Thread: Fact or Fiction

Forum Member

Default Fact or Fiction

Hey guys just heard this and I am wondering if it is true or just made up. Someone told me that in order to become a Fire Chief (now or in the future) that you have to have a bachelors degree in Business. Just wondering if this is true or not.
    Thanks
    ~Tgsfire

Forum Member

This isn't necessarily true across the board. There are still plenty of places that a bachelors isn't a requirement to be a firechief. However, it is starting to become more prevelant. It's enver a bad thing to educate yourself, and get a degree. In ten, fifteen, twenty years, it may well be mandatory to have a Bachelors, maybe even in business management, to be the fire chief.

Forum Member

Thanks Jerry.
    I wasn't sure if it was true. A lot of people tell me that it is a good idea to have a Business degree. The main person I heard all this from is a firefighter in the area where my girlfriend goes to college. He said he went back to school after becoming a FF, and got his Bachelors degree in Business.

Forum Member

Not true...

A piece of paper that states that you have matriculated from an accredited University does not mean you have the common sense to run a fire department.

By the same token, look at some of the idiots who have the piece of paper and couldn't lead a fire department if their entire community were comprised of wet paper bags...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Banned

That will vary by department. While knowledge of business is an excellent asset for the manager of a fire department, there are some thing a bit more important.

FossilMedic

Default Chief Fire Officer: frequently asked questions

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tgsfire View Post
    Hey guys just heard this and I am wondering if it is true or just made up. Someone told me that in order to become a Fire Chief (now or in the future) that you have to have a bachelors degree in Business. Just wondering if this is true or not.
    Thanks
    ~Tgsfire
    I guess a degree in business would be one of the requirements. But there are many more. Fire Science is a big one as well as Public Administration.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Not true...

A piece of paper that states that you have matriculated from an accredited University does not mean you have the common sense to run a fire department.

By the same token, look at some of the idiots who have the piece of paper and couldn't lead a fire department if their entire community were comprised of wet paper bags...
    Look at the Chief in Randolph, MA. Some chiefs are downright lazy and don't do anything despite having that business degree from Yale on their wall (just an example). Degrees are just slips of paper.

Forum Member

In many places, it is a requirement. Before the flame wars start, I know that is not the case everywhere. Look at most of the requests in the back of trade-magazines, or on-line job banks, 9/10 will require a bachelor's degree. Some require the degree in business, public administration, or "other related field"

Our fire department does not require firefighters to have a college education, but if you don't there better be at least four years of military on your app if you want to be competitive in the hiring process.

Forum Member

I'd love to see them tell a lot of Volunteer Chiefs they now require a Bachelors Degree in Buisness. I think they'd get told to kindly flake off.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    I'd love to see them tell a lot of Volunteer Chiefs they now require a Bachelors Degree in Buisness. I think they'd get told to kindly flake off.
    Because, as we all know, volunteer chiefs, just like their firefighters, need not be nearly as qualified as their career counterparts. They need only be popular and buy plenty of beer prior to the elections.

Until the day comes that volunteer departments across the board begin to take the job as seriously as career departments, the whole farcical fiction about, "We all do the same job," is never going to fly.

A legitimate, relevant college degree isn't the only form of legitimate educational credential for a fire chief but it's a damn good start.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343 View Post
    Look at the Chief in Randolph, MA. Some chiefs are downright lazy and don't do anything despite having that business degree from Yale on their wall (just an example). Degrees are just slips of paper.
    The day you actually get on the job is the day you can start throwing stones and making comments.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343 View Post
    Degrees are just slips of paper.
    Have you even graduated High School yet?

I couldn't disagree more with your statement; degrees are a lot more that a slip of paper. I know I spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars for my degrees. They may not be from famous schools, but they have certainly helped prepare me for my current job.

Having a degree, regardless of the school, does not guarantee success in any field. It does, however, show the person has completed a specific course of study involving research, writing, and exams. This experience should prepare a person for a position requiring independent thinking, information analysis, and application of theory.

There are incompetent people with degrees, just as their are incompetent people without degrees. All things being equal, a person with a degree has a better chance at a high level position than one without. If it just a slip of paper, there are plenty of degree mills that will issue you a degree for "life experience". Just don't plan on it taking you too far.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 10-08-2007 at 09:50 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219 View Post
    Have you even graduated High School yet?

I couldn't disagree more with your statement; degrees are a lot more that a slip of paper. I know I spent hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars for my degrees. They may not be from famous schools, but they have certainly helped prepare me for my current job.

Having a degree, regardless of the school, does not guarantee success in any field. It does, however, show the person has completed a specific course of study involving research, writing, and exams. This experience should prepare a person for a position requiring independent thinking, information analysis, and application of theory.

There are incompetent people with degrees, just as their are incompetent people without degrees. All things being equal, a person with a degree has a better chance at a high level position than one without. If it just a slip of paper, there are plenty of degree mills that will issue you a degree for "life experience". Just don't plan on it taking you too far.
    What he said. Ken said it very well.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    The day you actually get on the job is the day you can start throwing stones and making comments.
    Gonz says it best!!!

Forum Member

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your responses. Just so some of you know I am in college right now. Next semester I plan to have dual majors going business management and fire science. When the person told me about the degree as a requirement I was already in college working for my degree so I thought it was just a plus to hear that. Just wanted someone else to clarify if it was legit or not.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Because, as we all know, volunteer chiefs, just like their firefighters, need not be nearly as qualified as their career counterparts. They need only be popular and buy plenty of beer prior to the elections.
    I disagree with that man.I know many Chiefs who are very qualified for the job. Maybe where you are the Chiefs get the job due to the amount of beer they buy, but up in my neck of the woods things are quite the opposite. I feel sorry for you people if that is the case. I'm just saying most of our Chiefs are retired or close to retiring so for someone to say oh by the way you now need a Degree to do this job I would love to see it.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 10-09-2007 at 05:54 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

I originally used to be a plastic surgeon, i got my doctorates at a state university. I started to get an interest in the fire service when i saw the movie backdraft. plastic surgery was really wearing me down i didnt care how much money i would make. I got into fire academy and i started to climb the ranks and became chief.

Thread Information