Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Written Test Attire?

I am fairly new at the whole testing process. I have been a volly. for 5 years now and decided this was the career for me. I have seen alot of remarks about what you should wear to an interview, but does it matter what you wear for a written test? Are T-shirt and pants cool? Or do you go for a more casual look? Or does it just not matter? I want to make the best first impression that I can. Any advice would be appreciated!

Forum Member

Default Written test attire

I try and dress up a little but, but still remain comfortable. Khakis and a nice polo or button up shirt.

The funniest stuff I see at tests are guys that show up in their full volunteer class-B uniforms, pagers and all. Its pretty sad actually.

It looks hot in there PureAdrenalin's Avatar

If it's a tiny test, dress up a bit. But if it's a huge test...just wear what your comfortable in. I wore a hoodie and cargo pants to the FDNY test..I saw guys wearing suits. I don't think it will make a difference where I'm ranked.
    'Adversus incendia excubias nocturnas vigilesque commentus est"

www.vententersearch.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Go casual...

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    I try and dress up a little but, but still remain comfortable. Khakis and a nice polo or button up shirt.
    That about nails it. Be comfortable but you never know who you might meet at the test center who might have input into your career later on. You don't want to show up looking like a schmuck.

If the getting the job is a priority for you then it's worth taking a little time and effort to dress professionally for every occasion where you have the opportunity to make a positive impression.

Good luck!
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

I try and make sure i have a haircut, am clean shaven, wear a polo or button up shirt, and casual dress shoes. I am not on a dept. anywhere so I am not claiming my opinion matters on this but I find it to be a pet peev of mine when I go to a test and more than half the guys in the room are wearing FDNY or Chicago T-shirts or their local or vollie T-shirt. I just think its goofy and at one particular orientation one of the firemen speaking actually mentioned it too and auditorium where probably 350 out of 500 were wearing other departments T-shirts. He stated that you are there to test for our department so why do all you have other departments t-shirts on. Just my observation but when someone who is on a department brought it up too I feel there might be something too it. Good Luck in your testing. Always remember 2 #2 pencils too no matter what anyone tells you.

Permanently Removed

When i was testing i found that the more fire related clothing you would have on the better!!! Find some big johnson fire shirts or pretty much any volunteer shirt you can find. Other people will probaly be intimidated by you because they will think you are hardcore!

Good Luck and when you make it to the academy show those punks how it is done!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlKalineTrio View Post
    ....at one particular orientation one of the firemen speaking actually mentioned it too....
    I always hoped someone would.

Let me reiterate this: Do not wear any fire department paraphanelia to a written test. Your department, the department you're testing for, Timbuktu FD, etc. You'll look like the biggest choad.

Look professional. Wear a suit if you have to. Khakis and a polo or collared shirt will do too.
    Dress like you want the job. Not like you're on it.
    Don't wear what you rolled out of bed with that morning.
    Lose the ballcap, flip-flops, shorts and sunglasses for a few hours that day.
    Run a razor across your face and not that dull rock you found in the parking lot.

All that said, start preparing for the fire service oral interview now. It is different.

Good luck,
    bam

Forum Member

All I wear are nice looking jeans, a t-shirt, and one of those ok looking pull over sweaters, don't know how to describe it.

I don't really beleive the people saying wear a suit when you are one of thousands testing. Obviously don't look like a slob, but the biggest thing is to be comfortable so you can get a good grade.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    I always hoped someone would.

Let me reiterate this: Do not wear any fire department paraphanelia to a written test. Your department, the department you're testing for, Timbuktu FD, etc. You'll look like the biggest choad.

Look professional. Wear a suit if you have to. Khakis and a polo or collared shirt will do too.
    Dress like you want the job. Not like you're on it.
    Don't wear what you rolled out of bed with that morning.
    Lose the ballcap, flip-flops, shorts and sunglasses for a few hours that day.
    Run a razor across your face and not that dull rock you found in the parking lot.

All that said, start preparing for the fire service oral interview now. It is different.

Good luck,
    bam
    Funny. I know at a recent PAT for a large Puget Sound fire department some poor bastard decided to show up wearing his VFD hat, and one of the test proctors singled him out in front of the hundreds of people in attendance. He grabbed said fellows hat and said "You see this? Don't do this sh*t! Do you want to work here, or do you want to work for THIS department?!!!?". Funny thing is people do this ALL the time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    Funny. I know at a recent PAT for a large Puget Sound fire department some poor bastard decided to show up wearing his VFD hat, and one of the test proctors singled him out in front of the hundreds of people in attendance. He grabbed said fellows hat and said "You see this? Don't do this sh*t! Do you want to work here, or do you want to work for THIS department?!!!?". Funny thing is people do this ALL the time.

It really is pretty tacky. I agree that it is a very bad thing to do.

Possibly the worse though, if you are a civie employee of a fire department and are looking to cross over, don't wear department apperal to the testings be it written, cpat, physical or whatever. You look like a jerk and most of the other canidates think you are looking for special preference, I'm sure the actual proctors feel the same way.

Most people have some tacky fire related or VFD shirt for every day of the week, so what do you expect? Those are dingers if I ever saw one

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PureAdrenalin View Post
    to the FDNY test..
    I dont remember exactly what I wore, just that I wished Id worn more of it. After waiting outside that morning, it was a good 45 minutes before my bits/pieces re-descended.

Quote Originally Posted by PureAdrenalin View Post
    If it's a tiny test, dress up a bit. But if it's a huge test...just wear what your comfortable in. I wore a hoodie and cargo pants to the FDNY test..I saw guys wearing suits. I don't think it will make a difference where I'm ranked.
    There isn't necessarily "a one size fits all" answer. Like PureAdrenalin said, it really all depends on the size of the group testing. I will say, however, that wearing a hat and shirt representing the department you're already on is in bad taste. If you want to show that you already have fire and/or EMS experience, say it at the interview. People who wear that stuff with their EMT pants and duty boots just look like they're trying to prove something at an inappropriate time. I really don't think a suit is necessary either. Once again, save that for the interview. Just go casual dressy (e.g., khakis and a polo, button-up, or sweater) and you'll be safe.

I agree with those who said do not wear any FD shirts, hats, pagers (like you're going to leave for a call at that point anyway...) to the written tests. The testing starts the day you drop off your application. Be respectful, dress nicely (I do believe a suit is overkill at the written test). I would not wear jeans or a sweatshirt, but khakis and a nice sweater or polo. NO BALL CAPS! I can't believe how many people wear ball caps to the testing. When I was growing up, ball caps were never to be worn under a roof. Outside only with very, very few exceptions.

Basically;
    - no ball caps
    - no FD stuff
    - no scruffy stuff
    - look nice
    - look like you want to be hired by a professional organization!!
    Vita brevis; terra larga.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am currently a member for a career dept but have tested for several other larger depts. The biggest thing that I have seen is when the Main Proctor has to remind people to shut off their cell phones and pagers. DO NOT take a cell phone or pager into the test site. As for a Baseball Hat, I have worn them to the test, but as soon as I enter the building, I remove the hat, as a sign of respect. I was at one test earlier this year where one of the Proctors actually had to annouce for test takers to remove their hats and shut off their cell phones and pagers (you wouldn't believe how many cell phones were being shut off). As for attire, I usually wear a nice pair of jeans, sneakers, golf shirt (polo) and/or pull-over sweater (depending on weather). I don't believe suits make much of a difference at a large test, but I agree with others, don't look like you just got out of bed.

Wear khakis and a nice oxford shirt or polo, weather dependent. No hats, even if you take it off you will have hat head(bald guys will have ring around the head). Leave your pockets empty, no cell phone/pager/blackberry, no change or huge key ring. You don't want to finish earlier than most or need to go to the bathroom and be that guy that jingles all the way. NO FIRE DEPARTMENT GEAR OF ANY TYPE! Most of all get a good nights sleep and a good breakfast/lunch before you take the test.

It really is not that hard to figure out, but if you go to these test you would think that half these guys grew up in a honky-tonk or rap studio, based on their demeanor and style of dress. Think Country Club, not Dance Club or Firehouse Bar.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

I've read about guys who have donned the suit just to turn the application in in order to make a good first impression.
    I will say that if you are comfortable in a suit and testing for a smaller department where their members proctor it, go for it. It won't hurt you.

MembersZone Subscriber RoughRider's Avatar

This is the start of the process to earn a Badge or hopefully the start your career. I have seen members and officers of the every dept I have tested for present at the exam. Be professional, act professional, dress professional. How do you know the jake you exchanged pleasentries with as you signed in to test won't be sitting in front of you during the orals? You don't so why not have a polished approach? First impressions are so important.

I'm not saying wear a suit but dress neat and comfortably enough to score the best grade possible.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

In Massachusetts, the Human Resources Division of rhe Department of Personnel Administration is the organization that gives the Civil Service Firefighters Entrance exam, as well as promotional exams.

HRD/DPA rents schools in different areas of the state for the exams and hires teachers from that school to be the proctors for the exam.

Nobody from the Department you are trying to get hired on nor anyone from HRD will be there, except for the HRD/DPA rep who is there to check ID's for test applicants.

Dressing up for that entrance exam is a moot point. I would, however, dress neatly for an interview with the Chief or the Human Resources/Personnel Director for the community where you are doing your interviews.

Just my five and a half cents worth.. Deputy Chiefs have to pay a little more!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Default Suite

Quote Originally Posted by ffbam24 View Post
    I've read about guys who have donned the suit just to turn the application in in order to make a good first impression.
    I will say that if you are comfortable in a suit and testing for a smaller department where their members proctor it, go for it. It won't hurt you.
    Yes, absolutely. I've worn a suit to turn in applications on several occasions. They did notice, but I don't know if that particular action made a difference. But, I've been told the small little details can add up in the end.

I'd estimate about 400 of the 1600 people at Seattle's test were wearing FD gear of some sort. Another few hundred looked the part (butt rockers, etc) of people who just showed up off the street. HR runs their test but there ARE SFD personnel (most notably Recruitment Captain Windle) on hand who "appear" to be "casually observing the crowd". They are watching, and assume they see EVERYTHING.
    Last edited by powerhourcoug; 10-12-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Thread Information