+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Exclamation I see it but I DONT believe it ! WTF ??

Beer in Minnesota Fire Station Gets Approval
    Updated: 10-17-2007 01:48:15 PM

NEW ULM, Minn.-- New Ulm's volunteer firefighters now can kick back and pop the top on a brewsky after a fire call or other related functions inside Fire Station buildings as a result of City Council action Tuesday.

The New Ulm Fire Department's request was approved on a 4-1 vote, with Councilor Sharon Weinkauf voting no. The affirmative vote also overrode concerns raised by Assistant City Attorney Roger Hippert who said allowing the firefighters to drink alcoholic beverages essentially on the job raised "some serious concerns about liability."

Hippert quoted from a League of Minnesota Cities publication, which listed a number of issues involved in allowing drinking in the fire station.

"I think there are some legitimate causes for concern like [operating equipment] while impaired and who is going to determine when a firefighter is impaired," Hippert said.

"The official stance of the department is that the individual is the best judge of when you're obviously intoxicated," said Scott Windschitl, president of the New Ulm Fire Department Relief Association.

In introducing the agenda item, Council President Dan Beranek said the issue could be argued both ways but, in the end, "I feel these [firefighters] who put themselves at risk in fighting fires are responsible enough to know when they've had too much. To me, the pluses outweigh the minuses."

"They're really leaving it up to the individual to determine, and the council could impose some restrictions," City Manager Brian Gramentz suggested.

"That's one of my main concerns that there are no limitations, and who decides when a fireman is impaired," Hippert said.

Mayor Joel Albrecht said he agreed with Beranek that New Ulm firefighters are "very responsible and should be able to enjoy one beer when they're through."

"What do you mean, one beer?" Weinkauf asked.

"Yes, one beer. I've been to several fire department functions, and that's all I've seen them drink," Albrecht said.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

woooooooooooooooooooow

While I happen to agree that one beer doesn't make you drunk or intoxicated, and do like having a bar in a firehouse FOR SOCIAL EVENTS ONLY, I have to say allowing them to have beer so they can have a cold brew after a call is just plain
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

on the job? Volunteering means you can choose which alarms to respond to, so after drinking you dont respond. What is so hard to understand?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm guessing that they will have "designated firefighters".
    Some will drink, but will not respond. The "designated" firefighters will do that!
    Talk about going full circle.
    Apparently, New Ulm doesn't know or forgot about PSOBs and the presence of ANY alcohol or drugs in your system at the time of your LODD.
    It's a wacky world, for sure.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    Beer in Minnesota Fire Station Gets Approval
    Updated: 10-17-2007 01:48:15 PM

NEW ULM, Minn.-- New Ulm's volunteer firefighters now can kick back and pop the top on a brewsky after a fire call or other related functions inside Fire Station buildings as a result of City Council action Tuesday.

The New Ulm Fire Department's request was approved on a 4-1 vote, with Councilor Sharon Weinkauf voting no. The affirmative vote also overrode concerns raised by Assistant City Attorney Roger Hippert who said allowing the firefighters to drink alcoholic beverages essentially on the job raised "some serious concerns about liability."
    Hurray Sharon Weinkauf!!!

"The official stance of the department is that the individual is the best judge of when you're obviously intoxicated," said Scott Windschitl, president of the New Ulm Fire Department Relief Association.
    He apparently has never been in a bar or has been locked in his mothers closet for sometime!

In introducing the agenda item, Council President Dan Beranek said the issue could be argued both ways but, in the end, "I feel these [firefighters] who put themselves at risk in fighting fires are responsible enough to know when they've had too much. To me, the pluses outweigh the minuses."
    Dan has never been to a Appreciation night in his life to say something so dumb.

1.)"They're really leaving it up to the individual to determine, and the council could impose some restrictions," City Manager Brian Gramentz suggested.
    "That's one of my main concerns that there are no limitations, and who decides when a fireman is impaired," Hippert said.
    Hopefully the individual is smart enough not to get on fire apparatus while intoxicated. But the Fire Company should imposing the restrictions and consequences for this. (then again)

"Yes, one beer. I've been to several fire department functions, and that's all I've seen them drink," Albrecht said.
    Someone is a d*mned liar...
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

Wow. Could we be witnessing a return to less sophisticated times? Might we one day find ourselves enjoying the same firehouse lifestyle that the legends our grandfathers talked of enjoyed many years ago? - to a time where political incorrectness was the rule of law and men were made of steel?

Naaahhh.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

MembersZone Subscriber

OK, tell the cops to go home. No more spot checks required. Same for the liquor inspectors. And of course the Bouncer's can turn in their t-shirts too.

The individual is more than adequate to judge his or her own intoxication.

Well most departments around here still allow beer, but it is trending the other way. We have been dry for over a year (very limited annual events aside), as are two of our regional sister stations. I didn't, nor don't see my guys running for the door.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Early Adopter

So, they have a beer after a run... Okay.

Then the second run comes in while their enjoying their beer.

What happens now, Mr. Mayor?

Forum Member

What happens now, Mr. Mayor?
    Relax...it's under control. There's a second resolution before council seeking approval for the installation of multiple cup holders in all the rigs.

Idiots.

Forum Member

Can we say stupidity?
    Can we spell liability?
    How many times do we have to prove that alcohol (Beer included) has no place in a fire station. There is a time and a place for a beer, but the firehouse should not be one of them.
    Last edited by kjohn23; 10-17-2007 at 10:16 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why is it that I can see this quote posted in 3 foot letters in the courtroom during the trial when the FD is getting sued for a FF DUI crash?

Besides, this "stance" has always worked so well in the past.

Banned

It's a local issue. Just because it won't work in your department doesn't mean it won't work there!!! Besides, it's tradition .

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    on the job? Volunteering means you can choose which alarms to respond to, so after drinking you dont respond. What is so hard to understand?

The fact that you would have to monitor how many people are actually drinking to make sure that when the Box comes in, which will eventually happen, that you don't have half your crew not able to participate. Furthermore, you know that people are going to go to the box impaired, the adrenaline will sober them up immediately (in their head).

This scares me.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hazmat91180 View Post
    The fact that you would have to monitor how many people are actually drinking to make sure that when the Box comes in, which will eventually happen, that you don't have half your crew not able to participate. Furthermore, you know that people are going to go to the box impaired, the adrenaline will sober them up immediately (in their head).

This scares me.
    That happens whether they are in the firehouse, local gin mill on Friday night, or just at home. I guess if they are all in one place you can at least make sure you have 3 or 4 guys to respond.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    I have to agree with you on this one. People are forgetting its VOLUNTEER. Many VOLUNTEER FD have alcohol is there stations and as responsible adults should know that if you drink then you don't respond or you suffer the same consequences as anyone else.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

I have to agree with you on this one. People are forgetting its VOLUNTEER.
    I don't think anyone is forgetting it's "VOLUNTEER." Anytime this stupidity comes up, it's usually quite obvious.
    Many VOLUNTEER FD have alcohol is there stations and as responsible adults should know that if you drink then you don't respond or you suffer the same consequences as anyone else.
    I beg to differ. It's usually some innocent that suffers the consequences. One's ability to think responsibly begins to diminish the instant alcohol hits the blood stream.

Forum Member

These ought to sell like hotcakes...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    I don't think anyone is forgetting it's "VOLUNTEER." Anytime this stupidity comes up, it's usually quite obvious.

I beg to differ. It's usually some innocent that suffers the consequences. One's ability to think responsibly begins to diminish the instant alcohol hits the blood stream.

We had a policy. Alcohol is drank you don't respond. Its pretty simple if you ask me.

I guess your just not mature enough to make that decision huh Nozz?
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF View Post
    I have to agree with you on this one. People are forgetting its VOLUNTEER. Many VOLUNTEER FD have alcohol is there stations and as responsible adults should know that if you drink then you don't respond or you suffer the same consequences as anyone else.
    Yes but you usually read about things going the other way and enforcing/enacting a no alcohol policy. This is bass ackward from the norm. And you know why people are enacting no alcohol policies-probrably because people were not making reasonable decisions after impaired with alcohol. If it was as well as you are suggesting, people wouldn't be changing to no alcohol policies in the station.
    Last edited by masterFF; 10-18-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Forum Member

I guess your just not mature enough to make that decision huh Nozz?
    And I guess you're just too stupid to realize that people drinking alcohol lose their ability to make mature decisions, huh? And they don't respond to calls after having "one or two"? Please. We all know better than that, don't we?

Drinking alcohol in a fire station...and some volunteers wonder why they don't get any damned respect from the professionals. Pitiful. You guys are real leaders in the profession.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Everybody please take five steps backward.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

makes good girls go bad

One step forward, 5 steps backwards.

Other then social events, where the drinking parties are NOT allowed to respond, no matter if its a BS AFA, or a confirmed structure fire with entrapments, no alcohol is in the station.

This is ANOTHER black eye for the fire service, and makes us professional volunteers look like moronic wackers.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEMVFD View Post
    Everybody please take five steps backward.
    Is that the new sobriety test to see if you're too drunk to get on the rig?

If there is going to be alcohol at the fire house, the fire company better have very very strict enforcement of a no-response policy. If you're drinking your helmet gets locked behind the bar, or whatever. I think "They'll know if they're too drunk" is just asinine. The quote about enjoying a few after a call is worse.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Uhhhh, wow.

Call me crazy, but any employer I've ever worked for has the rule that I am not allowed to drink while on the job. This would include dishwasher (where I certainly could've used a few ), warehouse worker, boxboy, live television production, financial planner......and in those jobs I wasn't operating $500,000 worth of apparatus, working in dangerous environments and trying to save people's lives where quick action and critical thinking was required.

For cripe's sake, McDonald's employees are not allowed to drink on the job...even just "one."

makes good girls go bad

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jwarne2001 View Post
    Uhhhh, wow.

Call me crazy, but any employer I've ever worked for has the rule that I am not allowed to drink while on the job. This would include dishwasher (where I certainly could've used a few ), warehouse worker, boxboy, live television production, financial planner......and in those jobs I wasn't operating $500,000 worth of apparatus, working in dangerous environments and trying to save people's lives where quick action and critical thinking was required.

For cripe's sake, McDonald's employees are not allowed to drink on the job...even just "one."
    Best analogy I have heard yet!

We won't allow Mickey Dees workers to drink, but the Firemen ARE allowed to?!?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread Information