Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default One of those "wow" stories...

Fla. Police Officer Sues Victim's Family
    The Associated Press
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007; 10:45 AM

CASSELBERRY, Fla. -- A police officer who slipped and injured a knee during a rescue call has sued the family who phoned 911 after their 1-year-old boy nearly drowned.

The child, Joey Cosmillo, fell into the family pool in January. He was resuscitated but suffered brain damage and can't walk, talk or swallow. He lives in a nursing home and eats and breathes through tubes.

Police Sgt. Andrea Eichhorn alleges the boy's family left a puddle of water on the floor, causing her fall during the rescue effort. She broke her knee and missed two months of work.

Eichhorn's attorney, David Heil, said she now has persistent knee pain and will likely develop arthritis. He said city benefits paid by workers' compensation and some disability checks helped with medical bills, but it wasn't enough.

"It's a situation where the Cosmillos have caused these problems, brought them on themselves, then tried to play the victim," Heil said.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.

"The loss we've suffered, and she's seeking money?" said Richard Cosmillo, the boy's grandfather who lived in the home with his wife and the boy's mother. "Of course there's going to be water in the house. He was sopping wet when we brought him in."

Eichhorn's personnel file includes numerous commendations. The 12-year veteran has worked as a hostage negotiator and prostitution decoy, and even wrestled razors away from a suicidal person.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by DianeC View Post
    Fla. Police Officer Sues Victim's Family
    The Associated Press
    Wednesday, October 10, 2007; 10:45 AM

CASSELBERRY, Fla. -- A police officer who slipped and injured a knee during a rescue call has sued the family who phoned 911 after their 1-year-old boy nearly drowned.
    You're f@#%$*g kidding me!!!
    :P
    Last edited by firecat1; 10-10-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    You're f@#%$^*g kidding me!!!
    :P
    Couldn't have said it better myself.......wtf is she thinking...Yeah, she was hurt trying to do good, but its a risk ff's and cops take when they sign up for the job. I wonder if that means everytime a ff gets hurt on a fire call they can sue the home/building owner?

What a POS!
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

That biznatch does not deserve to be called a police officer....I was treated for smoke inhalation after a fire once. I didn't get to sue the homeowner! That's what work comp is for, and that lady is dispicable just for even thinking of such a thing.....
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

MembersZone Subscriber

deleted post
    Last edited by bigred513; 10-20-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Thumbs down Another disgusting story

For those NJ guys, you may have seen this. I was going to post it under "Brotherhood," but I couldn't clean my vomit off the keyboard to type.

The story makes me sick. Why does death make people greedy savages????
    I can never forget that Christmas night two years ago, and this case trivializes the loss of two outstanding officers.

Thursday, October 04, 2007
    BY MICHAELANGELO CONTE
    JERSEY JOURNAL
    Two Jersey City police officers plunged from the Lincoln Highway Bridge on Christmas night 2005 and died as partners -- but that didn't stop the family of one officer from trying to sue the other cop.

Shawn Carson, 40, and Robert Nguyen, 30, had dropped off flares on the Kearny side of the lift bridge because its barriers were broken that foggy night. With Nguyen behind the wheel, they headed back toward Jersey City unaware the center portion of the bridge had been raised. Their vehicle plunged into the river.

In July, the attorney representing Sonya Badger, Carson's sister, and Carson's family filed a motion to amend an earlier lawsuit in an attempt to add Nguyen to the list of defendants the family says are responsible for Carson's death.

"Despite his awareness that the bridge was to be raised and despite the foggy and rainy weather condi tion which limited visibility of the road, defendant Nguyen nonetheless decided to drive the police vehicle back over the bridge," the amended version would have claimed.

"It just blew my mind," said Mason Nguyen, Robert Nguyen's brother. "My brother is deceased and they are coming after him?"

Nguyen family attorney Steven Blader said Superior Court Judge John A. O'Shaughnessy denied the motion last month.

Blader said O'Shaughnessy ex plained that Carson could not sue his fellow police department employee in connection to injuries suf fered during the execution of their duties.

Both families have already settled suits against the Department of Transportation, with the Carson family getting $1 million. Nguyen family members said his settlement was slightly higher, but did not specify the amount.

The amended lawsuit said that before driving the police vehicle back toward the Jersey City side of the bridge, Nguyen was aware the center span of the bridge was to be raised.

Carson's family wanted to add to the suit that Nguyen, given the conditions, "failed to take the proper precautions in driving the police vehicle back over the bridge and was unreasonable and negligent in doing so."

It says that as a result of these factors, Carson "suffered grievous injury, fear of impending death, and death by drowning."

Mason Nguyen said his family was disappointed that Carson's family tried to blame Robert Nguyen, and Mason noted that the families had been on good terms for the past two years.

Last week the bridge was re named in honor of the two officers. The ceremony went smoothly with both families throwing red, white and blue wreaths form the bridge into the river.

If the Cosmillos had made their pool baby-proof, police would not have been called to the scene, there would have been no water on the floor, and Eichhorn would not have hurt herself, he said.

"It's a situation where the Cosmillos have caused these problems, brought them on themselves, then tried to play the victim," he said.
    Play the victim? Play the victim? If anyone is playing victim, it's this worthless cop. This woman sickens me. I wonder how she can stand to put on a uniform every day and think of herself as a servant... when all she's there for is a handout. This would be different if there was intent to injure an officer or other responder... but this... this is just wrong.

Some Guy

There has to be more to this.
    This space for rent

What I posted on the parallel thread:

"Well it has been my experience that most drownings or near drownings result in wet victims....
    With that in mind, I am fairly certain the family did not deliberately throw water on the floor to sabotage the cop.
    So while in public service, you get hurt in public service, suing the victim or family just may not be that popular with the public. Honestly, do believe there was a conspiracy to hurt a public service officer with the old "drown baby" trick?"
    This would be different if there was intent to injure an officer or other responder
    This is what makes it sick, she's playing the victim...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Things that make you go wow, indeed...
    Sounds to me like someone's looking for an early retirement.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Reminds me of what we are always taught. Scene safety, scene safety, scene safety. This "cop" should have seen the water on the floor and returned to her patrol car and waited for backup!!!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

really wow,story.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

This has got to the be the dumbest thing I've ever heard all week. Whats even stupider is that there is an attorney out there that would stoop this low as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Honestly, do you believe there was a conspiracy to hurt a public service officer with the old "drown the baby" trick?"
    I'm sorry but despite how sad this whole story is, that there is funny!
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Now ya know thats real funny how when a person gets pulled out of a pool they are almost always WET, thereby making large puddles on the floor. Imagine that eh? Whoda thunk it?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

and again, everyone is assuming the puddle on the floor was from the child that was being worked on.

Question, was the family having a water fight before hand? were they throwing water all over as a game? was the puddle the officer slipped on caused by the family mopping the floor?

Lots of assumptions here and not facts.

Of course, based on my assumption (which is the same as most of yours) this is a sad/pathetic story.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Question, was the family having a water fight before hand? were they throwing water all over as a game? was the puddle the officer slipped on caused by the family mopping the floor?
    Another question: Does it really matter why the water was there?

Lots of assumptions here and not facts.
    Facts:
    Officer responded to a call for service.
    Officer slipped in water present at the scene of said call for service, fell, and was injured.
    Deduction:
    The family either was not aware of the water, or lacked the appropriate multi-lingual "Caution! Wet floor!/ˇPeligro! ˇPiso Mojado!" signage to post for the officer and rescue crews, making them liable for a slip and fall.
    Conclusion:
    The family should have been mandated to be compliant with Federal, State, and local signage regulations for such hazards, and should be cited for failure to deploy appropriate warning signage, and for hazardous material spillage (dihydrogen monoxide).
    Corollary:
    Since the officer effected HAZMAT cleanup with her trousers, she should be able to bill the family for such services, and the replacement cost of the trousers, since they are now considered contaminated.

No assumptions there, Bonesy....just the facts, ma'am, just the facts.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

1141: YOU DA MAN!!! heheheheehehehehee
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber JamesPeters21's Avatar

Thats just sad. I know every call i go out on there is the chance someone or I could get hurt. You would think others would know that too.

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    This has got to the be the dumbest thing I've ever heard all week. Whats even stupider is that there is an attorney out there that would stoop this low as well.

You're not really surprised that a lawyer would take this case....are you....lawyers drive the "I'M GONNA SUE YOU BUS" with all the commercials saying if you've been injured or wronged sue somebody. The lawyer even accused the family who lost a child of "playing the victim".
    Last edited by mvfd27; 10-11-2007 at 10:57 AM.

Thread Information