1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,065

    Default average age of engines

    Ok --- if you have a 40 year old engine and a 10 year old engine and want to replace the 40 year old one, how do they figure the average? Also how do runs and population calculate?

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Alum Bank, PA
    Posts
    580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Ok --- if you have a 40 year old engine and a 10 year old engine and want to replace the 40 year old one, how do they figure the average? Also how do runs and population calculate?
    40 plus 10 equals 50, divided by 2 engines..... average age of 25 years. As for your calls, go right off of your reports. Be sure not to include mutual aid assists as you primaries. As far as population, use the 2000 census data off of the website. Hope this helps.

    Kelly

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Western Maryland
    Posts
    65

    Red face Average engine age

    And just make sure that you are using the average age of your WHOLE FLEET, not just the type of vehicle that you are looking to replace.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    WJVaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dickson TN
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ENG121 View Post
    And just make sure that you are using the average age of your WHOLE FLEET, not just the type of vehicle that you are looking to replace.
    Ok, now I am confuzed again. I thought it was avarage age of the type of vehicle you were replacing. ie, tanker, engine. I know I read that in the boards here somewhere at one point.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Western Maryland
    Posts
    65

    Smile Average vehicle age

    I am by no means a guru at this, so I will defer to to Brian, Kurt, Earl or many of the others that contribute to this forum. We just started applying for the AFG last year with help from Brian. We were awarded last year for PPE/SCBA and RIT equipment. We were awarded in round 5 this year for 2 Thermal Imaging camera's and we are still in the running for a new mini-pumper/quick attack. In each of the grants, we put our entire fleet listing and the average age of all the vehicles. We have a 32 year old mini-pumper and a 27 year old engine/tanker, yet we had to average in the age of our 6 year old engine and our 8 year old special unit/utility. This brought our average age down quite a bit, but we are still in the area for consideration. Hope this helps!

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ENG121 View Post
    I am by no means a guru at this, so I will defer to to Brian, Kurt, Earl or many of the others that contribute to this forum. We just started applying for the AFG last year with help from Brian. We were awarded last year for PPE/SCBA and RIT equipment. We were awarded in round 5 this year for 2 Thermal Imaging camera's and we are still in the running for a new mini-pumper/quick attack. In each of the grants, we put our entire fleet listing and the average age of all the vehicles. We have a 32 year old mini-pumper and a 27 year old engine/tanker, yet we had to average in the age of our 6 year old engine and our 8 year old special unit/utility. This brought our average age down quite a bit, but we are still in the area for consideration. Hope this helps!
    I was told the same thing. Average age of ALL firefighting vehicles.

    T.J.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    SW MO
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    I may be wrong, but my understanding is there's a couple of factors here. First is the computer scoring and the average fleet age. If you've got a new fleet (I'm going to deal with this in the future as we have an '07 pumper/tanker and are ordering an '08 quick attack to join an '89 pumper; leaves an average fleet age of 8 y.o.).

    Next, you have to show your need in the narrative for peer review. Here's where you're going to push your age in that category, particularly the age of the truck you're replacing.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Catch22 is on it. Two parts to the scoring--average age of total fleet, including vehicles on order. The other consideration on vehicles is the age of the newest of the type being applied for. I'm sure there's more, but it's a secret.

    earl

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Peter, IL
    Posts
    83

    Default

    We have a 1968 pumper and a 1985 pumper, 1994 tanker and a 2003 brush truck. We were awarded in a new pumper in round 9 to replace the 1968. We only run an average of 20-24 calls per year. If I remember right, the age of the vehicles on the vehicle request grant were listed by classification. On the main grant portion it has a place to list all vehicle in the fleet and gives an average age. I may be wrong on that, Ive slept once or twice since ive looked at it.

    The important thing is the narrative. That is where you have to plead your case to the peer reviewers. Dont fib about your numbers. Ive heard (just a rumor) a department in this region got audited from a grant several years ago and were unable to prove their call volume they listed and have to return over 100k.
    SPFD 1800
    MABAS DIV 54

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Junior FFs are Firefighters
    By mtfirejunior in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 05:19 PM
  2. Where's Fyred????
    By ChicagoFF in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 427
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 12:53 PM
  3. What Age ?
    By PennsFF in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 04:11 PM
  4. Whats your age again?
    By MVFD81 in forum Fire Explorer & Jr. Firefighting
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 07-13-2003, 08:07 PM
  5. age limits ????
    By jeg532 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2001, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register