Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Mcguire AFB Fire Department

Just applied to Mcguire as a firefighter and was wondering if anyone knows what type of schedule they are on?

Forum Member

Default Federal or DOD Firefighter Schedule

Most likely a 72 Hr. work week

Yes..you are correct, the announcement states 72 work week w/24hr shifts. So how would that work..24 on 48 off, etc?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rempo320 View Post
    Yes..you are correct, the announcement states 72 work week w/24hr shifts. So how would that work..24 on 48 off, etc?
    Well the most common one out there for air force that I know of is work every other day with a set day off every two weeks. Example: your day off is Wednesday. So you would work Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Monday, have T,W,Th off, work Friday, repeat. Also you might get 5 days off every 3 months.

Wow..24 hours off seems too little. I thought 24 on and 48 was more common. Any here work for the AF at Mcguire?

Most DOD Installations work 24 on, 24 off with a variety of shift set-ups. I have worked these three schedules:

1. A/B Platoon system, with individual group days off, work 5 shifts, get 3 days off and a 5-day break every 6 weeks. example: work M-W-F-S-M then off T-W-T. (after 6 weeks of that rotation, you get a 5-day break.) This was the best schedule!

2. A/B Platoon system, straight 3 days off, and every 6 weeks you work something like 18 shifts with NO BREAK AT ALL. This was the WORST!

3. The Seven-Group chart schedule....work four shifts, get a 2-day break, and every 6 weeks you get a "Long Weekend" which is Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon OFF. This is a set schedule, your long weekends are always F-S-S-M. This chart had an advantage in that you were always working with different people, there was never any A-B platoon hostilities (Leave it for the other shift! The B platoon ate our leftovers from dinner! Those A Platoon *******s!) But I also missed the 3-day breaks. If you caught a job the night of your last shift before break, or had a late watch, you spent the first half of your first of 2 days off in bed......Just when you thought you were decompressed, you had to go back in the next morning. 3 day breaks were the best, and the 5 days were the cats ***!

No matter how you do it though, 24 on, 24 off SUCKS! I did it for 10 years, NO MORE! I am now home nights, weekends, and holidays!

Oh yeah that reminds me of something- another disadvantage of the seven group chart is that depending on what work group you were assigned to, you could get anally raped with working holidays- 3 years in a row, I had to work both thanksgiving AND x-mas day!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thanks for the info. Another question..I don't have experience as a firefighter. I applied for the GS-3 position which requires no experience. What are my chances of getting a position. I have 7 1/2 years with the government..6 1/2 of which in federal law enforcement. Any advice?

No offense to you, but I would have to say your chances of getting hired at Mcguire with no experience is slim to none. They are a major league SAC/MAC facility with lots of stuff going on, especially with a war in progress, and Ft Dix right next door. Additionally, they are a highly-sought after facility for already established DoD Firefighters who have the training and experience. In other words, Mcguire doesn't want someone who needs to have their hand held when they could pick somone up who already has qualifications (especially airfield) that they can just put in a slot. Also, They will probably get a lot of guys from JRB Willow Grove, a base just outside of Philadelphia that is getting BRAC'd.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Whats the minimum age to join as a firefighter there?
    Service Through Courage

NEVER FORGET 9/11/01

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MustanGT1964 View Post
    Whats the minimum age to join as a firefighter there?
    37 YO is the age cutoff

Quote Originally Posted by Engine63FF View Post
    37 YO is the age cutoff
    Thats weird being that you go to the academy at 18. Thanks.
    Service Through Courage

NEVER FORGET 9/11/01

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MustanGT1964 View Post
    Thats weird being that you go to the academy at 18. Thanks.

sorry 37 is the Max age cut off to be hired..

my bad

Forum Member

How many stations does McGuire have on their base? Just curious?

There are two stations on McGuire AFB. Station One houses A rescue, two engines, a hazmat trailer and three crash trucks, two p-23's and a p-19. Station two only runs one crash truck, a p-19. But houses a p-23 for back up. As for the work schedule, it is a seven group rotation as explained earlier.

Thread Information