Thread: Pa/nj Ff/emt

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pa/nj Ff/emt

Hey all -
    I am temporarily living in Northern NJ. Sort of giving it a 'test drive' after being on the road for years. I want to become a FF/EMT, but am afraid I have chosen the wrong state. I know I can't just rub a lamp and have exams happening when and where I want, but I'm wondering if my chances might be better in PA. I know NJ just gave their exam earlier this year, so they won't be testing again for a while. Also, if I get my EMT cert. in NJ, how hard is it to transfer it to PA should I decide to move?? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

AMB,

The NJ Dept of Personel has already announced that the next Civil Service exam will be out Spring of 2008. For the best chances of getting hired in NJ, move to any major city (Jersey City, Newark, Irvington, East Orange, Camden, North Hudson-West New York/Union City/Weehawken/Guttenberg/North Bergen, etc) . Keep in mind that you will need residency in the city you choose from the date the applications are due in all the way throughout the entire hiring process which can take 2-3 years, might also have to live there for another year after getting hired until your probation finishes...

http://www.state.nj.us/personnel/pub...ghter_opps.htm

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks Dan. That's part of what's so frustrating when applying. So many dept.'s require residency or a driver's license upon applying. It seems very limiting. I know I can't be picky, but my parents are getting older and I need to stay in the PA/NJ area. I have changed addresses enough over the past 6 years with my touring gigs. The goal now is to settle down. But if dept's require residency... I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do... Thanks again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you looked into MD. I live outside Philly and work in the Annapolis area. The schedule is 24/72 so I only work two day per week. They will also train you as an EMT and FF. There a many different counties that hire often.

Thread Information