Forum Member

Question From L.E. to W.F.F @ 43, is it possible ?

Good morning Gentlemen,

I have been lurking for quite sometime & I thought it was time to say hello.
    And I have a question ... right out of the gate.

Is 43 too old to start a career as a Wildland Firefighter?

I'm a Law Enforcement Office for the State of Florida. I will be locating to north Alabama & afterwards and thinking of changing careers to that of Wildland firefighter. If I may add, this is something I've thinking about for years, And now the opprotunity presents itself but .... have I waited too long?

For the record, I'm in pretty good condition & engage in a daily workout routine to keep me in shape for my current L.E. career. I'm no where near ready to retire & there's alot of work left in me. I've spent alot of time over the years camping & hiking. And I guess I have a what some would call a passion for the presevation of the woodlands. And I'd like to get a chance to "get on line" and help as much as I can...as backbreaking as it maybe.
    Any thoughts & opinions are welcome, your guys are the pro's so let me know what your think.
    Also, any info & links would be welcomed as well.

First I have been on the line next to people much older than you, that being said I think it really depends on wether you are talking about being on a hand crew or a type 6 etc. Also there is a big difference between a type 1 and a type 2 handcrew. The most rigorous would be a type 1 handcrew which if you are in good shape you should be able to handle. I have had 10 mile hikes in with bladder bags (45lbs) and my gear, work a 10 hour shift then hike out, I think you know more than anyone if you can handle it, Dont let age be a factor. Good luck whatever you do!
    myherostockingco.com

Forum Member

welcome to the site.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Default Too Old?

That depends. Are you "stayed in the game" old or "watched the game from the armchair old". If you're reasonably fit with no cardio probs, you should be golden. I decided I wanted to be a Firefighter, and I did it! I'm 46, by the way. Retired Military. Go do it, bro

Thread Information