FH Mag/.com Contributor

Thumbs up One State doing good by NTIA...

http://www.aledotimesrecord.com/arti...plications.txt

IEMA now accepting applications for $36.4 million in grants to public safety agencies for interoperable communications

SPRINGFIELD (10-02-07) -- The Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) is encouraging law enforcement agencies, fire departments, emergency management agencies, public health departments and other public safety organizations to apply for funding the State of Illinois received from the National Telecommunications and Information System (NTIA) to help them improve interoperable communications.

"It's critical during emergencies that first responders have the ability to communicate with other responders, whether at a disaster scene itself or throughout an affected region," said IEMA Director Andrew Velasquez III. "Gov. Blagojevich has made interoperable communications a top priority for public safety, and that's why Illinois already has invested nearly $11 million to equip more than 2,000 police, fire, emergency management and public health agencies with STARCOM 21 interoperable radios. The grants being offered now provide an opportunity for local public safety agencies to link to this statewide communications system."

The Public Safety Interoperable Communications (PSIC) Grant Program, administered by IEMA, is a matching grant program intended to increase the usage of Illinois' interoperable platform and enhance voice-based emergency communications capabilities. In July, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) awarded $36.4 million to Illinois to fund local interoperable communications projects. Of that total, $16.2 million is earmarked for the Chicago/Cook County Urban Area Security Initiative (UASI) area.

To be eligible for PSIC funding, a public safety agency must be a state or local government entity or authorized nongovernmental organization. A public safety agency may include homeland security, law enforcement, fire and emergency medical services, among others. PSIC grant rules also require that applications represent a multi-jurisdictional, regional group of public safety agencies. Single agency applications are ineligible according to Federal grant guidance.

Each application requesting PSIC funds is required to document the ability to make a 20 percent statutory match for the project. The match must come from non-federal sources, and can be met through cash or in-kind sources. An agency may only participate in a single project application.

The application period for PSIC grants began Monday and ends at 11:59 p.m. on Nov. 9, 2007. Applications must be received electronically by that time to be considered for funding. Approved projects will be announced in early December 2007. Project work must be completed by July 31, 2010.

More information about the PSIC grant program and applications are available at www.ileas.org. Questions regarding the program should be directed to Don Kauerauf, PSIC Program Manager, at (217) 557-4831 or by email at don.kauerauf@illinois.gov. Technical questions regarding Illinois' interoperability platform should be directed to Steven Jackson, Communications Officer, Illinois Emergency Management Agency, at (217) 557-2746 or by email at steven.jackson@illinois.gov.
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Forum Member

Default From the state that brought you MABAS

This press relesase was sent out to everyone today; and we had a meeting about the grant program a few weeks back that was open to everyone.
    The workshop covered the basics and told folks where to go to find info.

I am finishing up 2nd version of narrative/questions and sending them out for review(proofing)...

We have come a long way from the old micor's

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by AFD2181 View Post
    This press relesase was sent out to everyone today; and we had a meeting about the grant program a few weeks back that was open to everyone.
    The workshop covered the basics and told folks where to go to find info.

I am finishing up 2nd version of narrative/questions and sending them out for review(proofing)...

We have come a long way from the old micor's
    .......and I'm still waiting for that draft Chris. Oh and by the way for those naysayers of several months ago who said the local agencies would not see any of the NTIA PSIC money; I told you so. Bet you are glad you started preparing when you did now aren't you Chris? Now for those of you who still don't believe it, start getting yourselves ready as congress has approved $550 million a year for ICE grants out till 2012.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt,
    Is this funding available to Florida, or have I missed the boat?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

IL is the only state so far opening it up. MO, TX, and a pile of others have already spent the money.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    IL is the only state so far opening it up. MO, TX, and a pile of others have already spent the money.
    From what I've understood of things, Missouri is spending the money on a series of microwave repeaters to link up the entire state. Instead of doing this in earlier grant programs, they allowed local agencies to purchase radios. Basically, they figure they've done things bass ackwards and are trying to correct it. I've seen the "plan" somewhere; I need to look and see if I can find it again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    .......and I'm still waiting for that draft Chris. Oh and by the way for those naysayers of several months ago who said the local agencies would not see any of the NTIA PSIC money; I told you so. Bet you are glad you started preparing when you did now aren't you Chris? Now for those of you who still don't believe it, start getting yourselves ready as congress has approved $550 million a year for ICE grants out till 2012.
    Working on plugging narrative into actual application and will fire that off this weekend... moving things off plate to get ready for FPW and then back to grants.

Hmmmm 550million for ICE......that would go could with Capt's n Coke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    From what I've understood of things, Missouri is spending the money on a series of microwave repeaters to link up the entire state. Instead of doing this in earlier grant programs, they allowed local agencies to purchase radios. Basically, they figure they've done things bass ackwards and are trying to correct it. I've seen the "plan" somewhere; I need to look and see if I can find it again.

Sounds like your state is doing reverse of Illinois... Here the state built the system along with private company and now they are handing out radios to everyone and allowing them to hop on system.

Forum Member

Any info about NC? I haven't heard anything from emerg management or higher.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hmvfd577 View Post
    Any info about NC? I haven't heard anything from emerg management or higher.
    NC State Patrol has been grabbing all the IC money for last several years building out the towers for 800mhz so you probabaly need to check your Homeland Security directors office with what is occuring now that this latest roundf of awards has been announced.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Although Missouri has purchased and been donated a number of
    former AT&T, MCI, and IXC tower sites, somd of the donations thanks to
    wonderful selfless kind guy in southern mo (I crack myself up), the
    expansion of it, as well as more sites is presently on hold.

The latest round went to local law agencies again, as well as some ending up with RSOCS.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Although Missouri has purchased and been donated a number of
    former AT&T, MCI, and IXC tower sites, somd of the donations thanks to
    wonderful selfless kind guy in southern mo (I crack myself up), the
    expansion of it, as well as more sites is presently on hold.

The latest round went to local law agencies again, as well as some ending up with RSOCS.
    Of course they would change things around. However, I must say, that's one helluva guy to donate tower sites like that.

Say, you didn't help an ambulance in the Monett area with a tower by chance? Didn't know if you had any in this neck of the woods or not.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wish someone had donated an att tower to us. We just had to sign a 10 year contract to move to an old att microwave tower that some big company owns. It will definitely beat the water tank we are setting on now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Of course they would change things around. However, I must say, that's one helluva guy to donate tower sites like that.

Say, you didn't help an ambulance in the Monett area with a tower by chance? Didn't know if you had any in this neck of the woods or not.
    Used to have a tower at Friestatt, but that went to the state. Otherwise
    the closest is Neosho and Joplin, Springfield, etc...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    I wish someone had donated an att tower to us. We just had to sign a 10 year contract to move to an old att microwave tower that some big company owns. It will definitely beat the water tank we are setting on now.
    Know the tower! Know the company! Good to have money!

I heard of a tower going up right there in your county seat,
    the guy said it would be a 350 foot self supporter, but I don't
    know if that panned out. I bet you could get a free spot there.

If you were in Lawencburg, Waynesboro, Michie, all along the southern
    part of TN, and the eastern part, I know a guy who would probably go no charge, as long as your county mowed once and a while.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    Know the tower! Know the company! Good to have money!

I heard of a tower going up right there in your county seat,
    the guy said it would be a 350 foot self supporter, but I don't
    know if that panned out. I bet you could get a free spot there.

If you were in Lawencburg, Waynesboro, Michie, all along the southern
    part of TN, and the eastern part, I know a guy who would probably go no charge, as long as your county mowed once and a while.....
    It was a 300 footer put up by 911. Going to start hanging stuff on it soon. I asked if we could buy the old att tower instead of leasing but got that "look" from the 911 Board Chair.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think the company that owns it would sell - it has another customer on it. It has been a long time since I was there though. Seems to me it was one of those three letter federal agencies.

A local WISP was telling me they were going to put a tower up. That is the
    one I was thinking of.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    NC State Patrol has been grabbing all the IC money for last several years building out the towers for 800mhz so you probabaly need to check your Homeland Security directors office with what is occuring now that this latest roundf of awards has been announced.
    Thanks for the info, I'll have to check into it. From what I understand ALL pub safety agencies are supposed to be moving to NCSHP's system so it seems reasonable. Onslow County is quickly doing away with VHF which will be a sad day as last year we replaced all of our mobiles, added a dozen portables and replaced our repeater for our private net thanks to the AFG.

Thread Information