Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 142
  1. #41
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    9,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GodSendRain View Post
    Yeah, but imagine if you had gone home to tell her you punched the thug in the throat and crushed his larynx. That sounds a lot sexier, and you get to keep the ring.
    Nice joke. I could also just as easily end up dead given that scenario. I'd rather give up the ring.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."


  2. #42
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    9,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steamin441 View Post
    I wonder if the French thought that as Germany eminent domained their a... Ever notice how the first thing done in the conquered land is to get the new flag up?
    And your point is? The French's ability to resist was minimal. Your scenario is similar to what is going on Iraq. The French weren't able to confront the Germans militarily so they fought unconventionally via the French Resistance. The insurgents in Iraq are in no way capable of fighting us head on in a fight, so they are fighting us unconventionally. To use a historical comparison. If the Revolutionary War is the model, the US is the British.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  3. #43
    Forum Member firecat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Betwixt here and there.
    Posts
    3,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    You may want to reread this thread. I was compared to mass murderers. You'll have to pardon me if I take offense to that.
    You know that there are going to be extremists in every discussion, folks that go too far and get unacceptably crass in expressing themselves, sometimes just to see if they can push someone else's buttons. I am not of that school of thought. I don't get my jollies by argueing; only calm, rational discussion of an issue is worth the effort of thought and response. I refuse to get embroiled in a any form of hair pulling and name calling, written or verbal.

    I asked you a simple, polite question; would you please politely give a direct answer? Will you admit that a symbol, be it a flag, a ring, a building, can be and often is, the physical manifestation of a belief or ideal and, as such, can generate deep emotional attachment to said item, thus making it worth fighting or at least standing up for?
    Last edited by firecat1; 10-05-2007 at 07:53 PM. Reason: spelling

  4. #44
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    9,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    Will you admit that a symbol, be it a flag, a ring, a building, can be and often is, the physical manifestation of a belief or ideal and, as such, can generate deep emotional attachment to said item, thus making it worth fighting or at least standing up for?
    To some. Not me. The first rule of the fire service is life over property. I see no reason why that belief isn't used for other issues. Rings and flags can be replaced. Buildings can be rebuilt. The dead can never be brought back to life.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  5. #45
    Forum Member firecat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Betwixt here and there.
    Posts
    3,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    To some....
    That is the only part of your overall answer that is directly answering my specific question. What was so hard about making that response?

  6. #46
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    And your point is? The French's ability to resist was minimal. Your scenario is similar to what is going on Iraq. The French weren't able to confront the Germans militarily so they fought unconventionally via the French Resistance. The insurgents in Iraq are in no way capable of fighting us head on in a fight, so they are fighting us unconventionally. To use a historical comparison. If the Revolutionary War is the model, the US is the British.
    I don't seem to recall the minutemen intentionally slaughtering innocent women and children in market squares. They did throw some tea into the water once. A travesty indeed.

    So, is there any justification for the terrorist tactics we are seeing in the mideast? Are they not deplorable acts in themselves and nothing more, nothing less? If the sniping of British officers with Kentucky long rifles was appalling in its day, simply imagine the shock of witnessing patriots steering flaming gun powder wagons into Boston schoolyards full of children with minimal chance of killing a few enemy soldiers. Oh wait, the British wouldn't have been hiding in school yards - another deplorable tactic our modern enemy uses.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

    http://www.lettertogop.com/

  7. #47
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    9,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GodSendRain View Post
    I don't seem to recall the minutemen intentionally slaughtering innocent women and children in market squares. They did throw some tea into the water once. A travesty indeed.

    So, is there any justification for the terrorist tactics we are seeing in the mideast? Are they not deplorable acts in themselves and nothing more, nothing less? If the sniping of British officers with Kentucky long rifles was appalling in its day, simply imagine the shock of witnessing patriots steering flaming gun powder wagons into Boston schoolyards full of children with minimal chance of killing a few enemy soldiers. Oh wait, the British wouldn't have been hiding in school yards - another deplorable tactic our modern enemy uses.
    Absolutely not. I was making a comparison between a militarily superior foe being confronted by those in opposition of lesser ability. I never said the terrorists doing all the things you state as being honorable or ethical.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  8. #48
    Permanently Removed CALFFBOU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6,520

    Default

    I say- ITS ABOUT TIME!!!

    America has gotten so soft were we have to let everything slide and bow to everyone's rights, objections and feelings.

    Thank you to the man that walked up with the knife. America needs a shot in the arm right now. We need to stop suing each other and get back to basics.

    About f-ing time.

  9. #49
    MembersZone Subscriber Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    I say- ITS ABOUT TIME!!!

    Thank you to the man that walked up with the knife. America needs a shot in the arm right now. We need to stop suing each other and get back to basics.

    About f-ing time.
    I totally agree!!!!

    Thank you oh bearded one with the knife.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In my house
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    Hate to say it. But he has a point. An American citizen flew his private owned flag over his other privately owned flag on his privately own property. Did the guy with the "American Army Knife" (made in japan...lol) over react...YES. And for what A symbol of a country?! Kind of silly.

    I can see the point scfire86 is making. Did scfire86 have to a pompous *****, by trying to seem smarter than the average bear, about it when people got mad about his response...NO. What else do you expect. Most people are still PO about 9/11. And are still on a rant.Sorry scfire86 though you have a valid point, you should have expected the response.
    Yes but the jackass flying the flags was making a very bad statement. He was putting Mexico over America. If that is the way he feels then ship his tired butt back! Maybe you wouldn't mind if the same goof came in and took a big dump on your departments patch! The POS made a statement by doing what he did, and a fine American citizen did what the PC people don't have the guts to do. By that man who ripped down the flag a keg!!!!

  11. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In my house
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    To some. Not me. The first rule of the fire service is life over property. I see no reason why that belief isn't used for other issues. Rings and flags can be replaced. Buildings can be rebuilt. The dead can never be brought back to life.
    So I guess you would have no problem using the "N" word would you. After all, it is only a word.

  12. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In my house
    Posts
    2,332

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    And your point is? The French's ability to resist was minimal. Your scenario is similar to what is going on Iraq. The French weren't able to confront the Germans militarily so they fought unconventionally via the French Resistance. The insurgents in Iraq are in no way capable of fighting us head on in a fight, so they are fighting us unconventionally. To use a historical comparison. If the Revolutionary War is the model, the US is the British.
    Good point, we as Americans aren't going to just roll over and let the foreigners take over our country. We have a greater will and desire to resist.

  13. #53
    MembersZone Subscriber ffscm72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Greenwood, DE, USA
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    Yes but the jackass flying the flags was making a very bad statement. He was putting Mexico over America. If that is the way he feels then ship his tired butt back! Maybe you wouldn't mind if the same goof came in and took a big dump on your departments patch! The POS made a statement by doing what he did, and a fine American citizen did what the PC people don't have the guts to do. By that man who ripped down the flag a keg!!!!
    Simma-down-nah! Just trying to look at both sides. Now if someone took a crap on my company's patch question. I wouldn't really care. Not like he crapped in my boot! It's just a symbol of the dept. Not like I can't get another one for $3.50...lol If he blew up the fire dept.? I'd be hurt emotionally i'd bet. But we would rebuild. Hopefully no one would be hurt.

    Only thing is that some people are taking this a little far. So he made a bad statement and put his foot in his mouth. Like we all haven't. Some of us on here are talking about this flag statement like he has planned a major invasion..lol

    Now I will agree with you in saying if he has such a big problem with america and then yes he can take his tired behind back to his original country and drop his legal citizenship status!

    Again just trying to see both sides.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

  14. #54
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    9,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    I totally agree!!!!

    Thank you oh bearded one with the knife.
    So you and Bou believe the person whose property was taken has no rights? What ever happened to the conservative mantra that a man's home is his castle? The bearded exercised a might makes right mentality. We claim to be a nation of laws, yet you support street justice.

    The bearded guy with the knife is a bully, plain and simple.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  15. #55
    Forum Member scfire86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HB
    Posts
    9,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    So I guess you would have no problem using the "N" word would you. After all, it is only a word.
    No I wouldn't use it. But feel free to come out to South LA and yell it at the top of your lungs. I wouldn't want to know what would happen to you, even if I don't approve.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

  16. #56
    MembersZone Subscriber ffscm72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Greenwood, DE, USA
    Posts
    516

    Thumbs down what would you do?

    Just had a guy walk in where I work and apparently some one decided to burn his American flag. Thankfully it didn't really catch well and possible burn his house down.

    Now what is the real issue in your opinion?

    A.) That an American Flag was burned.
    B.) That someone has a problem with lighters.
    C.) Or this person could have been hurt.

    What is the real issue? Why the hell would someone be so stupid to do that?
    Hopefully they will stomp this ********* into the ground for reasons A-C. Some seriously screwed up people!
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

  17. #57
    Forum Member DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    Hopefully they will stomp this ********* into the ground for reasons A-C. Some seriously screwed up people!
    Honestly, if it was his flag and his house, then he hasn't committed any crime. You can't really legislate effectively against stupid.

    If was someone else's flag and house you've got a pretty good arson case or at least reckless burning...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

  18. #58
    MembersZone Subscriber ffscm72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Greenwood, DE, USA
    Posts
    516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Honestly, if it was his flag and his house, then he hasn't committed any crime. You can't really legislate effectively against stupid.
    He stated he doesn't know who did it. I don't know the whole story I'm not the officer....lol

    Just the dispatcher...lol
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

  19. #59
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Thank you soldier. When the time comes and we the people of the U.S. have to finally take a stand to keep the soil of this great land free, I hope I can look to my side and see this man standing beside me. To me the American flag is a reminder of all the warriors that have lived and died defending our freedom. We as a country are being invaded very slowly. Anytime somebody disgraces our flag it should be a slap in the face to every American. Some say its only a piece of cloth, BULL****. Come on people quit being so naive about why people come to this great country and why other hate us so much. This is the best place on the planet to live. Don't believe me, then I ask you find someplace better, if you could. Then after you come crawling back we will talk. Again, thank you soldier.
    IACOJ - Senior Jake

  20. #60
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Memphis Tn,USA-now
    Posts
    5,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    We are flexible enough to accept your point of view, why will you not return the courtesy?
    Liberals expect that others bend to accept their pints of view but don't understand that in return,they have do accept other points of view as well.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. American Flag Etiquette
    By Diane E in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 01:04 PM
  2. 911 Flag Missing
    By SSTONER in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-02-2006, 05:26 AM
  3. June 14 --Flag Day
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-16-2006, 05:06 PM
  4. Helmet stickers
    By jrudolph in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 04:38 PM
  5. Flag mounting on apparatus...please help
    By SCOOBY14B in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-26-2001, 12:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts