Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Challenge Coin Etiquette

I recently received a firefighter's challenge coin as a gift from a relative that perused an "Our Designs" catalog and thought I'd like one.
    Last week,I was in a bar with some Navy friends and the challenge coins came out to see who was buying next.Not having an official US Navy challenge coin,I broke out my "Thin Red Line"coin and plunked it on the table.
    Now,none of my tablemates were from the same unit either but they were unanimous in saying I was buying.
    I bought the round anyway,but when disparate unit coins are in play,shouldn't those concerned follow the tradition of each drinker buys a round instead of the odd man out rule?

[FONT=Times New Roman]Douglas R. Patton
    IACOJ
    "Omnis Cedo Domus"
    I am now a former Chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone.
    Isaiah 6:8

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Doug, following the Army tradition, I've always been "taught" that if a coin was issued, and subsequently challenged, as long as you had the appropriate coin of your unit/regiment or whatever, even if it is not the same as the rest of them, then you were "covered".

Example: although I have served with an Armoured unit, I never received a coin from them because I was not an armoured crewman, however I do carry two other coins (not always on me though) that are not from the army at all. According to the rules I know, I would not be required to pay as long as I had one or the other, since it would be well known amongst the party that I was never actually in the armoured corps, although I served with them. Clear as mud?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

I have two challnge coins, but both are police department related. One is a Fairfax County Police Department Motor Squad coin. And the other is a memorial challenge coin produced for my aunt, who was shot and killed in the line of duty.

The only rules I have ever been told was that if one coin is shown if you don't have a challenge coin as well then you buy the drinks. Somehow when ever my little cousins show there coins to the cops they don't have there and they just somehow have juice boxes on hand for them.
    Wade Munday

www.Stafford2fire.com
    -and-
    www.fairfaxfire.org

RIP DET. VICKY ARMEL
    Fairfax County PD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 5-8-2006

RIP DEPUTY/FF JASON MOONEY
    Stafford Sheriffs/Stafford VFD
    LODD
    End Of Watch 10-19-2007

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

I'm with Rick.

Although, the rules should have been clarified at the presentation. There are a lot of ways to do it, but your example sounds like you got hosed.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

I hafta agree that you were hosed. The guy who started the challenge should have bought if everyone responded (and I would think your coin is a valid response). I think your Navy 'buds' were covering for their pal at your expense....

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

If everyone had their challenge coin, the challenger should have bought the round.

Forum Member

I think the issue at hand goes more to whether a "civilian" challenge coin (PD, FD, PSD, etc) is of equal "standing" to a military one.

If their contention is that your Fire coin "isn't the same" as a military coin, then I suppose the next round you drop the Fire coin, and tell them if they don't cough up PD or FD coins they're buying.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    I think the issue at hand goes more to whether a "civilian" challenge coin (PD, FD, PSD, etc) is of equal "standing" to a military one.

If their contention is that your Fire coin "isn't the same" as a military coin, then I suppose the next round you drop the Fire coin, and tell them if they don't cough up PD or FD coins they're buying.
    HAHAHAHAAA I like that one!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Consider also that their coins were no doubt unique to particular units -- not generic over-the-counter commercial coins. In that respect, they may have had a point. (A weak point but a point nonetheless. I suspect they may not have totally accepted a generic commercial navy coin either.)
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

I kinda considered that point too, DM, but then decided that if "You" bought your coin just because you thought it was "kuul", then there would be a point. Otherwise, most coins are issued for specific reasons, and in many cases are serialized too. I have two that depending on circumstance will carry with me.

One is from my tour of the Arabian Gulf with HMCS VANCOUVER, during OP APOLLO/ENDURING FREEDOM 2001/02 for 79 days straight at sea, (of which only 225 were issued) and the other one is from the Foreign Joint Services NCO Association here in Washington. The other coins are just momentos and in my opinion have no "barganing power".

Forum Member

That's the issue.I knew some of these guys from Basic and we all served in the same ship at the same time.
    Anyway,I've long had the policy of never offering a challenge nor being the man without his coin.That way I should never have to buy.
    I will take your suggestion up at next year's reunion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Consider also that their coins were no doubt unique to particular units -- not generic over-the-counter commercial coins. In that respect, they may have had a point. (A weak point but a point nonetheless. I suspect they may not have totally accepted a generic commercial navy coin either.)
    When was the last time you took a visit to the local AAFES PX/BX??? Even the crappy little double-wide "PXs" they run at Reserve and Guard installations have a nice selection of challenge coins both generic (e.g. US ARMY) and Branch-specific (e.g. Armor, Infantry, Medical, etc) or even ones from local Division or Brigade-level commands (1st ID, 82nd ABN, etc).
    I can just imagine some young PV2 "PX Ranger" buying himself a nice 1st ID coin and making up a sweet story about how he got it from the General Himself... LOL
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    One is from my tour of the Arabian Gulf with HMCS VANCOUVER, during OP APOLLO/ENDURING FREEDOM 2001/02 for 79 days straight at sea, (of which only 225 were issued) and the other one is from the Foreign Joint Services NCO Association here in Washington. The other coins are just momentos and in my opinion have no "barganing power".
    I seem to recall my younger brother showing me a similar coin after his OP Apollo tour on the Algonquin as well. Nice little token.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    I seem to recall my younger brother showing me a similar coin after his OP Apollo tour on the Algonquin as well. Nice little token.
    Ya it is, for the most part. Of course everyone who was out there on Roto 00 has his/her own story to go with it. But no need to go into that part here - its been done. Actually I "dusted" mine off last week, during the LO/EXO Conference. My old XO from VANCOUVER was here to give a brief, and ya shoulda seen his eyes open up when I pulled it out of my pocket. He calmed down after I told him that there was no significance behind my having it with me other than to say "I still have it". heheheheee

But I'm sure you were tempted to say:

"Pay up Biatch!"

IACOJ

Forum Member

I guess,in the old days you used to spill more than some of these new guys in the Navy drink.Was that what he was worried about,paying your bar bill?
    My ship went through two XOs while I was onboard and the second one was famous for coming back from shore leave(officers don't go on Liberty,like the enlisted do)so toasted one time that the Duty Master at Arms had to remove the doorknob to his cabin and while he was doing that,X had leaned up against the bulkhead and slid down to the deck.
    I,on the other hand was known for coming back so well oiled that instead of trying to climb into my bunk(in the "penthouse"apartment of a three man bunk tier),I'd just lay on the deck snoozing soundly.I got kicked in the head once and the guy thought he'd killed me when I didn't wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    My old XO from VANCOUVER was here to give a brief, and ya shoulda seen his eyes open up when I pulled it out of my pocket. He calmed down after I told him that there was no significance behind my having it with me other than to say "I still have it". heheheheee

Thread Information