Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Why Are They Scared of 3rd Parties?

In my State (Oklahoma) it is pretty near impossible to get on the ballot as a 3rd party candidate. We are the only State that only had 2 choises to pick from during the last presidential election. We have the strictest ballot access laws in the nation.

Every effort to change the law has been met with iron-fast resistance from both the Democrats and the Republicans. Why is it that BOTH parties hate the concept of having a 3rd party thrown in the mix. Remember 1991? The 3rd parties cost Bush the election, in 1999 the third parties cost Gore the election. Everytime someone looses by a small margin, it is the fault of the minor parties. They "steal" votes from the major candidates.

Are the major parties worried that if there is more choise, we would not choose them?

Is it a case of: "We might be liberal extremists, but thats better than being a righwing extremist!" (and vice versa)?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Are the major parties worried that if there is more choise, we would not choose them?
    I think that is the answer you are looking for.

While I'm a conservative, I have no love for the Republican party. Most Democrats make my skin crawl. The two parties would love to eliminate any serious competition and make all elections about them.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Banned

The sad part is the Democrats aren't giving me anything to choose from. I don't know who will get the Republican nod, but It will be impossible for me to vote for the most self centered useless Billary Clinton. And if Obama doesn't stop talking about a national health care plan he will loose my vote as well. Less Government, Less Taxes, that is all I ask. Give me back my freedom!!!!

Hook & Can

There is also a lack of education among the American voting populace (I know...shocking, isn't it?).

Here in NJ, I assisted a little with the petition in getting Michael Peroutka (Contsitution Party) on the ballot for the last Presidential election. So many people I talked to didn't know there was more than the Demicans and Republicrats.

I heard more than once, that someone was "voting for the lesser of two evils." Well, the lesser of two evils is...yes...still evil.

Heck, I had one co-worker say that he didn't even want to sign because he didn't want anyone on the ballot that may take votes from his candidate (Dubya). Now? All he does is bitch and complain about "his" candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    Abso-freakin-lutely. The system is gamed against third party candidates. Getting a candidate on the ballot is tedious and difficult. Almost every state has different rules on qualifying. The two parties are a virtual monopoly.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    Less Government, Less Taxes, that is all I ask. Give me back my freedom!!!!
    I always like it when conservatives claim to be victims. You have your freedom now. You just choose to not exercise it.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Yeah, get out and walk.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nine3Probie View Post
    There is also a lack of education among the American voting populace (I know...shocking, isn't it?).

Here in NJ, I assisted a little with the petition in getting Michael Peroutka (Contsitution Party) on the ballot for the last Presidential election. So many people I talked to didn't know there was more than the Demicans and Republicrats.

I heard more than once, that someone was "voting for the lesser of two evils." Well, the lesser of two evils is...yes...still evil.

Heck, I had one co-worker say that he didn't even want to sign because he didn't want anyone on the ballot that may take votes from his candidate (Dubya). Now? All he does is bitch and complain about "his" candidate.
    I have made the same exact observation and have been berated for it. I wish we could put out a simple test that would test the potential voter on where a candidate stands on 10 different issues. If they can pass the test then you get to vote.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I always like it when conservatives claim to be victims. You have your freedom now. You just choose to not exercise it.
    Oh really!!! I want to subdivide MY 100 acres of land into building lots, the government says I can't do that. I want to get 3 or 4 old cars and restore them. Government says I can't keep them in my yard. I want to build a simple house with 2 x 4 s. I want to get my water from a hand pump outside, there will be an outhouse for going to the bathroom, government says I can't do that. I don't want to waste money on extra gas that is needed for the pollution controls on MY car, government says I can't do that. I want to pt in a septic system and not use the municipal sewage system, government says I can't do that. In some places, I just want to let the grass grow on my line, government says I can't do that. The government is taking away our freedoms a little slice at a time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Yeah, get out and walk.
    Sorry, you will need a license to walk the trails and you need to pay a fee to use the trailsl. And next year, you will have to register your walking shoes and have them inspected monthly.....

Thread Information