Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Any former police officers turned firefighters?

I've been throwing the idea around of possibly crossing over to the fire department. Just wondering if anyone on here has done this and how it worked out. Thanks.

Joe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jbardinelli View Post
    I've been throwing the idea around of possibly crossing over to the fire department. Just wondering if anyone on here has done this and how it worked out. Thanks.

Joe
    Many have done it in Philly. I've never heard any of them complain!!!

Its been done. I suggest looking into some positions with the State of California at www.spb.ca.gov. You can then cross over to the state fire department if you want.

Hit me up for more details.

MembersZone Subscriber

Whats the similarity between cops and firefighters? They both want to be firefighters.

I have heard of many cops turned firefighters but have never heard of a firefighter going to be a cop. Same thing for single role EMS workers changing to firefighters. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm.

One of the main reasons that being a firefighter is better than being a cop is so people wave at you with all 5 fingers (does a thumb really count as a finger?)as I drive by.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Guns For Pillows Program

In our small department we have two guys who have taken the guns for pillows program and love it!! They say they would never go back!! Only downfall would be the lack of OT. Cops get more side work than FF from the job.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

better to sleep on sheets than seats

Forum Member

both protect the peace, both are great bunch of guys imo

My dad works for LAPD loves his job, never wanted or thought about anything else.

I however am pursuing being a FF...

Some Guy

I have a good friend that went from fire to police. He loves it and has not regrets. There are a few out there that I know of.

I also know of a few guys who switched from police to fire.
    This space for rent

MembersZone Subscriber

We have one firefighter that transfered from the PD to the FD. It's been about 7 years now and he still comes to work with a smile everyday.

He kept his seniority for earned vacation weeks and his pension, but not for shift assignments.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

We have a number of former troopers and local LEO's that have come to our large department. None of them have regretted it for one second...

Forum Member

I am a current LEO taking my FF I and II, I finished my EMT-B a few months ago, I am a reserve with a local FD and hope to go full time once I get all my certs.

The biggest difference in the job is the fact that when FD arrives on scene, people are incredibly happy to see you. When I show up in my PD uniform, way different story.

The stress is also different, the adreneline rush is there but not the same.

The hardest part I have had adjusting too is staging, I cannot sit still on a bus while waiting for PD. Learning to adjust takes alot of effort because you can no longer run right into the fray.

While I can't wait to go full-time FD, the pay is alot different, no off-duty work to speak of and FD around here pays less. The one good point is that my retirement system stays the same.

Just remember, while it may be true that every cop secretly desires to be a fireman, we all know God made cops so fireman could have heros!

I appreciate all of the responses! Is it a requirement to have EMT certification prior to being hired or is that something that you get during the initial training?

Thread Information