Forum Member

Default SCBAs and interoperability

Isn't one of the hallmarks of AFG interoperability? We stressed interoperability in our application when we requested funding for SCOTT SCBAs since all of our surrounding departments use SCOTT SCBAS, and since we do not have our own cascade filling system and our surrounding departments are equipped to fill SCOTT SCBAs. My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that SCOTT uses a different threading for their bottles, which, if true, shoots interoperability in the foot if we are required to go with a different manufacturer. In addition, we have tons of spare bottles and facepieces that are all SCOTT. I guess this stuff all goes in the trash heap or for sale if we are forced to accept the lowest bid. Right now, coming up with the extra money for SCOTT does not appear to be a viable option.

Right now, the best quote we have on SCOTT with 30 minute bottles and a spare is $6200.00 according to the NJ state contract price.

Survivair came in at just over $5500.00.

Then I see jhprice3's post in this thread: http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...vivair+warrior, which leaves me wondering why SCOTT is so out of whack in NJ. We are going to start leaning on our SCOTT suppliers to match or beat the Survivair quote.

And I thought writing the grant application was the hard part .

Forum Member

jd read up on this thread DHS Email on SCBA u may want to contact the guy that started it brian or contact kurt but i think that thread should answer your question

FH Mag/.com Contributor

NXG7s are a different thread, AP75s are not. Both have been approved for 2007. State contract may not be your best price either, the vendor I work with is below that for the Scott customers that I'm familiar with and wrote grants for in NJ & PA.

The definition of interoperability doesn't extend to bottles or brand names anyway, only RIT connections.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    NXG7s are a different thread, AP75s are not. Both have been approved for 2007. State contract may not be your best price either, the vendor I work with is below that for the Scott customers that I'm familiar with and wrote grants for in NJ & PA.

The definition of interoperability doesn't extend to bottles or brand names anyway, only RIT connections.
    Thanks, Brian. Can you e-mail me the name of the vendor your work with in NJ & PA?
    jd-.1234@hotmail.com

Thanks again.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess this stuff all goes in the trash heap or for sale if we are forced to accept the lowest bid.
    You are not forced to except low bid. The AFG will only provide funding up to the lowest bid, in this case $5,500. You can still purchase Scott, but you will have to make up the $700 difference.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestTaylorFd29 View Post
    jd read up on this thread DHS Email on SCBA u may want to contact the guy that started it brian or contact kurt but i think that thread should answer your question

Thanks. I read up on it. The SCOTT situation in NJ is nuts. We realize we can do better than the state contract price. We received three different quotes for SCOTT all based on the "state contract price", which is supposed to be the same. We contacted the SCOTT regional rep, and we were told that we had to buy from an in-state supplier. And I read this post from the DHS-email thread, and it drives me nuts, wondering how can they be that much cheaper in Michigan (it can't be aluminum cylinders):

"Scott Air-Pak 75 ( 2007 Edition Compliant )
    Solid Aluminum Back Frame, E-Z Flo Regulator With Air Saver Switch, Kevlar Harness, Heads Up Display, And Rapid Intervention Coupling, Integrated P.A.S.S. LESS Hard Carrying Case

Includes The Following:

Scott Part No. 804101-01, 2216 psig - 30 Minute Aluminum Cylinder & Valve Assembly
    Scott Part No. 805773-72, AV3000 Facepiece. Size: Medium

$ 3,389.00 Each"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JD1234 View Post
    "Scott Air-Pak 75 ( 2007 Edition Compliant )
    Solid Aluminum Back Frame, E-Z Flo Regulator With Air Saver Switch, Kevlar Harness, Heads Up Display, And Rapid Intervention Coupling, Integrated P.A.S.S. LESS Hard Carrying Case

Includes The Following:

Scott Part No. 804101-01, 2216 psig - 30 Minute Aluminum Cylinder & Valve Assembly
    Scott Part No. 805773-72, AV3000 Facepiece. Size: Medium

$ 3,389.00 Each"
    The price difference could be that the one above is a low pressure (2216) Scott SCBA. Aluminum cylinders are only available to low pressure SCBA.

There is over a $400 difference in pricing between aluminum & carbon cylinders according to our sales reps website.

Forum Member

SCOTT uses a different threading for their bottles
    1. Do some research. Filling bottles does not require special threads and SCOTT has nothing different for filling their bottles than anyone else. The "special" SCOTT threads are for the bottle to connect to the SCBA harness and that is a SCOTT only quick connect. That is not used for filling the bottles.

2. Who did you contact in NJ for the purchase? We used J.B. Hunt Fire Equipment and got Scott AP50's with spare bottle and SEMS for under $6k each.

3. In NJ at least, you can usually do better than state contract price. That just lets you do it the easy way and not shop around for competitive prices.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    1. Do some research. Filling bottles does not require special threads and SCOTT has nothing different for filling their bottles than anyone else. The "special" SCOTT threads are for the bottle to connect to the SCBA harness and that is a SCOTT only quick connect. That is not used for filling the bottles.

2. Who did you contact in NJ for the purchase? We used J.B. Hunt Fire Equipment and got Scott AP50's with spare bottle and SEMS for under $6k each.
    On 1., that's why I asked. Since nearly everyone around us uses SCOTT, it's not an easily researched topic. We have other manufacturers coming in to do a presentation, so that will be part of our research process.

On 2., we contacted almost everyone except J.B. Hunt, but at just under $6K each for AP50's, that will certainly be over $6K for AP75s. We will contact them though.

Thanks for the info.

MembersZone Subscriber

If Scott is concerned you're going to change to a different brand (like you have had a competing manufacturer rep (not the local sales guy) if for a demo; or due to DHS pricing) the Regional Scott Rep can offer discount pricing to ONE dealer (like the extra cylinder for free). If you have to get ahold of the regional guy for NJ do so.

Do the same for MSA.

Get quotes from Scott, MSA, Survivair, ISI, and Draeger (and anyone else out there) option as required.

I'd certainly work really really hard to buy the Scott or MSA. Even if it means you have to come up with more than 5%. Find a way.

Forum Member

neiowa, do you have a personal preference for Scott or MSA, or another reason why you prefer them? Scott seems to be used by the majority of departments around us.

I have read this thread http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=73459 with great interest and conclude it makes sense to research all of the brands.

Thread Information