Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Social activities

What social activities does your department do to motaviate members?

We host pool tournaments for our members and honourary members as well as dart games. We also have sunday nights where a lot of the guys go to the hall to play cards and shoot pool. Our dept usually puts a team into the hockey league in town for some sunday night puck during the winter months.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Crab feasts, picnics, texas hold-em tournaments

Motivate them to be friends and hang out? or motivate them to be better firefighters?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Permanently Removed

we get together at the bar and get hammered. it allows you to have an excuse to speak your mind. sometimes we have swingers parties too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Motivate them to be friends and hang out? or motivate them to be better firefighters?
    I think that we already have the answer to this one!!!

But maybe, just maybe, if you throw a party and then sneak in some training, you could do both!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

you can organize a little trip with the guys of your firehouse,like for 3 to 4 days.go camping and share some food,sometimes,it helps to know each other better.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Hey Bones, I would have to ask the same question! Seems that in todays fire service, the what is in it for me attitude is becoming more prevelant than that of yesterdays fire service at least in the volley ranks around my neck of the woods.

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by orangebuster View Post
    Hey Bones, I would have to ask the same question! Seems that in todays fire service, the what is in it for me attitude is becoming more prevelant than that of yesterdays fire service at least in the volley ranks around my neck of the woods.

It's happening in my area as well, but mainly in the career ranks.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Quote Originally Posted by orangebuster View Post

Unfortunately, I'd agree.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I don't agree, at least it doesn't seem to be the case on my department in
    the Rural midwest. We train twice a month, we take turns cooking a meal before each training and we have a summer bbq and x-mas party and that is basicly the extent of our social activities.

iggerzonfire, if you take away dinner before every training night...will you still get the same guys to show up? Are they coming for dinner, or for the training?

Forum Member

iggerzonfire, if you take away dinner before every training night...will you still get the same guys to show up? Are they coming for dinner, or for the training?
    uhm...I would have to honestly say the training, our department requires that you make 6 of the 24 trainings a year, and we have 90% attendance at the trainings. I think dinner is just one of the very few "benifits" we have to offer. We are paid per call and per training, we automatically have money taken out of our paychecks to pay for those meals, so its not as if its a "free" meal. The money also pays for shirts, hats, ect.......!

We are paid per call and per training
    Ah, was thinking you were volunteer. That puts a different outlook on the "what's in it for me".

Quote Originally Posted by mbarham View Post
    What social activities does your department do to motaviate members?
    Mark;
    Back here in Fla, we have a social event at least once a month, golfing, surfing at typhoon lagoon, picnic at the beach with different events, etc.

We are now going to play football at the field after work parties (Saturday mornings), as well as having BBQs every now and then. We have a brand new plasma screen TV, and are in the process of updating our DVD collection so people can come up the the station, hangout, and watch TV.

Try getting a hockey team, or football team for every station in the twp, and compete on the weekends, then in the summer, go to softball.

Send me a PM later, since it wont let me PM you
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Ah, was thinking you were volunteer. That puts a different outlook on the "what's in it for me".
    well.....I am volunteer, I get about $250 per year. Thats barely anything, I personally spend that money buying some of the little things the department doesn't issue....like extaction gloves, flashlight, knife, things like that.

We are paid per call and per training
    about $250 per year
    Don't even try to complain to me about how little $$$ you get. Around here, you get paid $0 for calls and $0 for training. If you are getting anything more than that, don't complain you have low turnout and need to boost morale. Give up that money and then try it.

Forum Member

Don't even try to complain to me about how little $$$ you get. Around here, you get paid $0 for calls and $0 for training. If you are getting anything more than that, don't complain you have low turnout and need to boost morale. Give up that money and then try it.
    You won't hear any complaints from me or the guys in my Dept. I didn't even know we got paid until i got my first check three months in.

Quote Originally Posted by iggerzonfire View Post
    You won't hear any complaints from me or the guys in my Dept. I didn't even know we got paid until i got my first check three months in.

It sounds like you guys have a real "bang-up" newcomer orientation. What else didn't they tell you????

Forum Member

Default wow

geeze.....all i am trying to say is we have a good department with a great bunch of guys. We have great attendance at our twice monthly trainings, we do take turns providing a meal before training but I don't see much correlation between the meal and training attendance. We are a paid per call and paid per training department, but the pay is minimal and once again i see no correlation between the pay and the training attendance. Of course that is just my opinion, Icould be wrong but personally I am motivated by a desire to help my community and not to let my fellow firefighters down by my lack of training.

Thread Information