Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: The real world!

  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Borderstate
    Posts
    899

    Talking The real world!

    A man calls the fire department and says, "Yes, I have just had my front yard landscaped, I have a nice new flower bed, a new fish pond with a fountain and a new rose garden."

    "Very nice," the firefighter says, "but what does that have to do with the fire service?"

    "Well," the man answers, "the house next door is on fire and I don't want you to trample my front yard."
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

    Hillbilly Irish!


  2. #2
    55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,739

    Lightbulb Yeah, Right.............

    And guess where I'll be setting up the Tower Ladder............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

  3. #3
    Forum Member frenchfireball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lyon,france
    Posts
    1,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldfront View Post
    A man calls the fire department and says, "Yes, I have just had my front yard landscaped, I have a nice new flower bed, a new fish pond with a fountain and a new rose garden."

    "Very nice," the firefighter says, "but what does that have to do with the fire service?"

    "Well," the man answers, "the house next door is on fire and I don't want you to trample my front yard."
    nah,really,true story?lol.unbelievable!
    "sauver ou périr"

    "courage et dévouement"

    2 french mottoes in french fire service.

  4. #4
    Forum Member SapphyreBlues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    And guess where I'll be setting up the Tower Ladder............
    I give up.....where?

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber ffscm72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Greenwood, DE, USA
    Posts
    516

    Default

    I'd park the ladder in the "nice, fresh, and beautiful" lawn as well as create a drainage for all of the foam/water run-off. Heck why stop there...I feel the need to dig!!!!
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

  6. #6
    Forum Member frenchfireball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lyon,france
    Posts
    1,033

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    I'd park the ladder in the "nice, fresh, and beautiful" lawn as well as create a drainage for all of the foam/water run-off. Heck why stop there...I feel the need to dig!!!!

    yeah,dig,go ahead.would you like a special tool to dig deeper?lol.
    "sauver ou périr"

    "courage et dévouement"

    2 french mottoes in french fire service.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber ffscm72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Greenwood, DE, USA
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frenchfireball View Post
    yeah,dig,go ahead.would you like a special tool to dig deeper?lol.

    have to bring that up at the next company meeting! I'm sure I can get the 2/3 vote on that!...lol
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

  8. #8
    Forum Member frenchfireball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lyon,france
    Posts
    1,033

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    have to bring that up at the next company meeting! I'm sure I can get the 2/3 vote on that!...lol

    suggest a dozer to dig deeper,lol.
    "sauver ou périr"

    "courage et dévouement"

    2 french mottoes in french fire service.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber ffscm72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Greenwood, DE, USA
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frenchfireball View Post
    suggest a dozer to dig deeper,lol.
    We already bought a new engine and a refurbished our 1936 Reo engine...I was thinking something cheaper....JR. members and shovels...lol

    1.) Brand new Engine/Pumper- $550,000
    2.) Reburbishing 1936 Reo Engine piece- $250,000
    3.) Shovels- $75
    4.) Electing New Jr. Members- free
    5.) Watching Jr. members dig up ****** bag 911 callers' yard for spite....priceless

    Last edited by ffscm72; 10-01-2007 at 05:42 AM.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

  10. #10
    Forum Member frenchfireball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lyon,france
    Posts
    1,033

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    We already bought a new engine and a refurbished our 1936 Reo engine...I was thinking something cheaper....JR. members and shovels...lol

    1.) Brand new Engine/Pumper- $550,000
    2.) Reburbishing 1936 Reo Engine piece- $250,000
    3.) Shovels- $75
    4.) Electing New Jr. Members- free
    5.) Watching Jr. members dig up ****** bag 911 callers' yard for spite....priceless

    ok 5 solutions to solve the problem,lol.maybe the last one is the less expensive but it will depends on juniors.lol.
    "sauver ou périr"

    "courage et dévouement"

    2 french mottoes in french fire service.

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    I'd park the ladder in the "nice, fresh, and beautiful" lawn as well as create a drainage for all of the foam/water run-off. Heck why stop there...I feel the need to dig!!!!
    Great PR. you can bet he'll be the first person to support the FD when they need it.

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coldfront View Post
    ... a new fish pond with a fountain...
    He was nice enough to put in a static water supply to draft from!

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber ffscm72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Greenwood, DE, USA
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by frenchfireball View Post
    ok 5 solutions to solve the problem,lol.maybe the last one is the less expensive but it will depends on juniors.lol.
    6.) Whip to keep Jr members inline- also priceless!...
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    mountain view, AR
    Posts
    144

    Default

    The first call I did down here was for a house fire. So we put the smoking heating unit out and ventilate the house for him. He calls two days later screaming about me parking in his yard and tearing up some of his grass. The only place to park the rig was on the grass. So if we ever have to go back there, we will strech our lines the hundred feet to the house, and take care not to mess up his grass. And if hampers the fire fighting,O well.

  15. #15
    Forum Member firecat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Betwixt here and there.
    Posts
    3,476

    Default sheesh!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by allison20 View Post
    The first call I did down here was for a house fire. So we put the smoking heating unit out and ventilate the house for him. He calls two days later screaming about me parking in his yard and tearing up some of his grass. The only place to park the rig was on the grass. So if we ever have to go back there, we will strech our lines the hundred feet to the house, and take care not to mess up his grass. And if hampers the fire fighting,O well.

    Some people are just plain ungrateful! He ought to be sending a thank-you card and flowers and thanking his lucky stars that it's just grass he has to replace.

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.
    Posts
    12,837

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    We already bought a new engine and a refurbished our 1936 Reo engine...I was thinking something cheaper....JR. members and shovels...lol

    1.) Brand new Engine/Pumper- $550,000
    2.) Reburbishing 1936 Reo Engine piece- $250,000
    3.) Shovels- $75
    4.) Electing New Jr. Members- free
    5.) Watching Jr. members dig up ****** bag 911 callers' yard for spite....priceless

    Who needs a shovel? My classmates and I dug a 3x2 foot hole UNDER a ground level window two weeks ago at a house that we got to "use" for forced entry/roof cutting training. One of my classmates had the misfortune to be 2hrs late, so at the end of the day he got to breach the C side brick/cinder block wall into the kitchen (with a partner); do a FF down search (which of course was in the D side basement and then self extract (well ok, we all helped outside to dig) his team and the RIT that was sent in afterwards through the cinder block D wall. Was a very good learning session on unconventional entry/egress techniques.

    OH... no shovels were harmed in the course of this exercise, however a haligan bar (for the digging part), flat head axe and a 10lb sledge did get some good use.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

    "I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

    "Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

    Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

    impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

    IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

  17. #17
    Forum Member GCFD5exploder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    in one of the 50 states!!
    Posts
    16

    Talking

    dig a moat around his house and tell him is in protocall to make sure the safety of the neighboring house is in check and then when i left i would tell him to just add fishies and call it a river!!!!:P

  18. #18
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    When I was a Captain, we responded to a reported chimney fire in one of our very upscale neighborhoods.

    Upon our arrival, the "lady of the house" asked us to "remove that filthy outerclothing" (her words) before we entered, as she just had the carpets cleaned..

    I remided her that her home was potentially on fire and that the fire would cause more damage than us walking through the house...
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 10-04-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling correction!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  19. #19
    Forum Member frenchfireball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lyon,france
    Posts
    1,033

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    When I was a Captain, we responded to a reported chimney fire in one of our very upscale neighborhoods.

    Upon our arrival, the "lady of the house" asked us to "remove that filthy outerclothing" (her words) before we entered, as she just had the carpets cleaned..

    I remided her that her home was potentially on fire and that the fire would cause more dmage than us walking through the house...
    lmao,ladies and their housework can be dangerous for men if they disturb ladies when they clean the house.
    "sauver ou périr"

    "courage et dévouement"

    2 french mottoes in french fire service.

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber ffscm72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Greenwood, DE, USA
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WaffleHut View Post
    Great PR. you can bet he'll be the first person to support the FD when they need it.
    I don't think this guy is supporting anything but his lawn anyway...lol
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. World Of Fire Report: 06-29-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2005, 06:36 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 02-14-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 11:15 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 12-13-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 08:15 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 12-03-04
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2004, 11:34 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 09-07-03
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 01:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts