Thread: Finally here!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Finally here!!

I finally got my new Pro-tech 8 gloves in the mail. Can't wait to use them. Been wearing and playing with them. I am seriously surprised the way they feel. And non-bulky. Very good purchase so far.

Has Anyone had issues with heat or direct contact fire with the gloves?
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

MembersZone Subscriber

Got to use the glove in structure fire. I can't say enough how happy I am with these gloves. If your thinking about buying these gloves, stop thinking and do it! By far the best thing I have bought for fire service!
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ffscm72 View Post
    Got to use the glove in structure fire. I can't say enough how happy I am with these gloves. If your thinking about buying these gloves, stop thinking and do it! By far the best thing I have bought for fire service!
    What kind of structure was it and how involved? Did you go interior and if so what were the differences handling the hose line with the new gloves as opposed to the old ones? Thanks in advance for the information.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rpferry View Post
    What kind of structure was it and how involved? Did you go interior and if so what were the differences handling the hose line with the new gloves as opposed to the old ones? Thanks in advance for the information.
    Double wide trailer. Went interior on nozzle. Heat was no factor. No more anyway than i noticed with my old gloves. Handling the nozzle is much easier could feel a lot more compared to old gloves. Doesn't feel bulky like the old gloves. I feel like I can actually get grip on hose using whole hand.

Overhaul as well much easier. Used 36" pike pole with ease and drywall pole as well. It's like wearing rescue ringer gloves for structure fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info. I think I might get a pair now but I still want to do a little more research first. Stay safe bro.
    Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for a friend.

Forum Member

I have them, I like them for the most part so far. However, there are a couple firefighter/ state instructors in my area, who have had people get burned in structural burn classes with these gloves. Essentially, they said it was the softer materials and stuff, that basically failed in the high heat environment.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've had mine a while now, I recently got a second pair. My 2 major complaints were the velcro straps and the leather coverage in some of critical areas. Both of these gripes seem to have been solved with my new short cuff golves. it seems like they have bulked up the thumb and palm leather a bit. My only other gripe is they are TERRIBLE when they are wet! I'll keep my original pair in my pants and just switch them out when that happens. Overall I give them 2 (now better protected) thumbs up!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jerry4184 View Post
    I have them, I like them for the most part so far. However, there are a couple firefighter/ state instructors in my area, who have had people get burned in structural burn classes with these gloves. Essentially, they said it was the softer materials and stuff, that basically failed in the high heat environment.
    This is I believe the second or third time I have heard this. If you get burned with Pro-tech's on your hands you will have had 2nd or 3rd degree burns if you were wearing any other gloves. Fire burns the same temperature everywhere, its not any hotter in the Ghetto of Manhattan where I work or the burn trailer in Anytown USA. I will only wear my pro-tech's in a fire, unless of course someone 'borrow's' them for a tour like always. Every other glove out there has just two layers between your skin and the atmosphere. Those two layers are leather and a moisture barrier of either crosstech or p84. The pro-tech's have an additional SIX layers. The same concept with putting insulation in the walls of your home carries over to our protective clothing, insert a barrier of air between your skin and the outside of the protective garment.

If you think that ANY other glove is going to give you the same protection then thats on you, I wont be the guy with the wrapped hands in the burn center, not if I can prevent it!

Stay Safe and Stay Low!

P.S. The gloves get better and better the longer you own them.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    P.S. The gloves get better and better the longer you own them.
    I have a quick questions for you jonny, I have a pair of the protech's, but I have had problems getting them on when my hands are sweaty, have you or anyone else had that problem? Aside from that I love the gloves the improved dexterity is great and the lighter materials are good too.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

Forum Member

Didnt see the thread. The reason they are hard to get on when your hand is wet is due to the added dexterity you gain from having a glove that actually fits. Same thing of attempting to don a latex glove when its wet, its like trying to keep a dog in a bathtub.

Forum Member

I love my protechs. Won't go back to anything else now. The only people I have seen that have complained about them are people that haven't tried them on, or have been talking to the gibberish spewed by the competing gloves. You know the competition has got to be worried if they're investing $$$ in negative marketing against the protechs.

Don't listen to what others have to say. Try a pair on, and make up your own mind.

Stay safe.

Forum Member

I didn't say I had a problem with them, I like them just fine. Just saying what I've been told heard. My experiences with them have been great, and they are the best glove I've worn. Though with only a few years in, there haven't been many different gloves.

Thread Information