Forum Member

Default Jr. Firefighters

I have a question how much would it cost for a typical junior firefighter to get an average turn out gear or what all should the junior have when getting stuff or would the junior just not need anything else or what?
    Jory Lanken Kamrar, Iowa
    Jr. Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by jorylanken2009 View Post
    I have a question how much would it cost for a typical junior firefighter to get an average turn out gear or what all should the junior have when getting stuff or would the junior just not need anything else or what?
    You shouldn't have to buy anything, what you need should be supplied by the department. If they don't give it to you-you don't need it as a Jr.

Forum Member

Ya, My department gives you the equipment, you are responsible for them. If they are damaged, then, and only then do you have to pay.
    Service Through Courage

NEVER FORGET 9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jacklrd View Post
    You shouldn't have to buy anything, what you need should be supplied by the department. If they don't give it to you-you don't need it as a Jr.
    I agree 100%.

T.J.

Forum Member

I agree to an extent. I don't see whats wrong with starting to gather all the items you plan on carrying when you do get certified.

When I wasn't certified I carried:
    approximatly 20 feet of webbing
    multi-head screw driver
    vices grips
    allen wrenches
    a window punch
    a pair of extrication gloves
    safety glasses
    wire cutters
    2 nomex hoods
    fire gloves
    plenty of wedges

I still carry all of that plus a survivor 90 degree flash light on my coat, and a vulcan on my side.

Some people carry bottles of water in there turnouts, I never understood this. At any large scale incidents where that might be necassary there will usually be some sort of water cooler on the scene. Either from a cooler on one of the rigs or from a support or rehab unit.

Whatever your going to put in your gear make sure that it has a purpose and is not just something to carry.
    Last edited by LADDER2EKU; 10-05-2007 at 02:56 PM.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LADDER2EKU View Post
    I agree to an extent. I don't see whats wrong with starting to gather all the items you plan on carrying when you do get certified.

multi-head screw driver
    vices grips
    allen wrenches
    a window punch
    safety glasses
    wire cutters
    2 nomex hoods
    fire gloves plenty of wedges

I still carry all of that plus a survivor 90 degree flash light on my coat, and a vulcan on my side.

Some people carry bottles of water in there turnouts, I never understood this. At any large scale incidents where that might be necassary there will usually be some sort of water cooler on the scene. Either from a cooler on one of the rigs or from a support or rehab unit.

Whatever your going to put in your gear make sure that it has a purpose and is not just something to carry.
    so do you think that is what a junior should have or is there more?
    Jory Lanken Kamrar, Iowa
    Jr. Firefighter

If I had my own gear I would have:

Webbing
    Pliers/vice grips
    4-in-1 screw driver
    Chocks
    Safety glasses
    Mechanics gloves (packing hose/extrication)

and maybe some more

Forum Member

Thats what worked for me. I know quite a few people that carry more, and an even greater number that carry less.

Again, whatever you put in your pockets, make sure there is a reason that it is there.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

multi-head screw driver
    vices grips
    allen wrenches
    a window punch
    safety glasses
    wire cutters
    2 nomex hoods
    fire gloves
    plenty of wedges

I carry the same stuff. But add a pair of dykes and a slotted and a phillips screwdriver. (Had a reversable tipped one, tip got lost easily and was a pain to switch around)
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

As a Junior no you do not need half of that. Most Juniors would not get close enough to be able to use half of it. Maybe when your not a Junior some day if you want to fill your pockets up until you cannot walk have at er. No need for it now. The most you need now is a pen, pad of paper and a pair of gloves.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 10-05-2007 at 03:37 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    As a Junior no you do not need half of that. Most Juniors would not get close enough to be able to use half of it. Maybe when your not a Junior some day if you want to fill your pockets up until you cannot walk have at er. No need for it now. The most you need now is a pen, pad of paper and a pair of gloves.
    I would agree with this 100 percent.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    As wierd as this sounds.... I agree with you. I have run acrossmaybe one other explorer besides myselfwho actually would use this crap in their pockets. I have refined my pocket gear and have taken things out that I have never used. But, then again, I have some crazy luck for happening upon accidents. My family travels alot to visit family and quite often we come upon wrecks and even on my way home from practice I stop at some. That and during drills,scenarios, etc, I use the gear in my pockets quite often.

**** P.S.- I also carry a seat belt cutter in my gear (letter openers that banks and such give out, the little plastic ones with the safety razor blade)
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Be sure to have good eye protection and an extra pair of gloves. The rest you can figure out as time goes by and you gain experience. Everyone who responded has good ideas but it may not apply to your situation. I carry the eye protection and spare gloves, as well as extrication gloves, and a ziploc containiing a notepad, pen, and latex gloves. During cold weather, I may also carry a small mirror used to look up chimneys.

Forum Member

Forgot about those....

I also carry safety glasses.

Forum Member

you really do not need to purchase any turnout gear. they issue you all you'll ever need while working with the dept. as an explorer/jr. FF. if you want to purchase anything such as turnout gear your looking at a good 1100 bucks there pal. if you want a helmet then your looking at a good 600 bucks for a leather or 150-200 bucks for a traditional. i recently got a cairns 1044 for 159 bucks on thefirestore.com. but i only got that because i wanted it, not because i needed it. our dept. issues perfectly fine cairns 660c metro to our explorers and hand-me-down turnouts from generous surrounding towns and cities. we get gloves and a hood which are in decent shape. all we need to get is our class A uniforms which consists of a light blue button up dress shirt and dark blue Dickies pants which all together costs around 40-45 bucks.

my advice is don't buy anything that you're not gonna need. check with whoever runs the program to see if you need anything else (chances are they'll say no). save up and buy yourself a nice leather.
    Last edited by Explorer343; 10-06-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Forum Member

multi-head screw driver
    vices grips
    allen wrenches
    a window punch
    safety glasses
    wire cutters
    2 nomex hoods
    fire gloves
    plenty of wedges

EQUIPMENT OVERLOAD EQUIPMENT OVERLOAD EQUIPMENT OVERLOAD EQUIPMENT OVERLOAD EQUIPMENT OVERLOAD EQUIPMENT OVERLOAD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343 View Post
    EQUIPMENT OVERLOAD EQUIPMENT OVERLOAD EQUIPMENT OVERLOAD EQUIPMENT OVERLOAD EQUIPMENT OVERLOAD EQUIPMENT OVERLOAD

OK, so your saying I carry to much? I have used every single thing I carry in my pockets at the very least once.

Lets see:
    WEBBING has countless uses, I used it to secure a door,
    SCREW DRIVER again has countless uses
    VICE GRIPS can be used to secure a garage door open, using these instead off a hook lessens the chance of it being knocked out of the way and the door closing
    ALLEN WRENCHES can be used on certain types of fire alarm systems
    WINDOW PUNCH has been used several times on cut jobs
    EXTRICATION GLOVES again been used on several cut jobs
    SAFETY GLASSES cut jobs and pulling cieling
    WIRE CUTTERS, I believe every fireman should have a pair, have used them to secure batteries on cars, wires hanging down during overhaul, and will be used in the event I ever become entagled at a fire.
    NOMEX HOODS obvious it's use, and I carry an extra incase mine is damaged or a buddy has lost his
    FIRE GLOVES obvious what they are for
    DOOR WEDGES used to secure doors, I carry 2 hinge locks on my helmet and 3 wooden wedges in my coat pocket
    And lights well -- Two is one and one is none --

Like I said before everything I carry has a purpose.
    Last edited by LADDER2EKU; 10-06-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: useless flame that wasn't necassary
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

OK, so your saying I carry to much? I have used every single thing I carry in my pockets at the very least once.

Lets see:
    WEBBING has countless uses, I used it to secure a door,
    SCREW DRIVER again has countless uses
    VICE GRIPS can be used to secure a garage door open, using these instead off a hook lessens the chance of it being knocked out of the way and the door closing
    ALLEN WRENCHES can be used on certain types of fire alarm systems
    WINDOW PUNCH has been used several times on cut jobs
    EXTRICATION GLOVES again been used on several cut jobs
    SAFETY GLASSES cut jobs and pulling cieling
    WIRE CUTTERS, I believe every fireman should have a pair, have used them to secure batteries on cars, wires hanging down during overhaul, and will be used in the event I ever become entagled at a fire.
    NOMEX HOODS obvious it's use, and I carry an extra incase mine is damaged or a buddy has lost his
    FIRE GLOVES obvious what they are for
    DOOR WEDGES used to secure doors, I carry 2 hinge locks on my helmet and 3 wooden wedges in my coat pocket
    And lights well -- Two is one and one is none --

Like I said before everything I carry has a purpose.
    But as an Explorer/Jr. FF, half the things you mentioned we won't need because most of the scenerios you mentioned we are not allowed to enter! As an Explorer/Jr. FF, you are given all we would need and anything you have to purchase, I am sure, the post director would have informed you what and where to get it.

Forum Member

multi-head screw driver
    vices grips
    allen wrenches
    a window punch
    safety glasses
    wire cutters
    2 nomex hoods
    fire gloves
    plenty of wedges
    Anybody else catch that?

PS--you forgot the partridge in a pear tree.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    Anybody else catch that?

I saw it, but decided to let it go.

good 600 bucks for a leather or 150-200 bucks for a traditional.
    I thought a traditional was a leather??

Forum Member

Anybody else catch that?

As I explained in an earlier post, I carry 2 becuase in case mine is damaged, lost, "borrowed" and I don't know it tell I reach for it as were heading for the box alarm I have my back-up right there. I also had to give my back up to a buddy who's nomex was "borrowed" with out him knowing. You can disagree all you want but what I carry works for me and that is what is most important.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

Dude--calm down. If you'd been around longer than a month, you'd remember the "double hoods" threads that went around some time ago...

But here's another "argument" about that:
    Why are people "borrowing" essential PPE like hoods? I'm sorry, but you mess with my PPE, you'll be "borrowing" another part of it--my bunker boot, which will be lodged firmly between your azz cheeks and require Hurst tools or surgical intervention to remove.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

I also keep two.....one is in my inner coat pocket and I keep one hanging over the edge of my right boot. Its the first thing that goes on. If I get to the station and my boot one is missing for some reason(borrowed unexpectedly) I still have a hood to use. It never hurts to be prepared
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Dude--calm down. If you'd been around longer than a month, you'd remember the "double hoods" threads that went around some time ago...

But here's another "argument" about that:
    Why are people "borrowing" essential PPE like hoods? I'm sorry, but you mess with my PPE, you'll be "borrowing" another part of it--my bunker boot, which will be lodged firmly between your azz cheeks and require Hurst tools or surgical intervention to remove.
    Actually I hace been around for more than a month, I have been a faithful reader for at least the last 2 years. I just recently got a screen name because people were failing to realize that things are done differently in differant parts of the U.S.(See the METH HOUSE thread).
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

I saw it, but decided to let it go.

I thought a traditional was a leather??
    Not necessarily. A leather is a traditional style helmet but so is a Cairns 1010, 1044, 1000, and 800 as well as Paul Conway/Lion, Bullard, and Morning Pride models. Traditional can be made out of leather or composite.

Thread Information