Question Does anyone know if......

I live in TN but volunteeer at a KY volunteer fire department? I have the honor of living on the state line and the KY department that I volunteer at just happens to be the closest one for me to be able to volunteer at. I am just trying to find out if the law covers me in this instance. Any ideas?

Forum Member

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking here, the law covering you as far as what? If you mean the krs laws pertaining to volunteer firefighters, then yes you would be covered because you are a volunteer firefighter on a Ky dept. But those laws will only cover you in ky. Such as the one pertaining to a volunteer cannot lose thier job for being late for work if they have been on a call but can just be docked in pay for it. That would only apply if you were employed in Ky. Or the KRS pertaining to being able to run lights and siren. If Tenn doesnt have a law saying you can run lights and siren then you wouldnt be covered by KY law to run your lights and siren in tenn. Unless your department has a mutual aid agreement with the dept in tenn then in some instances it is overlooked. like where I am, we are on the Ky WV border and run mutual aid with a dept just across the line. We even have people that live there that are on our dept and they have the same. The local law enforcement overlooks if our members are running lights through their district to get to ours or vise versus.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

What I am trying to ask is since I live and work in TN, would the TN law againt unfair firing of volunteer firefighters would apply since i volunteer at a ky fire dept and not a TN one. I live on the TN/KY stateline. I apologize if i wasnt clear enough. thanks for any responses that i have gotten and may get on this question.

Thread Information