Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Class A Uniform

Forum Member

Default Class A Uniform

I've got an interview coming up and am thinking about wearing my Class A's from my current dept. I am proud of where I'm coming from but I just don't want to buy a suit for one day and never wear it again. What do you think is it too much? I'm looking for advice from people on hiring boards.

Ok, I'm not on a FD hiring board, so take what I say as you want.

If you can't take the time and effort to show up to the interview in proper attire, that shows me you most likely won't put the time and effort in later either.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I'm no expert either...but I say get the suit. I don't wear a suit to work at my current job...but I do get use out of having one (weddings, funerals, etc.).

Forum Member

You can get a suit for very little if you look around. Invest in your future. If you show up in your class A, they will think that is where you want to stay.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Don't take this the wrong way, but obviously you don't want their job bad enough. Seriously, are you testing on a whim or do you want their job? Because IMO all you're saying to them is, "Look at me! I've already got a job and your position is not important enough for me to show up in proper business attire."

Are you testing anywhere else? A suit will be needed if you are going to any other interviews. Remember, they don't necessarily care where you are coming from. They want to know; will you be humble enough to blend in and not be that guy to always be saying, "Well back at Useta Department..." I think wearing your current Class A's says to them you're gonna be that guy.

I say get the suit. Let us know.

Hang tough,
    bam
    Last edited by ffbam24; 10-04-2007 at 04:22 PM.

Forum Member

get a suit, every man should own one, youre going to wear it more than once.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Don't take this the wrong way, but obviously you don't want their job bad enough. Seriously, are you testing on a whim or do you want their job? Because IMO all you're saying to them is, "Look at me! I've already got a job and your position is not important enough for me to show up in proper business attire."

Are you testing anywhere else? A suit will be needed if you are going to any other interviews. Remember, they don't necessarily care where you are coming from. They want to know; will you be humble enough to blend in and not be that guy to always be saying, "Well back at Useta Department..." I think wearing your current Class A's says to them you're gonna be that guy.

I say get the suit. Let us know.

Hang tough,
    bam
    Thats a good point. Nobody likes that guy.

Forum Member

Marshalls has great name brand suits for very cheap in price.. check them out

Forum Member

You want your oral board to run smoothly without any surprises. Since what you wear is the strongest non-verbal statement you can make when you walk into the room a uniform, any uniform, might not get you off on the right footing. Are you willing to take that chance?

For some reason candidates have been convinced by themselves or others that this will some how separate them from the other candidates. It can but not in a way you were looking for. It often hits the panel that you are asking for more points.

Understand you are applying for a snot nose rookie position. You have no time or rank with the department you are testing for. So donít wear your military, volunteer, other department, dogcatcher or other uniform to your interview.

Here's a recent one.

A candidate from out of state called from southern California the night before his oral board. He asked if it was all right if he wore his military uniform to his oral? I asked him if he had brought anything else to wear. He said no. He said his dad and other members of his family that are in law enforcement told him it would make him stand out. I told him to go ahead and wear his uniform and we would talk later.

Did he get called back? Not yet.

Men: Do wear a wool suit in dark blue or gray. Pinstripes are fine, but avoid brown, black, or high fashion brightly colored suits. Sport coats or blazers are out, so is polyester. Tie should be in a solid color such as navy, red, maroon, yellow stripe, or paisley print. Wear a white, off white, or pale blue long sleeved shirt in cotton or a cotton blend. Starch it no matter what the instructions say. No patterned shirts!

Donít: Wear casual or novelty watches, too much jewelry, monograms, religious, political, or fraternity affiliation accessories. Beards are out; mustaches are a gray area. When in doubt, shave it off. Donít wear cell phones, pagers or any other electronic leases.

I hear from candidates that they can afford a suit. Then rent a suit.

More on attire here: http://eatstress.com/attire.htm
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default Coloring outside the lines

Question: How do you feel about a red shirt for the oral? I have heard that a power color is good way to go.

Reply: Power colors are for the corporate world not fire. The fire department is a semi-military organization. You're applying for a snott nose rookie position. Leave the power stuff in the closet. Wear a white, off white, or pale blue long sleeved shirt in cotton or a cotton blend. Starch it no matter what the instructions say. No patterned shirts!
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Default Easy to answer

GET A SUIT!! Plain and simple.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Thanks guys for the guidance back to my senses. Its alittle hard coming up off that cash but I'm going out today to get one.

MembersZone Subscriber

Heck, you can get one from Wally mart for under a hundred. Good Luck!
    27 years and still having a great time in the back of the truck :-)

Just in case you didn't hear it enough... buy a suit. Or borrow one for that matter. Who cares if you never need it again. I bought a new suit for each interview (three times with one department, twice for the list and initial class and once for the second class) and have only worn one of them again for an interview for the department I accepted a job with. Other than that, they are sitting in my closet collecting dust and I couldn't be happier!

PS - Wearing a uniform from another department to a uniform seems disrespectful, they know you're from another department. It's on your resume right? I also find it weird that people insist on wearing their t-shirts during the testing, but that's just me.
    Last edited by Higby916; 10-06-2007 at 11:07 AM.
    Vita brevis; terra larga.

Forum Member

Are you going to the interview on official business from your current Department? Probably not. When wearing your Class A (or any) uniform, you are a representative of that department. I hardly think your current dept would think it is appropriate for you to be wearing THEIR uniform to get hired somewhere else. It shows a lack of respect for your current department, and the interviewing department will surely notice it.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    Question: How do you feel about a red shirt for the oral? I have heard that a power color is good way to go.

Reply: Power colors are for the corporate world not fire. The fire department is a semi-military organization. You're applying for a snott nose rookie position. Leave the power stuff in the closet. Wear a white, off white, or pale blue long sleeved shirt in cotton or a cotton blend. Starch it no matter what the instructions say. No patterned shirts!
    I would also caution someone against wearing white or light blue, as these are the dress, acting Chief or Chief colours in many departments. I was told, no white and no light blue simply out of respect. Subconcious thoughts can go a long way, for or against.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Higby916 View Post
    I would also caution someone against wearing white or light blue, as these are the dress, acting Chief or Chief colours in many departments. I was told, no white and no light blue simply out of respect. Subconcious thoughts can go a long way, for or against.
    You wrote "colours". Are you from Canada?

That's a new one on me???? I've been assisting candidates for more than 35 years and have never, ever heard this one. I believe it's another one of those everyone is an expert or "they said". I've been looking for "they" for 35 years and haven't found "they" yet.

Captain Bob

MembersZone Subscriber

As has been previously stated: do NOT wear your departmentís class A uniform. If you were so proud of your current department why would you want to leave?

IF, and thatís a big IF, you cannot afford to purchase a suit tell the panel when you walk in the door.

A candidate who DOES NOT wear a suit and tie certainly sticks out from the crowd. While itís not required, it is now expected.

A candidateís attire is not part of the grading criteria. As an evaluator, you certainly notice it when someone dresses differently.

I would certainly score a candidate higher who took a quality interview in his best pair of Dockers than I would a snake oil salesman in an expensive suit.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    You wrote "colours". Are you from Canada?

That's a new one on me???? I've been assisting candidates for more than 35 years and have never, ever heard this one. I believe it's another one of those everyone is an expert or "they said". I've been looking for "they" for 35 years and haven't found "they" yet.

Captain Bob
    Yup, from Canada. And I would think when someone on the department you are interviewing for advises you not to wear the colours the Chiefs sitting across from you are wearing as a sign of respect for their uniform and rank, then I would rather listen than show up in a white shirt. I'm sure it's not a big deal, but the way jokes go, "oh look, a white shirt already!" lol

Forum Member

I think this is being discussed a little more than is necessary. It's rather simple. Dress conservative. That means a dark blue or black suit, with a non-descript shirt and tie. Simple.

Thread Information