Thread: Organizing ?

Forum Member

Default Organizing ?

My brothers and I have been trying to organize for two months now and havent had one phone call returned from the IAFF. Anybody here union and represented by another union? If so who and how has it worked out for you?
    Thanks

Forum Member

Default Iaff

You need to get with your State IAFF Association and they can help you through the process. If that doesn't work, contact your Regional VP for the IAFF and I am sure he will help.

MembersZone Subscriber

As stated before try to get ahold of your state association. The following should also help to get ahold of the international in DC:

IAFF Headquarters

United States
    1750 New York Avenue, NW Suite 300
    Washington, DC 20006-5395 Phone: 202.737.8484
    Fax: 202.737.8418

Forum Member

What do you mean by "represented by another union". Do you mean other than the IAFF or like us, represented by another depts IAFF local?

Forum Member

Other union would be Teamsters. I was told today that the IAFF isnt interested in having a 4 member local in its ranks, that we are more of a cost liability than we are worth, and they "didnt want us to climb a mountain that has no top" It was recommended that we go in as an A unit of someone elses local (there arent a lot of locals in this predominantly volunteer area, and where there is career there is enough animosity toward us small combination departments that there isnt a snowballs chance in hell that the locals here would want us) or join the teamsters because they would better represent us until we 1:had our first contract negotiated so that we wouldnt be a financial liability, and 2: we had enough members to be able to not be a financial burdon, as the IAFF has a responsability not to bankrupt itself with small departments.
    Funny, 10 years call and 8 years career. After all the years of being abused by the career guys about being call and non union I can honestly say that I'm not sure I even want to persue it. IAFF doesnt seem to understand what they could gain by not treating small departments like crap. Not everyone cal be LA County or Miami Dade. Seems like if you arent you're better off sticking with the call guys on your own department. 18 years and THEY'VE never turned thier backs on us, when my fellow "professionals" did today.
    Oh yeah. One phone call to the Teamsters and they'll have someone out this week to talk to us and bring us cards. Two months of hounding the IAFF to get blown off.
    Nice

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Iaff

This months IAFF magazine has lists of new locals, about 6-8 of these are locals of less than a dozen members including many 4 member locals. I can tell you the teamsters are a good union, having been a member, but they will not represent you like the IAFF. I am not sure who you talked to, but I am at a IAFF function in Chicago as I write this and would be happy to get someone in touch with you.

Thread Information