Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Practicle Weight Training

I am just wondering if anyone has any practicle weight training routines that you use that help you with your job?

Show me a Scania vehicle

Default Practically speaking

To be honest, the only "practical" weight training I'd suggest is to stay out of the weight room. Seriously! I haven't been in a weight room or official training facility in over 6 years and I've been real creative in the movements and exercises that I've chosen for myself.

I've never seen a firefighter squat his way into a high rise structure with a hose pack nor have I seen one bench press his way through a search and rescue situation.

Think of your movements and muscle groups used as a firefighter. Cater your workouts to those movements.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

www.crossfit.com

www.dragondoor.com
    click either KETTLEBELLS or POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Crossfit for sure, supplemented with powerlifting (although I'm sure there's enough powerlifting in there already) as well as some sort of static cardio for overall endurance and cardiac/respiratory health.
    Vita brevis; terra larga.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Caution with crossfit

Just a word of caution, I am not against it by any means. I preach that type of workout, just be careful if you are significantly out of shape or are nursing an injury. Crossfir is pretty much an all out workout. Have fun, it is a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by ogomez View Post
    Just a word of caution, I am not against it by any means. I preach that type of workout, just be careful if you are significantly out of shape or are nursing an injury. Crossfir is pretty much an all out workout. Have fun, it is a blast!
    That's a really good point and should also be stressed that it's best to start with an affiliated crossfit centre before doing the workouts on your own. I thought I was doing my squats, deads and overhead presses right, just a few little tweaks to my form and the weight was going up. Doing these exercises incorrectly could have some "incomfortable" results.
    Vita brevis; terra larga.

MembersZone Subscriber

And to further point out that if you are doing Crossfit and the WOD, or if you are looking to start crossfit, everything is scaleable.

Can't do the WOD as listed? Do less weight or less reps - You'll work your way up.

And I'll second the points made earlier about utilizing a crossfit affiliate. Not only are they sepcifically trained in CrossFit, but they have what you need, plus they'll make sure to give you more motivation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cross Fit Stuff is great

But, as mentioned: make it fit your strength and fitness level.

Sorry: Beiner's comment I do not compltely agree with:

If a person is not fit, they need to start somewhere. If they have never lifted weights, they need to get to the gym and learn how. The basics of training in a gym are ver important building blocks for functional strength later. But: no amount of bicep curls or preening in front of a mirror is going to prepare you for the real work.

However, what he says about movements done at work, and functional exercises, I totally agree with. On this board somehere, some guy was saying that he has an old tire tractor with ropes tied to it. He drags it up and down the alley along side of his house. I think that's what Beiner had in mind when he said "stay out of the gym". I agree with that kind of training.

But there has to be a good base before that stuff is safe.

Dr. jen

For more information on training, go here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Try P90X through beachbody.com Best workout I've ever done. I've tried a lot workout programs but nothing like this.

Show me a Scania vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Drjmilus View Post
    Sorry: Beiner's comment I do not compltely agree with:

If a person is not fit, they need to start somewhere. If they have never lifted weights, they need to get to the gym and learn how. The basics of training in a gym are ver important building blocks for functional strength later...
    You make a good point. Even former Mr. Olympia, Ronnie Coleman, credits his chiseled mass to all the years of competitive powerlifting he did in his younger years.

I did spend almost 6 years in the weight room always improving my lifting form which laid a great foundation for my strength which has stayed with me to this day despite all the cardio I have done in recent years.

Forum Member

For everyone recommending crossfit, which workouts would you recommend doing? Did you guys just do the workout for the day?
    Last edited by mpullen32; 12-30-2007 at 07:40 PM.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mpullen32 View Post
    For everyone recommending crossfit, which workouts would you recommend doing? Did you guys just do the workout for the day?
    Yea just the WOD.

Thread Information