MembersZone Subscriber

Default Credit/Hiring question

I was curious if Fire Depts. look into your credit, as being a big factor in hiring someone? I'm still trying to establish my credit, but have fallen behind a bit.

Thanks!

Forum Member

Default Credit

I am by no means an expert, but from what I've been told in my pursuit is credit is a big factor in your consideration with not only the fire department, but many employers in general. I signed up with Experian and for $10/month I can check my credit whenever I want.

Forum Member

Default You bet!!

As an ex-background investigator let me say this...It is one of the major concerns when doing a background on an individual. If you are in a hole financially ,going into a position of Fire Fighter ,then your not going to pass your background. When preparing for a Fire Fighter position make sure your bills are paid and up to date. Sure everyone has debts but multiple bankruptcys and large debts are a sure red flag.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Default On that note - large debts

What about student loans? I paid for my own bachelor's, so I have about 18k in debt incurred for student loans. Would that be a concern? I have never been late on payments, have never been to collections, and besides that I only have about $1400 in outside CC debt (that I pay down to 0 about once a year). Credit is at or around 700.

MembersZone Subscriber

My poor credit (at the time) flat out cost me three jobs out west.

Forum Member

Default Your o.k.

phc....Like I've said....Everyone has bills to pay. It's those who declare bankruptcy multiple times and have bad debts who are the trouble.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    As an ex-background investigator let me say this...It is one of the major concerns when doing a background on an individual. If you are in a hole financially ,going into a position of Fire Fighter ,then your not going to pass your background. When preparing for a Fire Fighter position make sure your bills are paid and up to date. Sure everyone has debts but multiple bankruptcys and large debts are a sure red flag.
    Here are my (biased) thoughts on Credit Checks for jobs. I think they are redundant, and assume too much. Here are two examples. There are two police officers (Detectives) in my local hometown who are both under administrative paid leave, because they were basically busted with their hands in the cookie jar. They had access to evidence rooms and drug $$$ and they were basically driving around in brand new Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and Corvettes, ect. and all their bills were paid, impeccable credit, yet they were stealing from the Department, and destroying the trust of the people. I hope they both land up in prison. Yet, if I apply to this same department, and it is noticed that I was late on my Sears Card in 1995, I need to fill out a Red Tape nightmare's worth of paperwork explaining why. I have been advised, by Firehouse.com forum members that I would be better off taking 2 years to pay my credit cards, auto loan, ect off and THEN apply, rather than waste time running stairs with a hose and a 50 pound pack, only to pass everything, and get a certified letter stating that my credit isnt up to par. I also find this credit check stuff vaguely discriminatory.

BUT thats just my opinion. I am a mere peon, not one who makes the rules. Bottom line, because of this, my dreams of being an EMT and helping folks must be put on hold for 2 years while I pay off an auto loan. Wow.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep. Not one bankruptcy. My bad credit was partly in thanks to a divorce and admittedly, poor habits.

Forum Member

Default Been there!!

I myself had a divorce problem during my probation. Was called into Chiefs' office and explained my situation. I got my scores back up and took care of my financial problem. Twenty six years later I retired. So it can be done.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

I will have to say that I do not agree at all with a dept using your credit score in a hiring process. I have been a firefighter for 9 years. My credit isnt perfect. This in no way affects how I do my job. I show up on time and work my butt off. There are plenty of firefighters who get hired with perfect credit and end up being bad employees. People have problems. It is a part of life. Just because someone has had money problems isnt a reason to disqualify him or her.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    Here are my (biased) thoughts on Credit Checks for jobs. I think they are redundant, and assume too much. Here are two examples. There are two police officers (Detectives) in my local hometown who are both under administrative paid leave, because they were basically busted with their hands in the cookie jar. They had access to evidence rooms and drug $$$ and they were basically driving around in brand new Harley Davidson Motorcycles, and Corvettes, ect. and all their bills were paid, impeccable credit, yet they were stealing from the Department, and destroying the trust of the people. I hope they both land up in prison. Yet, if I apply to this same department, and it is noticed that I was late on my Sears Card in 1995, I need to fill out a Red Tape nightmare's worth of paperwork explaining why. I have been advised, by Firehouse.com forum members that I would be better off taking 2 years to pay my credit cards, auto loan, ect off and THEN apply, rather than waste time running stairs with a hose and a 50 pound pack, only to pass everything, and get a certified letter stating that my credit isnt up to par. I also find this credit check stuff vaguely discriminatory.

BUT thats just my opinion. I am a mere peon, not one who makes the rules. Bottom line, because of this, my dreams of being an EMT and helping folks must be put on hold for 2 years while I pay off an auto loan. Wow.
    Your credit score will not be effected any more by a 12 year old late payment, unless you STILL have not paid it. Bad credit is not the only indicator of someone being a bad risk for the department, but it is a good one. And it is not just an indicator of if you will steal or not, it is an indicator of how responcible you will be with the everyday aspects of the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoparFyrMan1 View Post
    I will have to say that I do not agree at all with a dept using your credit score in a hiring process. I have been a firefighter for 9 years. My credit isnt perfect. This in no way affects how I do my job. I show up on time and work my butt off. There are plenty of firefighters who get hired with perfect credit and end up being bad employees. People have problems. It is a part of life. Just because someone has had money problems isnt a reason to disqualify him or her.
    No one has perfect credit. Points are deducted for having any debt at all, and they are deducted for having no debt. You are not judged on if you have money trouble, everyon has the trouble to some degree, even Bill Gates. You are judged on how you are handleing the trouble. I have never meet a really great and dependable firefighter who had bad credit, but yes I have meet a few **** poor firefighters who snuck in with good credit. It is just one of many tools used in the process.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 10-26-2007 at 08:30 AM.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    I am by no means an expert, but from what I've been told in my pursuit is credit is a big factor in your consideration with not only the fire department, but many employers in general. I signed up with Experian and for $10/month I can check my credit whenever I want.
    There is no need to pay for this service. By law, the credit bureaus must provide you a copy of your credit report once per year (unless you have extenuating circumstances described by law). You can get your free report annual at:
    https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by MoparFyrMan1 View Post
    Credit worthiness is not the only point of evaluation; just one of them. A person who cannot meet his obligations to lendors is a risk...they are a risk for poor performance (perhaps not YOU, but in general); they are risk for higher claims (insurance, injuries, etc.); they are a risk for theft or embezzlement.

Of course, people with good credit can go bad; they can be lazy; they can get hurt. But of two people are otherwise equal, a person with good credit is generally going to be less of a risk as an employee.
    My comments are sometimes educated, sometimes informed and sometimes just blowing smoke...but they are always mine and mine alone and do not reflect upon anyone else (especially my employer).

Forum Member

Default Nice Job!!

I could not have said it any more clearer then you just have.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemanjb View Post
    There is no need to pay for this service. By law, the credit bureaus must provide you a copy of your credit report once per year (unless you have extenuating circumstances described by law). You can get your free report annual at:
    https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp
    Agree to disagree. For me (and this is just my humble opinion) $10/month is a NOMINAL fee to pay to be able to monitor a critical component of my ability to get a job, a loan, a re-fi, etc...

I personally would not want to be put in a position to be caught flat footed explaining a discrepancy (like my credit going in the tank due to unknown identity theft) to a BI because it's been 10 months since I got my "free" credit report (and I'm not eligible to get another one for two months).

But that's just me.

Protective Economist

Quote Originally Posted by powerhourcoug View Post
    Agree to disagree. For me (and this is just my humble opinion) $10/month is a NOMINAL fee to pay to be able to monitor a critical component of my ability to get a job, a loan, a re-fi, etc...

I personally would not want to be put in a position to be caught flat footed explaining a discrepancy (like my credit going in the tank due to unknown identity theft) to a BI because it's been 10 months since I got my "free" credit report (and I'm not eligible to get another one for two months).

But that's just me.
    If it makes you more comfortable, by all means, it's worthwhile. However, each agency has to give you one report per year. If you ask for one in February, one in June and one in October, you get all three an monitor your credit every four months.

I'm just pointing out that you don't HAVE to pay for the monitoring service.

Thread Information