Forum Member

Exclamation Fire Prevention Guidance released...

Looks like Fire Prevention opens on the 22nd. The guidance is posted on the AFG site. We are a small volunteer department and I am wanting to know what similar departments have done in the past with Fire Prevention. We know we want to put a more indepth program together for the school, but don't know where to begin. Anybody got ideas?

Forum Member

We received our first FP grant last year. Town Population 5,500

We received $60,000 to purchase 1000 smoke detectors w/10 yr batteries and 500 CO detectors.

We did a survey of smoke detector/CO ownership rates and we are working a plan to install them in the most at risk homes. We are using local non-profit agencies to get the word out and find people.

Year before we used a small grant from the State Fire Chiefs Association to buy a education program called Risk Watch from NFPA. We base our school programs around it. It has been well received and our community is excited.

We are applying again this year. We have been surveying local businesses to identify a FP need for them. We think we have a good plan and the documentation to back it up.

I tried a couple times for FP in the past and was turned down. I reread the documentation and realized we hadn't done anything to prove the need and shown how we would document improvement. That's when I broke out my old college Statistics books and started looking at designing and proving out surveys.

It's not really difficult, but it makes all the difference.

Also, make sure you are talking to other organizations in your community about how they can be part of your program. Then in your narrative talk about how these community partnerships will make your program more effective.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our department received a FP grant a few years back for smoke detectors and batteries. Has anyone just tried for CO detectors? I was thinking about running the same type of program for CO detectors but was interested to know if anyone has had any success in asking for CO detectors alone.

RsnFyr77@comcast.net

MembersZone Subscriber

safety of the public and firefighters from fire and related hazards

Smoke det are great passive tool but several other programs available that work that. I'm interested in project examples focused on firefighter safety or even focused on the public but are more active (residential sprinklers for example).

Forum Member

We will be submitting for a fire sprinkler education trailer. Has a small "classroom" area and a separate partition with a small fire and sprinkler heads. Shows the value of sprinklers in a home.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Is there a maximum allowable amount for smoke detectors, CO detectors or combination units?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Yes, but not sure what it is. I've seen up to $50 for combination units with the lithium 9V batteries. I highly recommend the lithiums, no need for the resident to do anything but test the unit to make sure it works.

MembersZone Subscriber

So has anyone just done a CO detector program? I already was awarded a smoke detector program so combination units would be redundant. I found a few prices for CO detectors a Grainger for 35.75 and 41.75. One unit uses 3 AAA/no plug in and another is a plug in with no battery back up. Any suggestions on if this is an acceptable program and/or what direction you would go with the type of power.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by wtfd2940 View Post
    So has anyone just done a CO detector program? I already was awarded a smoke detector program so combination units would be redundant. I found a few prices for CO detectors a Grainger for 35.75 and 41.75. One unit uses 3 AAA/no plug in and another is a plug in with no battery back up. Any suggestions on if this is an acceptable program and/or what direction you would go with the type of power.
    I haven't done a CO program, but I do have some input on your power source. During our ice storm in January, we had numerous CO calls for people running generators in the garage and the exhaust leaking into the house. There were a few deaths in there, as well.

We found several homes that had electric CO detectors. However, when you've got power out for 10+ days, they don't do a lick of good. Personally, I'd go with the electric with battery back-up.

Forum Member

Default Fire Prevention and CPR Instruction

Needing info to see if I am not out of line. This will be my first fire prevention grant and have glanced over the guidance. We have a very large Amish Residence in our area and county. I am looking into a fire prevention trailer and tow vehicle to help instruct our amish residence. Also implementing in this plan is CPR instruction for the amish community. I am wondering if this sounds possible, anyone have prices on trailers, and would this be a regional project or can our department do this alone? Any info will help

FH Mag/.com Contributor

CPR instruction would be feasible as a regional effort, meaning train-the-trainer so that more than one department's personnel are providing the services to the community. Safety trailer would have to be an application from a regional entity like fire marshal's office or FF's association in order to have a leg to stand on that it's a regional effort.

Forum Member

Default trailer

So can just one department alone, without regional project, be awarded the trailer. We have enough Amish in our own jurisdiction to justify.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

You can. Might not be very likely depending on the numbers, but it's possible.

Forum Member

Default grant writer

79er, are you a grant writer? I would like to discuss further with someone if possible. If you have a contact # I would appreciate it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    , no need for the resident to do anything but test the unit to make sure it works.

I did one of those tests last night. I was using my grill pan for my stove top, making boneless chicken breast. I am happy to report that my smoke detector works fine and dinner was awesome.(even had the smoke effect going while I ate dinner...)

now back to lurking......

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Blackened chicken there Sherry?

jasnic, brianv@firegraphics.org is the email. Grant writer among other things.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasnic0510 View Post
    So can just one department alone, without regional project, be awarded the trailer. We have enough Amish in our own jurisdiction to justify.
    How are you going to instruct the Amish with a modern FP trailer when they can't use any of the items the trailer is designed to instruct about, ie; dialing 911, smoke detectors, alarms, electric stoves etc.? You woudl also have to have special text books that do not use photos as they can only have drawings or illustrations?Pretty difficult to teach modern FP when they shun modern improvements and live without electricity etc.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you who have already done smoke detector, safety trailers etc. and are looking for something new to try, I have a new FP program that I will share that has already been proven to be a fundable project last year. Those interested contact me offline ( check profile).
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Power supply--one of Kurt's awards this year had an offer for an INCREASED award amount so lithium ion batteries could be distributed with her project. That should speak to the preferred power. I'd also agree with Catch22 on not using electric-only, most of our country could have that need due to the variety of natural disasters we face. Being self-sufficient for 3 to 5 days tends to increase risk.

Regarding Kurt's new idea--the feedback has been very positive so far, and early in our distribution phase people are listening.

Superchef's testing method--from what i've heard, we should all be willing to stop by her kitchen to "supervise" her testing!!

earl

Forum Member

Read through guidance (more like skimmed), if you have recieved or just applied for the AFG grant are you still eligible?

MembersZone Subscriber

I have served on the FP peer review for the past few years. Last year we actually recommended Lithium Battery detector with 9 volt battery backup seems to have been the standard, seems the majority of reviewers seemed to lean that way. Also several reviewers had issues on the combination smoke and CO detectors; they preferred them to be 2 separate units. I think the concern was having the CO fail and emit an alarm, what will they do? Unplug it was seemed to be the consensus.

Just a heads up to give you some insight to the way the reviews go.

ALSO I cannot express this enough...... PLEASE FOLLOW THE FORMAT SUGGESTED ABOVE THE NARRATIVE SECTION........ The grants flow better when scoring and makes it easier for the reviewer to score.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Note- Sorry about the CO-CO2 mixup, Had been to the dentist and was still screwed up i guess. Thanks for the catch.
    Last edited by steverfd; 10-18-2007 at 01:47 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    How are you going to instruct the Amish with a modern FP trailer when they can't use any of the items the trailer is designed to instruct about, ie; dialing 911, smoke detectors, alarms, electric stoves etc.? You woudl also have to have special text books that do not use photos as they can only have drawings or illustrations?Pretty difficult to teach modern FP when they shun modern improvements and live without electricity etc.
    Actually not a bad concept. Have a large Amish community abuot 10mi from us (mutual aid). Called out for a house fire Jan 06 (-18F). Mom/Dad and 18kids. They had put up a smoke det less than 1wk before.

LOTS of Amish sects and each area/sect has different "rules/regulations". To complicated for me. But in our area. Ever young Amish man has a cell phone (perhaps the girls also). The local non Amish farmers have banks of charges in their barns that they rent out to charge batteries = std rural 911 call problem of where is phone (no GPS equipment in our area). They wil use battery devices (smoke det, I assume CO2 det which would be good idea).

Stoves?? Think of the 1910 issue of wood stoves, wood heaters/boilers and kerosene lamps as ignition source.

They go to school thru 8th grade can read and write. Many very sharp businessmen so I'm guessing math.

My 1st thought of this guy's trailer/tow rig project was how many horses does he need? Big trailer is going to need at least 8 Percherons. And they better be nice looking good quality stock or they be dissin you. Maintenance is a bear what with all that hay, corn, shoeing, grooming, etc. You think it's hard to get vol. to go fuel the trucks? Nothing comes out the rear end of a pumper except water and hose. Maybe add a nice old steamer with 3 horses and a dalmation too.

MembersZone Subscriber

How about successful project oriented on improving FF safety?

MembersZone Subscriber

CO = Carbon Monoxide

CO2 = Carbon Dioxide

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    How about successful project oriented on improving FF safety?
    Pretty much limited to schools and major organizations, hard to convince that a single department will run a successful and scientific research project that can affect a larger sector of the fire service.

Thread Information