Forum Member

Question Anyone heard of a CPAT like this?

So I passed my hometown written. They gave me a hiring packet with a copy of what their cpat is like...which I have to take on the 27 of Oct. Anyhoo, it's not like any of the ones I have read about or watched. Here's a copy of it.

THE FOLLOWING 3 EVOLUTIONS ARE NOT TIMED EVENTS

1. When ready and in place, wearing helmet, coat, gloves, and self-contained breathing apparatus with mask, climb the aerial ladder to seventy-five (75) feet at a forty-five (45) degree angle, touch the top rung, and descend to the bottom of ladder.

2. When ready and in place, wearing helmet, coat, gloves, and self-contained breathing apparatus with mask and blacked-out lens, negotiate a simple obstacle course in a dark or smoked filled room.

3. Place a stretcher inside an ambulance, then retrieve the stretcher and place it back on the ground. This is accomplished by using the proper technique as described in verbal instruction and actual demonstration by the instructor. This event is to determine your ability to successfully handle the stretcher and weight.

THE FOLLOWING 5 EVOLUTIONS ARE TIMED EVENTS

1. Pick up a pre-formed high rise hose pack fifty (50) feet long and one and three-fourths (1¾) inches in diameter, advance to the stairs of the training tower, then ascend to top floor and drop the high rise hose pack in the designated area.

2. Continue to the railing where a two and one-half (2½) inch hose pack has been previously connected to a rope. Take rope into hands and pull the attached hose pack hand-over-hand up onto the floor. Hose pack must be placed on the floor in a designated area.

3. Descend stairs; proceed to the sledgehammer and roof simulator. Take the eight (8) pound sledgehammer and strike the cross-tie fifteen (15) times with recognizable force. Each blow must be followed by raising the sledgehammer at least eighteen (18) to twenty (20) inches above the cross-tie before striking it again.

4. Walk through a slalom course to a pre-charged one and three-fourths (1¾) inch fire hose, drag hose approximately seventy-five (75) feet to a designated stopping point; open nozzle and hit the target before setting the hose and nozzle down.

5. Proceed to the dummy, pick it up under the armpits, with your hands in front of the dummy’s chest, and move the dummy approximately fifty (50) feet to the finish line.

THE TIME ALLOTTED FOR COMPLETION OF THE TIMED EVENTS DESCRIBED ABOVE IS THREE MINUTES AND THIRTY SECONDS (3:30)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
    So I passed my hometown written. They gave me a hiring packet with a copy of what their cpat is like...which I have to take on the 27 of Oct. Anyhoo, it's not like any of the ones I have read about or watched. Here's a copy of it.

THE FOLLOWING 3 EVOLUTIONS ARE NOT TIMED EVENTS

1. When ready and in place, wearing helmet, coat, gloves, and self-contained breathing apparatus with mask, climb the aerial ladder to seventy-five (75) feet at a forty-five (45) degree angle, touch the top rung, and descend to the bottom of ladder.

2. When ready and in place, wearing helmet, coat, gloves, and self-contained breathing apparatus with mask and blacked-out lens, negotiate a simple obstacle course in a dark or smoked filled room.

3. Place a stretcher inside an ambulance, then retrieve the stretcher and place it back on the ground. This is accomplished by using the proper technique as described in verbal instruction and actual demonstration by the instructor. This event is to determine your ability to successfully handle the stretcher and weight.

THE FOLLOWING 5 EVOLUTIONS ARE TIMED EVENTS

1. Pick up a pre-formed high rise hose pack fifty (50) feet long and one and three-fourths (1¾) inches in diameter, advance to the stairs of the training tower, then ascend to top floor and drop the high rise hose pack in the designated area.

2. Continue to the railing where a two and one-half (2½) inch hose pack has been previously connected to a rope. Take rope into hands and pull the attached hose pack hand-over-hand up onto the floor. Hose pack must be placed on the floor in a designated area.

3. Descend stairs; proceed to the sledgehammer and roof simulator. Take the eight (8) pound sledgehammer and strike the cross-tie fifteen (15) times with recognizable force. Each blow must be followed by raising the sledgehammer at least eighteen (18) to twenty (20) inches above the cross-tie before striking it again.

4. Walk through a slalom course to a pre-charged one and three-fourths (1¾) inch fire hose, drag hose approximately seventy-five (75) feet to a designated stopping point; open nozzle and hit the target before setting the hose and nozzle down.

5. Proceed to the dummy, pick it up under the armpits, with your hands in front of the dummy’s chest, and move the dummy approximately fifty (50) feet to the finish line.

THE TIME ALLOTTED FOR COMPLETION OF THE TIMED EVENTS DESCRIBED ABOVE IS THREE MINUTES AND THIRTY SECONDS (3:30)
    Yes. I did that EXACT test. After I did the stair test for 10 minutes. The keys are SPEED and CONDITIONING, you need to train for this on stadium stairs with a weight vest. I ran out of time, and I had 4 entire minutes, but the bonehead instructor was not calling out my times. Next time, I will ask if I can wear my stopwatch. I was not winded, and I thought I still had at least 90 seconds. I only had the dummy drag and the hose extension to go.

1. You need to buy time, by getting up those stairs as fast as feasible. Place the hose in the drop zone, and proceed to pulling up the hose, they were adamant that the rope not slip, so this is best practiced at home, so the rope doesnt tangle on you and use some gloves that you are comfortable with. Get the bundle of hose up, place in the drop zone, and back down. If you can master this, you can save at LEAST 30-40 seconds. Now, get your behind back down those stairs with some speed. Next, be sure you are handy with a sledge, as far as timing, and aim. You can save 20-40 seconds by being accurate with that sledge. Then, the ladder extension, in which they were adamant that the ladder not "lock out" I was doing it slower than I should have, so as to not lock it out, as it was the 1st time in my life I had used one of those. I could have shaved an easy 10 seconds. This is when my time was up. I was so mad, I could have spit, but I maintained my composure, and went to the front offices to sign some more paperwork. This failure only added to the fire I have inside me, to pass it next time.

2. Wind sprints are important, as you need quick bursts of speed, especially up and down those stairs. I wasnt dogging it, but I was going a lot less fast than I could have. And training on stairs is BEYOND important. The Stadium Stairs with a 40 pound backpack was the reason I got through the stair test. There was a kid half my age who had to stop after 5 minutes, and was hyperventillating. He didnt make it. Try to run laps with the pack, and use the treadmill IN ADDITION to the outdoor track and the stairs. Your cardiovascular is what will get you through. You need to be running an 8.5 mile, and run about 4 miles a session.

3. IF they Department is kind enough to give you a "walk through" or some practice sessions with the ladder and the ropes, ect, it is to your benefit. Cannot hurt to ask, all they can say is no.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default My answer is late- sorry...

I hope you passed your test, but if you didn't, maybe this will help:

You do need to do step mill or stadium training with a weight vest.
    Here is a plan for just that:
    http://www.fireagility.com/articles.php

Scroll down until you see the article on step mill training. It might ramp up slowly for you. If your time is short, or you are a larger or stronger person, you may be able to ramp up faster. Be careful, watch for spine, trap and muscular back pain.

Remember, this is not all you need to do. Also do major muscle groups training with upper and lower body. Weighted squats, and weighted walking lunges. Decline leg press. Lat pulls, and over the shoulder pulls. Pushups, pull ups and core work. Here are some pics:http://www.fireagility.com/cpat_events.php

I know these exercises are not specific to your test. But they will certainly help you.

Practice sessions right on location is the best way to perfect your technique. If you don't pass this time, at least you will know where your weak points are!

Good luck and don't get injured!

Dr. Jen
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 10-26-2007 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling/typos

Forum Member

This looks like a standard entry level test.
    It's not the CPAT.
    The CPAT is a trademarked test, it's very specific.
    Overall, it looks rather easy.
    Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Well besides the first three events...It reminds me of a shorter version of the Biddle...

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by mitllesmertz1 View Post
    This looks like a standard entry level test.
    It's not the CPAT.
    The CPAT is a trademarked test, it's very specific.
    Overall, it looks rather easy.
    Good Luck!
    Agreed, the this is not a CPAT test. The CPAT is a very specific, timed, and laid out test that is nothing like what's posted here.

The CPAT is the name of a specific test, not just a generic name for a physical agility test.

Thread Information