Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glove Help

Default Glove Help

My Department is looking for Fire Glove Information. We are looking at the Protech 8 vs the MP Super Glove. Can anyone give some feedback

Forum Member

Go test both. youll see the Pro-tech is superior to the MP garbage. I would never trust a company that feels it needs to slander another to make itself look better.

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I wouldn't even waste my time with the "super" glove. Tried both, and the Pro-Techs are the cream of the crop!
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Try the Fireman's Shield gloves , they are pretty good gloves too.

Dare I throw the Chiba Flame Fighter into the mix? I feel it is the most under-reviewed glove available, which is ultra light, water proof, has excellent dexterity, and are down right comfortable. I believe they list for $100 or so.
    Chiba Gloves

Forum Member

Curbside:

We have had good reviews on both gloves. I have been wearing the PT8 at work and really like them. They have held up well and are lightweight and very flexible. As FYI, about 85%-90% of all of our gloves sold in the last year have been PT8's.

An all leather glove will be more durable overall, but most people are willing to trade that for decreased weight and increased flexibility.

Stay tuned, I am sure that more people will chime in with their favorites.

Stay safe,

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1137 View Post
    Dare I throw the Chiba Flame Fighter into the mix? I feel it is the most under-reviewed glove available, which is ultra light, water proof, has excellent dexterity, and are down right comfortable. I believe they list for $100 or so.
    Chiba Gloves
    X2 with the Chibas. I think they have better dexterity then the PT8s, and are easier to get on. The price tag is a bit of a deterrant, but try a pair, you will NOT be dissapointed.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Go test both. youll see the Pro-tech is superior to the MP garbage. I would never trust a company that feels it needs to slander another to make itself look better.
    Well said. Whenever you see total fire group bad mouthing a competing product, go buy it right away ! They've done that to all of the best products out there. The Protechs, the Globe boots, the Airboss boots, etc.

Our guys love the protechs. Tried the super glove, it doesn't come close.

Stay safe.

Forum Member

PT8's are the way to go. Ive had them for about 4 months...amazing they feel great and fit awesome!!!

Forum Member

I bought a pair of the PT8's and like them a lot, except: They are still hard to get on and off when your hands get sweaty. I've found that if I put on some latex or nitrile gloves first, it makes it much easier to get the gloves on and off. But then you have to deal with "prune" hands. I am in the process of a trial for the "Super Glove" for the department. They are definitely bulkier and have less dexterity than the Protechs, though they are still a big improvement over normal fire gloves. They seem to go on and off easier than the Protechs, though I've just started the trial and haven't used them in a working strucure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ack8236 View Post
    I've found that if I put on some latex or nitrile gloves first, it makes it much easier to get the gloves on and off.
    And if you get into a high heat enviro, then the med glove melts to your hand. NOT a smart idea, bro!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Thumbs up

I've had my PT8's for a couple of months now. LOVE THEM!! can't say anything that I haven't said before in other threads. Don't waste time with the other glove. PT8's are definitely the future of gloves to come.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

The Glove Corp has a new glove on the market that is very nice. Its called the Blaze Fighter. I tried on a pair at our Summer fire school in Sept and was very impressed. It is their answer to the PT8 and I thought they were more comfortable than the PT8. One thing I liked about them was the fact that the liner was bonded to the other layers instead of taped at the fingers like other gloves. It is supposed to completly eliminate the liner pulling out of your glove. This is the only link I could dig up on these......
    http://www.ajstone.com/index.php?opt...101&Itemid=182
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

I love the pro-tech 8 glove, except for it's durability. It's a very comfortable glove, with very good dexterity. My only problem with them is they don't last all that well.
    Because of that, I'm more of a fan of the Shelby.

I buy my own gloves, because what I'm issued is sh@t, for now. I actually have three pairs of gloves that I use on a rotation. I have two pairs of Shelby, and one pair of pro-tech 8. I work on a jaws company, and the pro-techs are very good for using with the tools. Both gloves are somewhat close in price, and I work with a guy who's company sell both styles. Either glove is great for firefighting; I have never worn the other gloves guys are talking about.

For straight up cost and durability, Shelby gets my nod. If you don't mind buying another set of gloves a bit quicker, the Pro-Techs are the way to go. You lose a bit of dexterity with Shelby, but you buy more gloves with Pro-Tech.

Forum Member

I have the Titans, they are awesome.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    I have the Titans, they are awesome.
    know where to find info on em jonny?

MembersZone Subscriber

The fact that the liner of the protechs is polyester worries me a bit, otherwise they sound great.

Forum Member

Default definatly the pros

I had the chance to try the super glove at the firehouse expo and our dept is currently switching to the protech 8s. I personally use the chiba flame fighters and wouldnt trade them for anything i love the large cuff makes it 100 times easier to get on especially with the thumbhole jacket cuffs. Back to the other two tho if those are your two choices definatly the protechs they have way more dexterity and all in all feel great. I reallly did not like the super glove i just felt it was a glorified regular old leather glove yeah its a little bit better but not that much still really bulky wouldn't reccomend if you also do extrication. The only thing i didnt like about the protechs was they almost feel too good its hard to believe somtin that feels as easy to use as it is would be rated for fire use i havent used them so i couldnt tell you how they react to fire but everyone else has said there great.

Default Chelsea120

The Protech 8 was de-listed so I would stay away from it. The Super glove is where you should be. I think it is available in Cadet sizes as well. It's also a 3D glove.

Thread Information