Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ride Alongs with Columbus, Fire

I have done one ride along with Columbus Fire on Wensday. It was a lot of fun, but at time's I felt kind of lost and didnt know what to do, i.e. standing around. I was wondering if anyone can give alittle advice or input on what to do and how to act when doing a ride along. I understand I am a guest in their house and I don't want to step on toes. I mainly kept quiet. I am a firefighter and a student at OSU. I just want alittle incite from guys who have done ride alongs or from guys at columbus. I am looking at moving around the city to different stations to get a feel for different companies. What advice can you give me?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marco09 View Post
    I have done one ride along with Columbus Fire on Wensday. It was a lot of fun, but at time's I felt kind of lost and didnt know what to do, i.e. standing around. I was wondering if anyone can give alittle advice or input on what to do and how to act when doing a ride along. I understand I am a guest in their house and I don't want to step on toes. I mainly kept quiet. I am a firefighter and a student at OSU. I just want alittle incite from guys who have done ride alongs or from guys at columbus. I am looking at moving around the city to different stations to get a feel for different companies. What advice can you give me?
    Marco, I've done a couple of ride alongs on Engine 28 in St.Louis. The first time was a litle awkward at first, but I asked questions and just paid attention. The second time was alot more fun. I went to the same staion w/same shift. I was treated as one of them. They knew what I knew and trusted me. They let me do CPR, package patients, and do salvage/overhaul with them. I am asst. Chief of a small VFD and training officer on a small paid department in southern IN. and one of the FF from E-28 brought his cadets(32 of them) to southern IN to ride with us and a couple other local departments in the area. They got to see what it is like to fight a house fire with 6 FF and not the typical 30 St. Louis would bring. Keep up the interest, ask Questions, and don't say "This is how we do it". FF's hate that.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the info. It helps alot. Any other tips that you can think of!?

Forum Member

Default ride alongs

i just know from when i have had ride alongs at my house, no matter what rank you are, you WILL be treated worse than a probie, and do what they ask, and dont act like a know it all

Thread Information