Default Kwaj and Iraq $$$ ??

I have checked on Iraq with wackenhut and kbr and also I have looked at Kwaj with Chugach Alaska Corporation.And nowhere does it say how long the contract is for or how much $$.Can anybody give me so info on this?Which one would be the best?Also can leave for R\R or what?Thanks for any hellp on this.

Forum Member

i worked out at kwaj between 04 and 05 and at the time it was a one year contract. now however it's two years, if you break contract you have to payback the company the costs of moving you out to the island. at the time i was only getting nine bucks a hour, can't say for certain but i think pay has gone up a little. you work two days on and two off which leaves you plenty of time for fishing, scuba diving, wind surfing, etc. iraq is a one year contract where your making around ninety thousand, eighty of that is tax free. for both contracts you get vacations every four months i don't remember if the company out at kwaj reimburses you for you ticket like wsi does (up to $860). if you want paradise with the cool ocean breeze and the chance to hangout on the beach all year go to kwaj but if you want the money and the chance to get out and see the world i'd say go to iraq.

Forum Member

Default Kwaj

I just left Kwaj in August. I cut my contract a half year shy of 2 years. I had to pay my own ticket off the island (airfare) but the company pays for your goods to be shipped home. They pay you low wages if your a basic firefighter, but your salary increases as you get involved with the job. Work hard, get a good eval and promote to EMT, you can get a good bump in pay. Take the certs the training cheif offers and you will be liked. Theres a ton of BS work but its slow there and its expected that you earn your money somehow. Its really corosive there and the buildings are falling apart. Meck Island is gearing up, and has a new firestation built there. Its going to be so nice. The one on Kwaj however is losing chuncks daily and there have been days where I would be on duty and not able to work in the station because of concrete falling. Some patchwork here and there and its business as usual. I would do the contract again if I had the choice to go back in time.

FYI I got over 2$ increase in my first year, and I started at 10.5. But the OT is huge and you can walk away with fat pay checks. You get about a month of time off too.

Forum Member

Exclamation D00d, Make With The Loot!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsettingfire1 View Post
    I just left Kwaj in August. I cut my contract a half year shy of 2 years. I had to pay my own ticket off the island (airfare) but the company pays for your goods to be shipped home. They pay you low wages if your a basic firefighter, but your salary increases as you get involved with the job. Work hard, get a good eval and promote to EMT, you can get a good bump in pay. Take the certs the training cheif offers and you will be liked. Theres a ton of BS work but its slow there and its expected that you earn your money somehow. Its really corosive there and the buildings are falling apart. Meck Island is gearing up, and has a new firestation built there. Its going to be so nice. The one on Kwaj however is losing chuncks daily and there have been days where I would be on duty and not able to work in the station because of concrete falling. Some patchwork here and there and its business as usual. I would do the contract again if I had the choice to go back in time.

FYI I got over 2$ increase in my first year, and I started at 10.5. But the OT is huge and you can walk away with fat pay checks. You get about a month of time off too.
    Make with the info...email me if you know any solid info.

email=paypalebayuser@yahoo.com
    Last edited by CaliburKid; 01-31-2008 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Wrong Info Posted...

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Kwaj contract information

I am looking into starting my career off with a contract firefighting position while my girlfriend finishes up college. I would love to spend a couple years in paradise as it sounds. I do not have any paid experience but I have volunteered for over a year and am almost finished up with my Associates degree in Fire science, I have some IFSAC's and EMT-B Will this allow me to get the job? Please send me as much information as possible on this job. Thank you for your time.
    Email: Bryanparks13@yahoo.com

Forum Member

Question Bare Minimum...

Just out of curiousity, about how much does one make per paycheck in Kwaj? And this is after the minor taxes and no overtime, basic firefighter pay?

Thread Information