Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Thinking about becoming a AF firefighter, have a few questions

Recently I've been thinking of possibly joining the AF to become a firefighter. I'm currently going through an Academy at my local college and am also EMT-B certified along with many other various certs such as Hazmat Fro and others. I will have 28.5 college credits as soon as my academy is over, all from fire classes.

So my question is, will any of this help me more in getting a firefighter position in the AF?

Will my credits transfer to the AF and if so what is the highest degree I can possibly get, does it stop at AA or can I go on to a BS?

Also I heard many military fire certs don't transfer especially the FF1 in CA, will my completion of a fire academy cert in CA turn into a FF1 after 6 months of being a AF FF? Is the AF able to sign off on it?

Any other info that you can support would be of much thanks. Thank you.

Forum Member

Default help out?

Okay I am not an expert by far but I am in the USAF and in the FD so I will give it a go.

Question 1, will your school help you get a FD position?
    No, plain and simple you need to tell the recruiter that you want a guaranteed job with Fire Protection 3E731 before you sign your contract. He may try to give you the run around about dates for school and availability but if this is the only job you want then don't come in unless your contract says that. They may try all kinds of stories to get you in early or in a open field but don't bite. Make sure you have it in writing first!

Question 2, Will my credits transfer to the AF and if so what is the highest degree I can possibly get, does it stop at AA or can I go on to a BS?
    Maybe, some credits transfer and will help you with rank A1C/ E-3 at best, but they will also transfer over toward your CCAF degree. You can still use your credits to go to the college of your liking for any degree you want. I have a degree through Maryland and one from ASU so you can go where you want really.

Question 3, Also I heard many military fire certs don't transfer especially the FF1 in CA, will my completion of a fire academy cert in CA turn into a FF1 after 6 months of being a AF FF? Is the AF able to sign off on it?
    Okay this is ever changing, but it is a subject I have looked into. Your academy time will not count in the USAF. Sorry but you will still have you cert in CA, which is where I am from. Okay, now for the USAF as soon as you finish our academy you will be FF1,FF2,ARFF,Haz Awareness, Haz Ops, and I am not sure what else it has been a few years. Now you will still do some self paced studies when you get to your base for ARFF, Pumper, MWS, and such to further your certs. Now here is the good thing, there is a company called Pro-board I think that will transfer all your cert over (for $$ of course) and your certs will be good in CA along with about 30 other states. So good news bad news.

I hope this helps and if not or if you have anymore questions let me know.

Good luck.

P.S. make sure you are in shape, now the USAF academy has a kick *** test to make sure you are good to go.

Default Fun

I recently graduated the firefighting course at Goodfellow AFB. I had the same questions when i went through the course. The only way you can have your certs transfered into the military is if they are IFSTA certified.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LimpJedi View Post
    Will my credits transfer to the AF and if so what is the highest degree I can possibly get, does it stop at AA or can I go on to a BS?
    CCAF (Community College of the Air Force) is an associates degree given in you career specialty. So coming in as a FF, you would be working towards Fire Science. After you complete basic training, you will have you CCAF halfway done. You have to take classes at other colleges or universities and transfer them to you CCAF degree. CCAF isn't actually a college that you can enroll in classes in, all the credits (with the exception of military classes and such) come from other colleges.

The Air Force just launched a new program called ABC (Associates to Bachelors). The AF has worked out with, I believe it's up to 30 colleges or so now, so that all 62 credit hours from your CCAF will directly transfer to a BS degree from a participating college in your same field. So say I just got awarded my CCAF degree in Fire Science. Yipee. Now I want to get a BS in Fire Science.. I enroll in the ABC program with Maryland, and now I only have 60 more credits to go and I got a BS in Fire Science as well... through University of Maryland.

Education is the easiest thing in the world in the Air Force. I love it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Regarding the ABC Program... That's good information too... I will have to look into that.

Check this out:

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,148081,00.html
    All Gave Some. Some Gave All.
    FDNY - 343 - 9/11/2001

God Bless the Charleston 9. Godspeed Brothers.

Thread Information