Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Florida FF with a question

Hello I am a FF in South Florida. I was born and raised in TN but havent lived there since my early Teens. I have been wanting to move back but as I understand it, Florida makes a lot more money than Tennessee Firefighters. Living is cheaper in TN though. My question is, is the salary your given enough to live off of and raise a family with? I hope I don't sound disrespectful asking the question. It is a strong desire of mine to be back in TN but am worried about the paycut. Thanks and go VOLS!!!

P.S. I've actually considered going to Iraq, just to raise the extra money to help me with a move to TN. Thats how bad I want to leave Florida and go back home.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

Yes, you can raise a family on firefighters' pay in Tennessee. Some of the smaller departments pay poverty wages, but there are others that pay quite well. Large departments' salary scales are probably available online.

I might not be the best example since I work a side job (commercial construction) and my wife works (health care), but I also have four children. I'm not going to be rich, but I've got a place to live, something to drive, plenty to eat, some money to play, and have some set aside to invest, too.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks. I was looking into the Knoxville area, but Knoxville and Kingston both are starting around 25/year. Atleast that is what I was told when I called to have apps mailed to me. Cleveland pays in the mid 30's I believe. It's frustrating because a lot of the departments I called to have them mail me apps won't even let me apply until they are hiring. I guess I have to call every week to ask if they will be hiring.

Forum Member

Default Cleveland, Tn pays in the 30's?

Hey, I too am originally from Cleveland, Tn. but now a Jacksonville Floridian. I'm putting in my apps around North FL but also interviewing in K-ville for the 20-some recruits they're hiring. The pay is actually 27K the first year and should go up from there but where did you hear Cleveland pays in the 30's? I'm not saying it's not true... I'm saying "DAMN!" I never thought of moving home but that much money is tempting... Where do you work and live?

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard it was in the mid 30's when I asked for an application to be mailed to me. That is what the human resources lady told me. I couldn't believe it because Knoxville is a way bigger department and payed considerably less. Also I used to live in Cookeville, and they start at 24-25/year. I Live in Fort Myers florida and I work in Immokalee. It is a lower paying department down here and I make 37/year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Smyrna Fire Dept (about 20mi south of Nashville) is hiring 20 +/- FFs at the beginning of next year...they START at 36k and have an EXCELLENT benefits package. They actually hire based on abilities and qualifications...not whether you meet miniority standards. They have one of the most difficult agility tests, so it would be wise to be in tip-top shape. I've personally never taken it, but I know several who have. Smyrna is a fast growing town with lots of places to live.

Worth looking into... www.townofsmyrna.org

Good luck.
    Put THAT in your pump and flow it.

Proud member IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Have you thought about Clarksville? USA Today reported Clarksville the 4th lowest in cost of living in the US last year. Starting pay is 30,500. We test every year around May. Fort Campbell is right next door and I know they are hiring right now. You must have FF2 and couple other cert. but they pay in the 40's. Now when you get ready to move up here give me a call I sell real estate on my days off and will be glad to take care of a brother.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NismoFire View Post
    Smyrna Fire Dept (about 20mi south of Nashville) is hiring 20 +/- FFs at the beginning of next year...they START at 36k and have an EXCELLENT benefits package. They actually hire based on abilities and qualifications...not whether you meet miniority standards. They have one of the most difficult agility tests, so it would be wise to be in tip-top shape. I've personally never taken it, but I know several who have. Smyrna is a fast growing town with lots of places to live.

Worth looking into... www.townofsmyrna.org

Good luck.
    Smyrna just took applications this summer and if I'm not mistaken they are well into their hiring process. If I were a betting man, I'd say that's the 20 or so they're hiring for next year, but I'd still keep an eye on their website. I used to work in Smyrna and it's really not a bad place. ( if you're into speed traps! )

Forum Member

i took the agility for smyrna, and not easy, and the only have 9 opennings, not 10, not15, not20, (9)!, and was told they will hire from this list for next year, next apps will be taken around march, for the following year so i heard, start running now for the test next year, it`s the most difficult one i`ve taken, and i`ve done several, it`s no joke!!

MembersZone Subscriber

hey everyone, havent been around the boards in a few days. Thanks for all the information and suggestions. How is Tennessee as far as accepting out of state certifications? I am FF2, Pump operator, Fire Officer 1, and EMT-b certed, all in Florida. I know Florida makes it miserable for people moving into the state. I also will have my A.S. in Fire Science by December. Will something like that help up there? Thanks again

MembersZone Subscriber

oh, and sharrock, you will definitely be the first person I contact regarding real estate when/if I move up there. Who knows, maybe you can help me invest.

Default Cleveland Fire Dept.

aka

Hey man. I work for Cleveland. Starting pay is in the low 30's. I've been here six years and I'll make a little over 40k this year. We are in the hiring process right now. I believe there are 28 guys in the pool and we are hiring at least 6 for Jan. 1. We'll probably end up hiring half these guys before all is said and done. We have several guys retiring and a new station is in the works. Unfortuanately for you it will be almost two years before we test again. I'm not originally from here but I really love the area. It's a great place to raise a family and the department is also a great place to work. Good luck.

Forum Member

Default transfer certs to TN

I am also a FL firefighter moving to TN. I contacted the State Fire commission and they said you must become affiliated with a fire department and seek reciprocity. Since FL is Pro Board the FF2 will transfer. As far as the EMT, TN does not recognize EMT- Basic. If you have NREMT-B then you can take a 40 hour class which brings you to the status of EMT-IV and then seek reciprocity. I'm not sure about the pump op and FO1, but they would probably help with getting a job. Check out the TN dept of EMS website and TN Fire commision for the exact details.

Forum Member

sharrock,
    Would you PM or e-mail me? I've been looking everywhere for information about Ft. Campbell. You probably know this, but just in case you don't your PMs are turned off.

Engine32, I also live in the clarksville/ft campbell area and have lived here for going on 12 years now. what kind of information do you want to know?

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wilson247 View Post
    Smyrna just took applications this summer and if I'm not mistaken they are well into their hiring process. If I were a betting man, I'd say that's the 20 or so they're hiring for next year, but I'd still keep an eye on their website. I used to work in Smyrna and it's really not a bad place. ( if you're into speed traps! )

They did, and hired a few...they hired 2 off my volunteer department, and yes, they started Oct 22. HOWEVER, they are accepting applications beginning in January again to take UP TO 20 firefighters.

Regardless, if you find anything around here, post it. The rest of us are looking, too.
    Put THAT in your pump and flow it.

Proud member IACOJ

Thread Information