MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jobs after Retirement

I am looking for some ideas on where to start looking for jobs/businesses/consulting etc. for someone who is retiring after 31 years. I am a Division(Deputy) Chief with an engineering backround.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why retire from a great job only to get another one? Take up a hobby.....you've earned it!

FossilMedic

Many mid-fifty baby boomers need the stimulation of another job, even if it is only 20 hours a week.

divchf, congrats on your municipal career! Depending on how much academic paper (degrees) you have accumulated, there are emergency service related opportunities in:

Developing contingency plans for large corporations or institutions.
    Becoming a subject matter expert in an area you want to obsess about.
    Becoming a part-time or full time academic (those that cannot, teach).
    Doing something completely different but personally satisfying.

One of my fire department bosses moved his hobby of restoring automobiles into a slightly larger part of his lifestyle. He made it a business so he could write off his trips, tools and toys.

I found the challenge of retirement was the lack of structure and order that municipal employment brought. There is no equivalent of a civil service promotion test. There are better risk-reward opportunities.

You may want to look at the following books:
    What Color Is Your Parachute? 2007: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-Changers by Richard Nelson Bolles

Become A Recognized Authority In Your Field - In 60 Days Or Less by Robert W. Bly (2001)

There are a dozen books on second careers.

Good luck!

Mike

Assistant Professor of Emergency Medicine
    The George Washington University

author, Fire Officer: Principles and Practice (Jones and Bartlett)

Forum Member

Default Congratulations!!

The time when you retire is a precious one. Enjoy it but if you need to keep your fingers on the pulse of the Fire Department or any other job think consultant. There are many Cities who could use your expertice. You can pick and choose what ever you like. For me it was Fire Commissioner. The knowledge you have will be a great asset to any Fire Department or City.
    Good luck with your retirement and welcome to the R.F.O.A.

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

It looks hot in there

How bout being a greeter at walmart? Lol.....

My grandfather retired from the auto service business after 50 some odd years, he moved into landscaping. It was one of the best moves he said he ever made. Work 5-6 months of the year, can go hunting five days a week if he feels like it, and still gets any downtime he wants.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all of the ideas

Mike, I'll check out the two books you mentioned.

I'm only 55, so Walmart or just sitting back and relaxing probably won't cut it.

And the "great job" isn't so great anymore. Lots of whining and discontent in the department. Mostly because of no contract or raises in 6 years.

Thanks Again for you input.

Tom Ashe
    Division Chief
    Buffalo Fire Dept

Forum Member

Default have fun

My father-in-law retired after a full career as a cop. He got a job working at the Oakland coliseum at sporting events. He can work at all of the Raiderís, and Aís games he wants, as well as special events. He sets his own schedule, and seems to have a great time doing it.

I met a guy yesterday that retired from Anaheim fire as an acting B/C, he is working for Fed-Ex. He said he enjoys that area, because it is very rural and he gets to get lost and explore a lot. Another person I talked to retired from El Cerrito PD and got a job for the USPS delivering packages in his own car. They pay him $25 an hour and he can work up to 3 days a week. He said he loves it because everyone is happy to see him when he shows up.

I think the great thing about working after you retire is that you donít have to do it for the money, but for the fun. One of our B/Cís that retired about 10 years ago loved driving truck. He didnít want any managerial duties, just work. He got on delivering concrete and loved it. The great part is that when he was done, he could just stop.

Another interesting thing you could do is to apply with Manpower or another temp agency. You tell them what you are interested in and they call you and offer you jobs for just a day or two or longer. You donít have to take anything you donít feel like, and you get to do some interesting things.

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by divchf View Post
    And the "great job" isn't so great anymore. Lots of whining and discontent in the department. Mostly because of no contract or raises in 6 years.
    Peter Drucker identified that our generation of workers will retire from boredom or mental fatigue, not because we are physically worn out.

We have skill sets that, like military retirees, serve us well in other jobs.

Steve Edwards runs the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute and is the retired PGFD fire chief. He points out that when he meets with the boss, he is describing problems or issues that MFRI is handling ... perhaps he is requesting additional funding or just keeping the boss in the loop. The fire department approach is to push the problem solving down the chain of command to the action level.

That is very different from the academic model of problem solving which involves many meetings, long emails and little corrective action. The dean is the one forced to make a decision. The boss is a big supporter of MFRI because they bring him solutions and not problems.

My biggest challenge was going from being an insider to being a rookie.
    For the first year I did not even know that I did not know.
    I was very uncomfortable and hated having to "start over." It was a challenge to find the right fit.

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

Mike and Rob,

Thanks again for the different insights.

I still have several months to go.....lots of reading and thinking.

Thanks Again,

Tom Ashe
    Soon to BE Retired Division Chief
    Buffalo Fire

Thread Information