Thread: The Federal

Forum Member

Default The Federal

It is my opinion that whenever a fire truck rolls out with its lights on that it should also use its federal siren. You cant hear that little electrical siren until it is right behind you but you can hear that federal even before you can see the truck. I feel its best for the safety of both the engine crew and other drivers. My old volly house used to tell me that you dont want to **** off the local community. I say I dont want to kill the local community because they couldnt hear the truck coming.

Fire trucks are not ambulances and shouldnt sound like them ever.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePants8 View Post
    It is my opinion that whenever a fire truck rolls out with its lights on that it should also use its federal siren. You cant hear that little electrical siren until it is right behind you but you can hear that federal even before you can see the truck. I feel its best for the safety of both the engine crew and other drivers. My old volly house used to tell me that you dont want to **** off the local community. I say I dont want to kill the local community because they couldnt hear the truck coming.

Fire trucks are not ambulances and shouldnt sound like them ever.
    you are right on the money. The federal is a very useful tool on the fire apparatus. It is irresponsible and unprofessional for it not to be used continuosly irregardless of john q's public desire for a decrease in noise pollution. what dept do you work for? Does your LT use the siren alot? how long have you been on the job? Im wondering how many people have to die before they realize the importance of the federal.

Forum Member

I work in stratford. Been clear of the academy since mid May this year. My LT and other LT's on the job use it regularly anytime we go lights and sirens. I just find it weird and stupid that people dont use the loudest thing on the truck.

Forum Member

When I hear the Q go off it just makes me shiver. You guys are totally right about what you are saying. I can tell both of you are career guys by your knowledge of the job.

I applied for stratford but I failed the written test. I thought that test was very hard. Alot of hard questions were on it. Do you think they will be testing again? I hope they do soon. I would love to work with a dept that thinks the same way I do when it comes to the all mighty Federal Q.

Do you think there is a difference between the electric federal towards the mechanical siren?

why are you so concerned about showing off on the way to a call when you should be concerned about life safety and property? What is this federal Q anyways and why does it have to be so loud?

Permanently Removed

the ambulances where i work have federal q's just like the engines and trucks. why shouldnt an ambulance sound like a fire truck. ambulances go to a lot more true emergencies than fire trucks, especially fire trucks of volunteer depts. i spend more time hitting on nurses each year than you do running like a bat outta hell to save a basement. personally i think that volunteers shouldnt have lights and siren on personal vehicles.

The almighty "Q" huh... Wow... What a fantastic siren... I mean when you wanna move some traffic, nothing better than rippin' that Federal to let the whole entire city and the neighboring one, know that you are on your way to check out that activated alarm at 3am!!!! Just my opinion...

Forum Member

If it's too loud your too old.........

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFmedicGUMP View Post
    the ambulances where i work have federal q's just like the engines and trucks. why shouldnt an ambulance sound like a fire truck. ambulances go to a lot more true emergencies than fire trucks, especially fire trucks of volunteer depts. i spend more time hitting on nurses each year than you do running like a bat outta hell to save a basement. personally i think that volunteers shouldnt have lights and siren on personal vehicles.
    I agree that ambulances should have something louder. Its happened to us all im sure where an ambulance sneaks up behind you lights and sirens and you dont hear it because of eith talking or engine noise or music or whatever. Where I volunteered you could only have blue lights and you couldnt drive your vehicle to the scene which helped out alot. But again the federal carries thru the streets and it lets people know to get out of the way ahead of time therefore saving time and keeping people safer.

I dont know when stratford will be testing again as I am just a probie and know nothing.

MembersZone Subscriber

There's these things called dept. SOP's and if you feel that strongly about using that siren all the time, you should recommend writing one regarding the use of the Q.

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePants8 View Post
    I dont know when stratford will be testing again as I am just a probie and know nothing.
    How can you say that? Probies know more coming out of the academy then most guys on the job with 20 years. And also you being a vollie you have even more of a upper hand. Do you think the same? We have been seeing eye to eye lately dont you agree? Are you from Fairfield county seeing that you work in Stratford? Maybe we live in the same area. Talk to you soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

This must be a very important subject to bring out 2 people for their 1st post and another 2 with their 2nd

I realize ya got to start somewhere but..?
    If I'm not here I'm on http://ctfire-ems.com/indexc.php

Forum Member

Default the federal

I"m all for it, I agree that you have to get the attention of the people
    on there phones and music. Even if it's 3am on a limited basis why not let the public know your working.

Forum Member

Its called STEMWHACKING

Quote Originally Posted by firecrasher View Post
    why are you so concerned about showing off on the way to a call when you should be concerned about life safety and property? What is this federal Q anyways and why does it have to be so loud?
    Agreed. The last time I checked. The only things I needed to worry about as a probie were making sure the senior guys had coffee and where we were going for the food list.

Come on osfd100, did you not think guys around the fire house wouldn't see this and sign up just to bust probie's stones?

Forum Member

purplepants8, just because your a probie doesn't mean you know nothing. The training you received in the fire academy has prepared you for everthing. wouldn't you agree? You probably know more than a guy with 20 years on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
    Its called STEMWHACKING
    EXACTLY!!!!

Forum Member

Default all hail

Me love loud music.

Forum Member

Cool

technoviking your sister is hot

Forum Member

Red face ................oops

oh purple pants.................carefull.................... .you may be opening a can of worms you just might wanna leave alone. Give me a call if you wanna know what I'm talking about.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
    Its called STEMWHACKING
    This is a definately a whacker thread.

I also smell a few 2 and 20 guys in here! Start throwing your books at the fire and let me know when it goes out.

Forum Member

Let me clarify the first statement. I'm not calling you a whacker, Purple. I'm just referring to the thread.

Thumbs down you kill joy

Quote Originally Posted by CTBigStick1 View Post
    Agreed. The last time I checked. The only things I needed to worry about as a probie were making sure the senior guys had coffee and where we were going for the food list.

Come on osfd100, did you not think guys around the fire house wouldn't see this and sign up just to bust probie's stones?
    I was enjoying the soap opera till you opened your hole. You are boring!!!!! You must not have a life.

Yes for TECHNOVIKING. He should be our next president....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firecrasher View Post

Get a Job.

Thread Information