MembersZone Subscriber

Default User issue

........ Made correction .......

Go here instead

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=94759
    Last edited by RoughRider; 10-05-2007 at 12:38 PM.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    The Senate passed the annual defense authorization bill by a vote of 92-3 this week. Did you hear that? The Senate passed the defense authorization bill for the new fiscal year, 92-3!

Since 2006 the Dems have controlled both the Senate and the House they have introduced +/- 56 resolutions to end the war in Iraq. Not one came close to being passed. So my question is what groundswell of public opinion are they referring to??? What mandate have the American people given to the Democrats for "change”? The Dems keep insisting that we the people elected them to end this war and yet when its time to vote for change they vote to play politics. We hear from brothers here who often make claims of a huge majority of Americans want to end this war. I happen to want to see this war end as well. But I would like to see it end in victory for the United States. If their truly was a groundswell of opposition to ending this war I believe the very first resolution to do so would have passed.

So my question is:

Do you support the "war on terror"?
    Because of procedure, the GOP minority in the Senate is able to block legislation to end the war and pass resolutions since 60 votes are required. The Dems have a majority but do not have the 60 votes needed. To their credit, a couple of GOP senators have broken party lines and voted with the dems. Sen. Hagel (R-NE) being one of them.

As far as the defense authorization bill. If the bill were voted down the dems realize it is the troops that would be adversely affected. That is bad for everyone.

As far as a groundswell. Senators are not elected according to the general population like the House. They are elected on a state basis. So if a bare majority support in a state with a small population elect a GOP senator, it isn't the same as a district electing a representative to congress.
    Last edited by scfire86; 10-05-2007 at 11:49 AM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default My apologies

I meant to set this up as a poll. I got distracted and screwed it up.

IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Because of procedure, the GOP minority in the Senate is able to block legislation to end the war and pass resolutions since 60 votes are required. The Dems have a majority but do not have the 60 votes needed. To their credit, a couple of GOP senators have broken party lines and voted with the dems. Sen. Hagel (R-NE) being one of them.

As far as the defense authorization bill. If the bill were voted down the dems realize it is the troops that would be adversely affected. That is bad for everyone.

As far as a groundswell. Senators are not elected according to the general population like the House. They are elected on a state basis. So if a bare majority support in a state with a small population elect a GOP senator, it isn't the same as a district electing a representative to congress.
    SC - Please post on the new thread.

Go here instead.

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=94759
    Last edited by RoughRider; 10-05-2007 at 12:39 PM.

IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information