+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Flag of Mexico Flown Illegally Over Reno Business

Greg Knight, News 4

This afternoon we received a call from a viewer who said a business near downtown Reno was flying a Mexican flag above an American flag... which is in fact illegal.

This, after photos and comments about the flag were posted on Craigslist this morning. When we were able to have a photographer go and check everything out we found the story to be true.

It also didn t take long before the situation provoked a strong reaction. We are now going to show you , unedited, what happened. Click on the video to see what happened.

http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7156726
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

LMAO...did you see the look on the owners face...lmao...He looked confused and scared at the same time...lmao..."whats he doing...Wow, thats a big knife. do I stop him or let him do it? There's that knife again! I'll wait till he's done"...lmao

But in all seriousness pretty sure the guy with the knife should have at least told the mexican guy what he was doing before he did it, instead of showing off in front of the camera. I'm sure the owner would have corrected the flags. Just an assumption though.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

I wonder if the Mexican guy knew what he was doing was against the law or even being disrespectful ? I think someone should have approached him and spoke with him first. If all else fails then do what you have to do. I just think that vet was also disrespectful to that Mexican flag. IMO I always respect all peoples flags the same I would my own.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF View Post
    I wonder if the Mexican guy knew what he was doing was against the law or even being disrespectful ? I think someone should have approached him and spoke with him first. If all else fails then do what you have to do. I just think that vet was also disrespectful to that Mexican flag. IMO I always respect all peoples flags the same I would my own.
    Good points all. The guy doing the cutting sounds like a cross between Larry the Cable Guy and Billy Bob Thornton's character in Sling Blade.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

The link isn't working at the moment...

Would someone care to summarize the story and explain exactly what was illegal about it?

Nevermind. I found the video. The only thing illegal was the ignorant moron who vandalized someone else's property.

http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7162515
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 10-03-2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Added URL
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF View Post
    It wasn't illegal, just against the code. It was certainly disrespectful!!

Forum Member

The video link up top is now not working so I found it online

******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

The code on how to display the American flag was read into law years ago.So,yes,it is illegal to fly flags of other nations above the American flag.
    It's also an insult to the host nation if you fly your flag above the flag of the nation that you are in.
    Mexicans are supposed to be passionate about being insulted so I figure that guy knew what he was doing when he hoisted colors that morning.

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    It wasn't illegal, just against the code. It was certainly disrespectful!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    The code on how to display the American flag was read into law years ago.
    I'm afraid you are mistaken. Look it up. The US Flag Code sets out a suggested standard for display and use of the flag. You'll notice it's liberally sprinkled with the keyword "should" (suggested) rather than "shall" (required).

So,yes,it is illegal to fly flags of other nations above the American flag.
    A breach of etiquette? Yes. Disrespectful? Only if it's intentional. Illegal? No.

Mexicans are supposed to be passionate about being insulted so I figure that guy knew what he was doing when he hoisted colors that morning.
    Throwing in a little bigotry, too?

The owner of the flags in question is an American, BTW.

UPDATE:

Nevada ACLU Releases Statement on Mexican Flag Flying Over American Flag

The ACLU of Nevada is concerned about recent media reports that it is "illegal" to fly foreign flags over the U.S. flag.

While there is indeed a federal law regulating the display of the U.S. flag, that law is merely advisory and simply codifies standard government practice in displaying the American flag.

Several federal courts have examined this law and held that the flag rules are not mandatory and cannot be enforced....

http://www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7163998
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 10-03-2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Added UPDATE

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    I'm afraid you are mistaken. Look it up. The US Flag Code sets out a suggested standard for display and use of the flag. You'll notice it's liberally sprinkled with the keyword "should" (suggested) rather than "shall" (required).

A breach of etiquette? Yes. Disrespectful? Only if it's intentional. Illegal? No.

Throwing in a little bigotry, too?

The owner of the flags in question is an American, BTW.

UPDATE:
    As much as I was offended by what transpired there on both parties behalf technicially the only one breaking the law was the man that cut the flag down. I would have asked the store owner to please fix them first and if he refused I too would have broken the law. I understand the passion the vet has and am too proud to be a vet, but as part of the military we were taught to attempt diplomatic avenues first, but also to Protect and Defend the Constitution against all enemies foriegn and domestic. I took that oath seriously and was never released from it even when I was Honerably Discharged from the service. There was alternative ways to have handled the situation, But I also spoke to a relative that was there prior to the filming and she said the owner was asked to fix it and did refuse. That is why he was standing out there when that all transpired, the vet warned him if he(store owner) did not fix it then he(vet) would. So in essence the vet did what I would have done , ask him to fix it and if he refused then do it myself and take my chances. I would rather defend and/or explain my actions then to try to defend a non action, or ask permission and wait to right a wrong.
    Imagine having done nothing. Could you live with that?
    If so, how does it feel to have pride in nothing?

And DeputyMarshal is correct on all counts for that post.
    Imagine Having done nothing.

150 years of tradition unhampered by progress!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ghost62 View Post
    Imagine having done nothing. Could you live with that?
    Yes.

If so, how does it feel to have pride in nothing?
    I have quite a bit of pride in America and being an American. Getting worked up over a piece of cloth that is probably made in China isn't something I would get in a fight over.

Forum Member

as part of the military we were taught to attempt diplomatic avenues first, but also to Protect and Defend the Constitution against all enemies foriegn and domestic. I took that oath seriously and was never released from it even when I was Honerably Discharged from the service.
    Thank you for speaking up as a veteran.

First of all, I'm not defending the flag owner's actions. I have no way to know if his actions were intentional or just ignorance of proper etiquette and respect for the US flag. In the end, that doesn't really matter anyway.

Let me suggest to you that protecting the Constitution includes protecting the Bill of Rights. The man who cut the flag down was blatantly infringing on the flag owner's 1st Amendment rights. One of the hallmarks of the American Constitution is that it protects everybody's rights -- including the flag owner's in this case. When the veteran in the video cut down that flag (and then stole it) he was in direct violation of his oath to protect the Constitution. He shamed himself and, by association, other veterans.

I don't know if he acting out of ignorance either but he was clearly in the wrong no matter how pure his intentions may have been. It's a shame that he apparently never learned what he was really protecting in the military.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Yes.

I have quite a bit of pride in America and being an American. Getting worked up over a piece of cloth that is probably made in China isn't something I would get in a fight over.
    Sir, it is more than a piece of cloth!!! It is a symbol of this great land and everything it stands for. When you put the stinking Mexican flag over the American flag while on American soil you are showing a great deal of disrespect for every veteran who fought for our freedoms. What is even more disgusting is the reason the POS was flying the Mexican flag in the first place.

Forum Member

Sir, it is more than a piece of cloth!!! It is a symbol of this great land and everything it stands for.
    Blah blah blah. Principles are worth fighting over. Like Freedom of Speech and Assembly (1st Ammendment), rights to privacy (4th Ammendment) etc. Symbols are not. One day if you're lucky you'll be able to discern the difference.

The GOP is currently in such disarray I'm expecting yet another lame attempt to outlaw flag burning any day.
    Last edited by scfire86; 10-04-2007 at 12:22 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

From another blog about this issue....

"Today you argue the flag is only piece of cloth with geometric shapes (or a symbol, if you will).

Tomorrow someone may say the Statue of Liberty and Liberty Bell are just meaningless pieces of metal.

After that someone will argue that the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are just meaningless words and a worthless piece of parchment.

I am not saying you are doing it. But we do need to be careful how easily we consign our symbols to the trash heap because once they lose value, it is immensely difficult to regain their value."

That being said, DM is right.
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ladder8 View Post

Tomorrow someone may say the Statue of Liberty and Liberty Bell are just meaningless pieces of metal.
    In some respects that is true. If a terrorist group (foreign or domestic) were to blow them up no one's life would be changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladder8 View Post
    After that someone will argue that the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution are just meaningless words and a worthless piece of parchment.
    One document is a statement of independence from a foreign occupying power. The other is a code of conduct agreed upon by representatives of US citizens. Again, if the documents were to be burned into ashes no one's life would change. What the documents state and the powers we as people give our elected representatives are far more important.

Forum Member

In some respects that is true. If a terrorist group (foreign or domestic) were to blow them up no one's life would be changed.

One document is a statement of independence from a foreign occupying power. The other is a code of conduct agreed upon by representatives of US citizens. Again, if the documents were to be burned into ashes no one's life would change. What the documents state and the powers we as people give our elected representatives are far more important.
    SC...you sir have to be one of the biggest blow hard liberals I have ever read. Every chance you get you berate on a low level anyone who stands (or types) for their beliefs or thoughts of this nation. To claim no one's life would change should the Statue of Liberty or Liberty Bell be blown up is as about as ignorant a statement you have ever made. Weren't the one Twin Towers just metal? The Pentagon? What about the people there? I think the thousands of people connected to those locations had their lives change. What about all the LEGAL immigrants that walked/floated or maybe even swam past Lady Liberty? Perhaps even your relatives did? I'd say they would disagree about their life not changing.

I do have one question for you? How many Che Guevara t-shirts do you own?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Resq1scnd2none View Post
    SC...you sir have to be one of the biggest blow hard liberals I have ever read. Every chance you get you berate on a low level anyone who stands (or types) for their beliefs or thoughts of this nation. To claim no one's life would change should the Statue of Liberty or Liberty Bell be blown up is as about as ignorant a statement you have ever made. Weren't the one Twin Towers just metal? The Pentagon? What about the people there? I think the thousands of people connected to those locations had their lives change. What about all the LEGAL immigrants that walked/floated or maybe even swam past Lady Liberty? Perhaps even your relatives did? I'd say they would disagree about their life not changing.
    I was referring to the objects themselves. You brought the people angle into it. That would change things significantly. Had no one been killed on 9/11 there would have been anger, but not the outrage that ensued over the destruction of both structures. Buildings can be replaced. The dead can not be brought back to life. Sorry that you can't or won't discern the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Resq1scnd2none View Post
    I do have one question for you? How many Che Guevara t-shirts do you own?
    Wow. Being compared to a communist? You're only about the 807th person on these boards to do that. You must be new. I'm not surprised you resort to a personal attacks. Conservatives have role models like Hannity, Limbaugh, and Coulter (all of whom resort to personal attacks), so I'm not surprised your thinking is so shallow.
    Last edited by scfire86; 10-04-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Forum Member

Wow. Being compared to a communist? You're only about the 807th person on these boards to do that. You must be new.
    You'd think he'd get the hint by now....
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Banned

Those objects stand for what we are as Americans, and there are people and people stories behind them. To call the flag an object shows a total lack of understanding of the history of this country and what the flag stands for.

13 Stripes - The Original Colonies
    50 Stars - One for each state

Then again, most haters of this country call the flag just an object as well. And those who really hate us (look at the middle east) will burn the flag.

Forum Member

Che was a Marxist...

are you like most of the sheep minded general public and wear 'cause its trendy to be against the current governmental administration? Not knowing what it (he) means or stands for.

P.S. Where did I say I was a Conservative? And even listen to Limbaugh, Colter,etc...
    Last edited by Resq1scnd2none; 10-04-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Forum Member

Those objects stand for what we are as Americans, and there are people and people stories behind them. To call the flag an object shows a total lack of understanding of the history of this country and what the flag stands for.

Then again, most haters of this country call the flag just an object as well. And those who really hate us (look at the middle east) will burn the flag.
    Yawn. Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. I never said the people or the prinicples aren't worth fighting over. I said the objects aren't worth dying over.

Big difference. Like I said earlier. With a little luck, one day you'll be able to tell the difference.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lauraboczek View Post
    You'd think he'd get the hint by now....
    Quote Originally Posted by Resq1scnd2none
    Che was a Marxist...

are you like most of the sheep minded general public and wear 'cause its trendy to be against the current governmental administration? Not knowing what it (he) means or stands for.
    You two are actually pretty funny. Can either of you point me to where I said I've supported communism? Of course not. Both of you just have a knee jerk reaction to someone that bothers to question the actions of our current idiot in chief.

I won't bore anyone with the gory details. But if I were to list the details of my assets you would know I couldn't possibly be a communist since I fully support the ownership of private property. I'm sure that's pretty cutting edge for both of you, so I won't expect either of you to understand.

Forum Member

You two are actually pretty funny.
    Thanks Lots of people think so.

Can either of you point me to where I said I've supported communism? Of course not. Both of you just have a knee jerk reaction to someone that bothers to question the actions of our current idiot in chief.
    I never said you supported communism. I was just saying...if 807 people have told you something, you think you'd get the hint...that's all. I think the idiot in chief is a retarded hillbilly and the whole country's gonna go to sh*t if some things don't change. Look at that - we have something in common....
    I won't bore anyone with the gory details. But if I were to list the details of my assets you would know I couldn't possibly be a communist since I fully support the ownership of private property. I'm sure that's pretty cutting edge for both of you, so I won't expect either of you to understand.
    Ohhh so you have lots of stuff, and that makes you better than us, huh? Wow. That takes real cajones to start talking about what kind of material crap you own or we don't own. You must have some big ones. But since we're on the subject, I'm a 26 year old woman, and I own my own home (A very nice one at that), a brand new car, and I own my own business. And I have plenty of toys. But I won't bore you with the gory details of all the "stuff" I own. Because it's not important to me. It's just stuff, I'm sure you wouldn't understand. My husband is medically retired from the United States Marine Corps. He was permanently disabled at the age of 22 while injured in an accident in the military. If you want to start talking about things that people wouldn't understand - imagine having a massive head injury and permanently losing sight in one eye and vision in one ear at the age of 22, and wanting to follow in your father's footsteps and do a job for the rest of your life, and after just 4 years, be hurt on the job to the point that you are disabled, and can no longer live your dream. I was going to say "the dream of being in the Marine Corps" but it doesn't sound like you're too hot on the good old US of A, so I can't imagine that you would want to serve our country. THAT is the kind of "stuff" that is important to a lot of us, especially being firefighters, many of us have military experience or families in the military. The material crap you own does not make you sh*t. (Pardon my language). It doesn't make you happy, or liked, or a good person. What you do and say, not what you own, makes you the person you are. So in my eyes, you don't look real appealing, even with all your "assets"...
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Forum Member

I can't believe I'm doing this but I actually agree with HT for once. As an Army vet, that "piece of fabric" gets hung outside my home every day to show respect for my homeland, honor for my fellow soldiers who have died defending this country and it even stands for the future hopes of this nation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread Information