Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up The Seattle phone call...

Has anybody received "the phone call yet?" They said that they will contact all new recruits by October 15th...so I was just wondering if they are waiting for that date to call everyone? Good luck to all!!

Forum Member

Default Coe

I have not. From what I understand (in talking with the secretary) they will be calling everyone right around 10/15 to make appointments for the psych.

That is seven days from now.
    Try to relax.
    You have a whole week to get yourself worked up.
    They are usually on the ball there.

Hang tough,
    bam

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

I'm not getting worked up...but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious. I was just wondering if they were going to start bleeding out phone calls this week or make all of the calls on Monday.

I did my absolute best on everything they had to throw at me so I feel pretty good about myself if I get the call or not. If I don't get the call...ding ding! Round Two here I come!

Good Luck to all!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face

Today's the day...it's 10:35am and all is quiet on the Western Front.

Forum Member

Default Today's the day...

anyone get a phone call yet?

I feel like a teenage girl waiting by the phone on a friday night....

Matt

Forum Member

Default Call

I know of several people who got calls last week.

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face

Well PowerHour that feels like a punch in the gut. I was told last last week that I made the final 50 and that most calls wouldn't be made until today? Does anyone know if they are calling only the January class? Or both the January and March class today??

Forum Member

Default booo :)

well, grats to those that do; see you in jan at the test kilo

Forum Member

Default Recruit class

Per the email sent from recruitment last month, if you haven't received a call by 10/15 then you are not being considered for the NEXT (Jan) recruit academy. I have heard there would be 2-3 academies in 2008.

Remember, there were 190 (out of approx 2500 original applicants) people on the list. Chances are alot of them will:

a) be hired by other departments (you made this one your probably on others)
    b) fail some portion of the background/psych or (felonies, crazies, etc)
    c) pass every phase of the pre-employment process and NOT be offered a job (on the SFD website it says they always consider more applicants than available positions, and if you do a search on these boards SFD mysteriously passes over alot of the top candidates)

So, all is not lost. Keep your heads up, and congrats on making it this far. Last year I didn't even pass the written. This year I made the list; who knows what happens this year (or next). Keep working hard to improve - remember the world recognizes persistence.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Hey guys, the only thing I know about Seattle is that it is in Washington state....

The same rules should still apply though...Study hard and expect to be the best. If you expect anything less, then you already lost....

91Kilo; Matt363: Don't give up....And don't listen to naysayers.....unless they are "in" or on the hiring board, THEY DON'T KNOW SH!%!!!!!

Powerhourcoug: Sounds like you are giving up hope without coming out and saying it. If you make it, then damn good for you. It really is the best job in the world. Let's face reality though. The world, much less the Seattle Fire Department, recognizes persistence. If you are counting yourself out now, save yourself some grief and start studying. There is NO reason that you can't get a perfect score on the next test. If you want it bad enough, it will happen....

Forum Member

I just applied to Seattle FD. They are accepting new apps to begin testing in January 08.

Fingers crossed.

Forum Member

Default re: powerhour coug #3

I can tell you that your 3rd bullet point is incorrect. The website is intentionally generic to protect from candidates going after Seattle. When I went through the process, they told us they were putting more through the final employment screen than they had positions available, but that if everyone passed then they would offer the candidates further down the list a spot in the next academy.

Departments spend a ton of money to screen you, by the time you get to the final employment checks, they know they want you as a candidate. I know that our medical test was 1,000$ alone. That is why they also really don't like it if you bag out after you have accepted the conditional offer, they have made plans to have you in the academy, and have spent a great deal of time and money.

Anways, if people got the call, congrats. Seattle is a great place to be.

Forum Member

Default #3

I stand corrected and am happy to be wrong!

Mike, could you possibly enable your PM? I'd like to ask you a few questions.

Thanks -

PHC

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Does anyone have any idea of what the timeline is for SFD to contact the Spring recruit class? I was thinking about waiting until the end of the application period to resubmit my application...that is if they plan on making the second round of calls in December. Don't get me wrong...I'm extremely punctual, however, with two little curtain-climbers at home, $25 can go a long way.

Forum Member

Default 2nd recruit class

I remember one of the HR employees talking about how they had recently given offers to people for the spring/summer class as we waited to take our 2nd interviews. That was in May. So I imagine they contacted them shortly before then.

Forum Member

Default Application Periods

Don't quote me, but I am pretty sure you won't find out about the spring class before the application period closes for the next test, so you will have to plunk down your $25. Believe me, you won't be sweating spending the $25 if you end up in the spring class. And if you don't end up there, you'll be bummed you didn't sign up for the next test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

That's true Mikey. I'm just trying to gather all of the info that I can, to make a smart (frugal) decision. I'll hold off until December to plunk down my $25 along with my completed 2009 application. Meanwhile the written practice tests, and interview questions/rehearsals continue!!! Good luck to everyone and I will eventually see you in drill school!! Persistence pays!!!!!

Luck is when preparation meets up with opportunity...here's our opportunity...the rest is up to you.

Forum Member

Default Sfd

Kilo - just out of curiosity, where are you from?

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally from Pendleton, Indiana (just northeast of Indy). I got stationed (Army) at Fort Lewis (Tacoma, WA) in 1999 and fell in love with the Pacific Northwest. The fishing and hunting out here are to die for!! I only go back to Indiana to visit family.

FYI...91Kilo was my Job number in the Army (Medical Lab Tech).

Thread Information