Default looking for some guidance

hi,

i have looked around on the internet quiet a bit about becoming a firemen. i am an us soldier in 1-4 cav. currently in baghdad. the internet here is very slow lol, and i dont get much time to get on.

was hopeing someone could give me a push in the right direction. like what i can do when i get back state side. when i get back i have a little time left in the army, like 2 years. could go to school if that is needed (which would be free). i have seen some places say degrees like fire science is good then someone says you dont need it unless you are already a firefighter. also read about fire academys, and emt. i wouldnt mind volunteering but i have 2 kids and twins on the way lol, so i couldnt really "volunteer".

anyway if anyone would could help me out, i would be very greatfull. i look around much as i can myself, but like i said the internet here is slow, very slow lol.

thanks for the help
    josh

Permanently Removed

if the army will give you the DOD fire training then do that, or try and get emt thru there. fire depts are hard to get hired on in some regions more than others. being a paramedic opens a lot of doors, and being prior military is highly looked upon as well. it will be hard because you are going to either have to become a paramedic and get hired somewhere that will put you thru training for fire, or get fire and emt and medic on your own. although different areas require different things and will put you through different training. ask the fire dept in the area you want to live what the requirements are for them and the surrounding depts, but be open-minded to moving to get on a good fire dept. so many people talk about how they would do anything to be a full time firefighter and they get all kinds of training and degrees, but won't move a couple cities away where you can get hired on an fd that fights fire, and not some suburb that just runs medicals.

Thread Information