Forum Member

Question What to do on ride out?

This is my 3rd ride out and I want it to be the best out of the other 2 ride outs I have so I would like to know...what should I bring to a ride out? Homework? Also what can I do there to help them and out and be well liked?

Thanks

Forum Member

What do you mean by "ride out"?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoSuperman View Post
    This is my 3rd ride out and I want it to be the best out of the other 2 ride outs I have so I would like to know...what should I bring to a ride out? Homework? Also what can I do there to help them and out and be well liked?

Thanks
    1.) Whatever they tell you. It depends on the drill.
    2.) Participate as much as you can. Volunteer and be a team player. Don't be argumentative and don't be a pest. Try to learn as much as you can and ask questions. You don't know if you don't ask, right? Follow that and you will be just fine!

First of all, a ride out is exactly what it sounds like, you ride with a department for a few hours or a day.

To the OP:
    Don't do anything explorer343 said. You are there as an observer, NOT a participant! If they ask you to get a tool, do it but stay near the rig most of the time. Do not ask questions during a run,wait till the ride back or when your at the station, they have stuff to be doing besides answering questions. If you want, bring a small pad and pencil to write down your questions so you don't forget. Ok, E343 was right about one thing, dont be a pest. That means know when to keep quiet and when the right time to ask questions are.

Lastly, bring some sort of (good) food for the guys.
    Last edited by jacklrd; 10-02-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Permanently Removed

if they will let you participate and your allowed to then do it. ask questions at the right time (end of a call), try and find someone who doesnt mind you being there and will let you shadow them. ask them what they want you to do on calls, whether it be stay near the engine or carry bags. remember that everyone has been the new guy or young guy, just because you are now doesnt mean they should treat you like crap or look down on you. keep a positive attitude. if you run into someone like the guy who commented above this and really doesnt seem to want you around, just avoid him and find someone with a better attitude. good luck and have fun

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by law189 View Post
    if they will let you participate and your allowed to then do it. ask questions at the right time (end of a call), try and find someone who doesnt mind you being there and will let you shadow them. ask them what they want you to do on calls, whether it be stay near the engine or carry bags. remember that everyone has been the new guy or young guy, just because you are now doesnt mean they should treat you like crap or look down on you. keep a positive attitude. if you run into someone like the guy who commented above this and really doesnt seem to want you around, just avoid him and find someone with a better attitude. good luck and have fun
    Well said. The reality is, some firefighters don't want Explorers (kids) around during a call. Go to someone who won't mind you being there and ask what you need to be doing. After a while, what you have to do it just becomes automatic.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    First of all, a ride out is exactly what it sounds like, you ride with a department for a few hours or a day.

To the OP:
    Don't do anything explorer343 said. You are there as an observer, NOT a participant! If they ask you to get a tool, do it but stay near the rig most of the time. Do not ask questions during a run,wait till the ride back or when your at the station, they have stuff to be doing besides answering questions. If you want, bring a small pad and pencil to write down your questions so you don't forget. Ok, E343 was right about one thing, dont be a pest. That means know when to keep quiet and when the right time to ask questions are.

Lastly, bring some sort of (good) food for the guys.
    This guy is an obvious example of a person who doesn't want Explorers near a call. This guys philosophy happens to be a strict detention-hall monitor type person who treats Exploring like the military. Of course, during a call, you don't just do whatever you want to. But once you learn the ropes, then you'll begin to just know what is expected of you automatically.

Forum Member

Smile Thanks

Thanks everyone. I'll ask when I arrive to see what to do and what to do on future calls. Thanks everyone.
    -------------------------
    "If you can dream it, you can do it."

Walt Disney

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343 View Post
    This guy is an obvious example of a person who doesn't want Explorers near a call. This guys philosophy happens to be a strict detention-hall monitor type person who treats Exploring like the military. Of course, during a call, you don't just do whatever you want to. But once you learn the ropes, then you'll begin to just know what is expected of you automatically.

Actually Oh Supreme Explorer, Jack pretty well hit the nail on the head. On a ride-along you are not there to participate, you are there to observe and learn. Depending on the dept, some I know let the General Public go for ride alongs. If this is his situation no they will not let him participate mostly for insurance reasons. If he is a explorer with a career dept chances are the probably the same thing with them. They expect him to observe the Firefighters not to be helping them. Also in regards to the military, whats wrong with bringing some sort of military style philosophys into it. The military instills many great quality's into it's members many of which are usefull in the fire service. Having strict guildlines is a good thing because when things are too relaxed bad things can happen. The last thing anybody wants is to have somebody who is on a ride along to get injured. Once again someone disagrees with you and now your having a big issue with it. Some things will never change I guess.

BTW last I checked Jacks signature has the words IACOJ Explorer in it. Now correct me if I'm wrong but that would kind of lead me to beleive he is an explorer.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Actually Oh Supreme Explorer, Jack pretty well hit the nail on the head. On a ride-along you are not there to participate, you are there to observe and learn. Depending on the dept, some I know let the General Public go for ride alongs. If this is his situation no they will not let him participate mostly for insurance reasons. If he is a explorer with a career dept chances are the probably the same thing with them. They expect him to observe the Firefighters not to be helping them. Also in regards to the military, whats wrong with bringing some sort of military style philosophys into it. The military instills many great quality's into it's members many of which are usefull in the fire service. Having strict guildlines is a good thing because when things are too relaxed bad things can happen. The last thing anybody wants is to have somebody who is on a ride along to get injured. Once again someone disagrees with you and now your having a big issue with it. Some things will never change I guess.

BTW last I checked Jacks signature has the words IACOJ Explorer in it. Now correct me if I'm wrong but that would kind of lead me to beleive he is an explorer.
    Jack and ndvfdff both hit the nail on the head. E343 hit my thumb, again.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    Jack and ndvfdff both hit the nail on the head. E343 hit my thumb, again.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly.

Doesn't that hurt like a son of a gun!?!?!?

I'm gonna go ice it and take some advil.

But, I'll be lurking!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

First off, Thank you Ryan, RF, and RFRD.

Now, I am an explorer, next month will mark my fourth year as an explorer. When I first joined the program, it was still kind of new, and, with the exception of a few, we were not well received by the department. Over time that has changed. Good advisor's, officers and dedicated members coupled with strict rules has proved to the department we are worth something. Last year the commissioners doubled our budget and started paying for uniforms. Every company in the department has invited us to their monthly drills. I'm sorry if you don't like my way of doing things, but they work for us, and they kept our program from falling apart.

Lastly I want to say something about this quote:
    "person who treats Exploring like the military."

The fire service is a Para-Military organization. I have heard the term a hundred times and I'm sure over time you will too. It means something, but my hand has a cramp-someone pick this up please.

Jack
    Last edited by jacklrd; 10-02-2007 at 09:26 PM.

Forum Member

First off, Thank you Ryan, RF, and RFRD.

Now, I am an explorer, next month will mark my fourth year as an explorer. When I first joined the program, it was still kind of new, and, with the exception of a few, we were not well received by the department. Over time that has changed. Good advisor's, officers and dedicated members coupled with strict rules has proved to the department we are worth something. Last year the commissioners doubled our budget and started paying for uniforms. Every company in the department has invited us to their monthly drills. I'm sorry if you don't like my way of doing things, but they work for us, and they kept our program from falling apart.

Lastly I want to say something about this quote:
    "person who treats Exploring like the military."

The fire service is a Para-Military organization. I have heard the term a hundred times and I'm sure over time you will to. It means something, but my hand has a cramp-someone pick this up please.

Jack
    I understand that Exploring is "para-military" which means that we TONS of tradition and rules to keep us organized and safe. But if you have a medical certification or the firefighters feel like you have enough training to help on the fireground, then chances are they will ask you to help out. If you don't pay attention or have no medical training, then they will only ask you to do minimal stuff (if any) such as retrieve bags, tanks, etc. At least that is how it is on my dept.

To OP: Just do what you are told to do. It is difficult to predict (from my viewpoint) what they will ask you to do. Many factors come into play such as training, situation, etc.

I understand that Exploring is "para-military" which means that we TONS of tradition and rules to keep us organized and safe. But if you have a medical certification or the firefighters feel like you have enough training to help on the fireground, then chances are they will ask you to help out. If you don't pay attention or have no medical training, then they will only ask you to do minimal stuff (if any) such as retrieve bags, tanks, etc. At least that is how it is on my dept.

To OP: Just do what you are told to do. It is difficult to predict (from my viewpoint) what they will ask you to do. Many factors come into play such as training, situation, etc.
    Bottom Line- Kids (you and me) are lucky to be allowed on a fireground. We should be far away from anything thats burning or anyone who is hurt or sick. Regardless of what certs you have you lack one very important thing-experience. You are not needed on the fireground. Yea, I know you help, with out you the firemen would have to walk 20 feet back to the truck to get a hook, blah blah blah. Firefighting happens every day with out explorers there to help. Honestly-we're more of a liability at a fire then a help-Period.

Forum Member

I am a Per-diem FF/EMT and I dont mind having explorers around at the firehouse or at the scene. The only problem I have is when they are gung ho and get in the way. If they stay out of the way and ask if they can help that is great but don't do anything you arent told to do. Also before you go on the first run of the day make sure you talk to the officer on the rig you are riding on. The first call of the day is not the time to find out what you are supposed to be doing or even worse not doing.

Forum Member

Bottom Line- Kids (you and me) are lucky to be allowed on a fireground. We should be far away from anything thats burning or anyone who is hurt or sick. Regardless of what certs you have you lack one very important thing-experience. You are not needed on the fireground. Yea, I know you help, with out you the firemen would have to walk 20 feet back to the truck to get a hook, blah blah blah. Firefighting happens every day with out explorers there to help. Honestly-we're more of a liability at a fire then a help-Period.
    uh huh.. dude your right and wrong at the same time.. ive been involved with the fire services as a explorer for 2 years and a Jr Firefighter where i just moved to.. and yes your right it is danngerous and in some points your right we probably shouldnt be near burning cars or buildings or what ever.. but were there because our departments feel as though we are able to assist in some way or maybe expand our knowlege by watching them work. so honestly if you dont understand that you should probably not be a explorer or Jr firefighter what ever your department calls it

Permanently Removed

regardless of certs you have you lack experience jack? everyone lacks experience when they start. everyone had a first call, first fire, first cpr, there is only one way to experience. i understand explorers are limited but they can do some things and do more than just watch the show. maybe you should take your own advice and listen to people higher than the explorer level. if someone came to my company and asked what they could and could not do i would explain the best i could. if someone came, didnt ask questions, and just watched everything i would think they are there for entertainment. don't step on my toes, but don't stand around either....there are plenty of guys doing that anyways

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by swfire42 View Post
    I am a Per-diem FF/EMT and I dont mind having explorers around at the firehouse or at the scene. The only problem I have is when they are gung ho and get in the way. If they stay out of the way and ask if they can help that is great but don't do anything you arent told to do. Also before you go on the first run of the day make sure you talk to the officer on the rig you are riding on. The first call of the day is not the time to find out what you are supposed to be doing or even worse not doing.
    Why wait to ask what you need to do in every circumstance?

I know that at our dept. there is a daily duties list that needs to be completed and it is different for each day. All I would have to do, is look at the list and I could start helping the guys with things.

I can understand where you are coming from if by doing stuff without being told, you mean like pulling a line, etc. But I have stopped at accidents before the rigs got on scene and when they got there the officers got out, asked me what I had, i gave them my report, then without being asked, got the backboard, CIDs, and cot out. I wouldn't consider this out of line, and obviously they didnt either.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

regardless of certs you have you lack experience jack? everyone lacks experience when they start. everyone had a first call, first fire, first cpr, there is only one way to experience. i understand explorers are limited but they can do some things and do more than just watch the show. maybe you should take your own advice and listen to people higher than the explorer level. if someone came to my company and asked what they could and could not do i would explain the best i could. if someone came, didnt ask questions, and just watched everything i would think they are there for entertainment. don't step on my toes, but don't stand around either....there are plenty of guys doing that anyways
    Good point. You gotta learn sometime, don't ya?

Good point. You gotta learn sometime, don't ya?
    Yea, you do, when your a member of the department. Before that, drilling is enough.

I don't respond to Law189 because his opinions are not really his opinions, they are what he thinks will **** the most people off or stir the pot the most.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoSuperman View Post
    Thanks
    You should probably ask your Explorer leader, or make contact with the Department before you go. I'm sure there are guidelines, written and/or unwritten, they follow. Find a mentor and stick with them throughout the shift. Be respectful and mind your manners. Thank them for the opportunity.

Doughnuts wouldn't hurt either. Can you cook???
    Last edited by davjohnson; 10-03-2007 at 03:50 PM.

Permanently Removed

you know jack its funny you wont respond because other people do and they even agree. you just happen to be some kid who thinks he knows everything and if someone doesnt agree you wont deal with them. if thats your attitude and you cant deal with other people even if you think they are just getting under your skin then you should probably just end your "career" at fire recruit. i simply say get involved, dont step on toes, and be a part of the house as much as you can and you think im "stirring the pot"? If you came to my station and sat on your hands all day id leave you at the station when we did get a call.

Forum Member

To law189: Just wondering, are you a firefighter or Explorer/Jr. FF?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post

"IACOJ" means what?

Where are the hottest ones?
    go old school......no gloves!!!
    at approximately 1600 hours your station gets a call for 125 main st, an address you go to at least daily for the same fire alarm that happens at 1600 hours and more. So you know it will be a false alarm because you have this call everyday at 1600 hours. The problem is you just sat down in the middle of a really big deuce that you have been trying to drop all day. You work on a four man engine. Do you pinch it off and probably poop your turnouts or let the three others go to the false alarm while you have a real one?
    This ones my favorite:
    ps i noticed volley crew.....how many of the 5 were sober and how many responded from the bar?
    You really think I should take you seriously? These are just a few of my favorite. As I said, I don't feel like wasting my time arguing with someone who wants to argue for the fun of it.

Have a great day.

Thread Information