haven't had any reported to the police, we're aware through our contacts in the high schools that these types of incidents are happening ... it seems like this is definitely an insurgence," he told CTV.ca

"It's an issue that has come to our attention really only in the last couple of weeks," Chris Dennett, spokesperson for the Thames Valley District School Board which covers Glencoe, told CTV.ca.

"Teens are very good at finding other uses for what seem to be very harmless products," he said. "If you look at YouTube ... obviously there has been a fair amount of experimentation with the product."

After a similar incident took place at Medway Secondary School in the same school district, the OPP and local burn unit held a fire safety program at that school. It's likely a similar program will be held at Glencoe District High School.

Sgt. Rektor said pranks involving aerosols and fire have been growing in popularity because students are copying what they see on Internet sites like YouTube.

"It's very alarming to us that they're looking at this as fun. This is just not fun. This is a potential for serious bodily harm or death."

On YouTube, one video serves as a kind of 'how-to' guide and features a young boy demonstrating different fire tricks with a can of Axe Body Spray.

In one trick he sprays the back of his hand with Axe and then lights it on fire. Covering his hand, he quickly waves off the flames. Next he creates a large jet of fire from the Axe can by spraying it over a lighter.

Another video shows a male teen lighting his shirt on fire. The flames cover his entire mid-section and then quickly burn out.

On Facebook, one group dedicated to the stunt is named "if this group reaches 120 people i will set my legs on fire...again." Started by a Peterborough student, the group's page links to the YouTube video of the teen carrying out his promise. "It doesn't even hurt!" he exclaims in the video, after lighting his legs aflame.

On the group's page, one teen posted a message saying, "there's nuthin ever to do in Peterborough ... its all for fun."

In another group, named "Axe + Fire = Good," one teen claimed to have lit his face on fire. Another wrote about lighting his hand on fire. "It was so cool," he said.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 09-30-2007 at 08:15 PM.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I saw this on the news last night. I just shake my head now at some of the s**t that goes on.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    I saw this on the news last night. I just shake my head now at some of the s**t that goes on.
    If you haven't already, check out the new posts on IACOJ since your last visit.

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

makes good girls go bad

I can't remember whos signature it is, but it goes a little something like this...

Stupidity is too negative.....I prefer "Job Security"

With maroons like this, we will have jobs forever....
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Wait wait wait.

Axe body spray has high alcohol content?

This is the same spray that has women attacking and molesting every guy who sprays it on himself right?

So why is it when I get to smelling like high alcohol content that women turn and run?
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GodSendRain View Post
    Wait wait wait.

Axe body spray has high alcohol content?

This is the same spray that has women attacking and molesting every guy who sprays it on himself right?

So why is it when I get to smelling like high alcohol content that women turn and run?
    The aroma of rotgut whiskey, cheap cigars and low quality suds is a turn off!*

*lesson learned.. drink Glenlivet, smoke Cubans and enjoy Guinness to give one a sense of sophistication to attract the ladies...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

IACOJ BOD

And the last lesson is simple.

Light her cigarette if she smokes, DO NOT light yourself.

Her diet may be vegeterian, that is not different to eating cooked meat.

Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post

*lesson learned.. drink Glenlivet, smoke Cubans and enjoy Guinness to give one a sense of sophistication to attract the ladies...
    Bom Chicka Wah Wah . . .
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    The aroma of rotgut whiskey, cheap cigars and low quality suds is a turn off!*

that is the secret to attract ladies,wow,lol.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Everybody beware when opening this thread. Sheri, I got a Trojan virus alert when the first page opened up. Luckly I have an anti-virus that caught it.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDLT32 View Post
    Everybody beware when opening this thread. Sheri, I got a Trojan virus alert when the first page opened up. Luckly I have an anti-virus that caught it.
    Do you mean when you open the thread? Or when you open the link I posted for the article?

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

caught this thread this morning and did alittle youtube searching as the article suggested. And found everything from the flamethrower to one person who sprayed it in her hand lit it fire and put her hand in a sink full of water and making sure to note that that really burned her hand

I'm waiting for us to get a call to the college in our district for the burn injury or whatever has been set on fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Stupid is what stupid does.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

What's the word I'm looking for.....ummmmm, oh yeah....DUH!!!!!
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

This is no dumber then so called firemen lighting a probie on fire...In a firehouse (allegedly)
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Do you mean when you open the thread? Or when you open the link I posted for the article?

The warning came from the link that you had.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

The warning came from the link that you had.
    I'll remove the link ... it was the first time (and obviously the LAST) that I tried one of those tiny url sites.

Thanks, Joey.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    I'll remove the link ... it was the first time (and obviously the LAST) that I tried one of those tiny url sites.

Thanks, Joey.
    No problem. Just did not want anyone to get infected
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

No problem. Just did not want anyone to get infected
    Me either!!!!!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Thread Information