Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Safety is a joke

Here is a good example of why we kill thousands more people each year as a result of fire than other industrialized nations. That reason is: fire safety is a joke. A total joke. Beavis and Butthead. Fire Marshal Bill. Now, Conan O'Brien.

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=6874

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

The first time in 14 years he's heard the sound?

Apparently the "Talent" aren't required to be around for the Code required Fire Drills.

Is this an out-take, or was it actually aired?
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

None of us know the fire safety procedure for this building. Should a whole high rise evacuate for an alarm on one floor ? Highly unlikely. He is not a fire inspector or even probably has any fire knowledge. Blame fire educators for lack of education.

Here is the thread on when Fox News had a similar situation.....

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...light=fox+news
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BFDNJFF View Post
    None of us know the fire safety procedure for this building. Should a whole high rise evacuate for an alarm on one floor ? Highly unlikely. He is not a fire inspector or even probably has any fire knowledge. Blame fire educators for lack of education.

Here is the thread on when Fox News had a similar situation.....

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...light=fox+news
    Your point is completely irrelevant. He made a joke out of the fact that a fire alarm was sounding. I partly blame ignorance of the media and of morons like this for the fact that people ignore fire alarms in the first place. I also blame the US fire service as a whole.

Does your FD tolerate the people in the building ignoring the alarms because they aren't fire inspectors? You have to admit, that was an idiotic statement.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

It's not about the lack of evacuation, of course many commercial buildings do not automatically evacuate.

It's about the sending the message that the alarm is a "Nuisance", and should be ignored, or "Ripped out of the wall".

The host (Conan) is an employee of the company, and should have known exactly what the alarm was, and given appropriate instruction to the crowd.

A little levity is fine, as are a few jokes while waiting for final instruction, but the message is not comedy.

Lets say for sake of arguement that there was a fire, and the instructions were ignored at risk or injury to any member of the public audience. Who do you think would be sued and possibly charged for the results.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Your point is completely irrelevant. He made a joke out of the fact that a fire alarm was sounding. I partly blame ignorance of the media and of morons like this for the fact that people ignore fire alarms in the first place. I also blame the US fire service as a whole.

Does your FD tolerate the people in the building ignoring the alarms because they aren't fire inspectors? You have to admit, that was an idiotic statement.

He is a comedian. Or did we all forget about that?
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

Forum Member

Vaudeville comedian Eddie Foy ran to the footlights and tried to calm the crowd. "Everything is under control," he said just as a mass of burning debris fell at his feet at the The Iroquois Theatre.The Iroquois fire 602 casualties.

Conan O'Brien lack of concern for his fans was shameful.Their was no need to panic but to laugh and turn a fire alarm into a joke just shows a complete lack of concern for others.I bet Eddie Foy would have loved to had some early warning.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

usually when people hear a fire alarm,they go outside the building,no?i really hope they go outside!!!
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

2 french mottoes in french fire service.

Forum Member

Come to NYC where the Companies in Mid-town go to about 3000 class 3 alarms a year. No one even flinches. Its not from lack of education, its from complacency.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Come to NYC where the Companies in Mid-town go to about 3000 class 3 alarms a year. No one even flinches. Its not from lack of education, its from complacency.
    i know that false alarms are waste of time but who knows,one day,it will be fire alarm and then real fire.....and then, people will think:nah,just nothing.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

MembersZone Subscriber

He also has an obligation to be responsible. Mocking the fire alarm sends a poor message-no matter which way you want to spin it. And as a member of the fire service, you should be concerned about the lack of attention people pay to fire alarms.

BTW< nice way to avoid my question.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Of course it is. You're right. And why? Because of morons in the entertainment and media who create the attitude that it is ALWAYS a false alarm.

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Not arguing that Obrien's reaction was wrong, he should have taken it more seriously, but it just underscores that everyone gets complacent to alarm system activations: tenants and firefighters. That's mainly due to the overwhelming number of false alarms that occur with these systems. I don't know what the statistics are, but it has to be less than 1% is legitimate.
    Some of the onus is on the manufacturers, contractors..etc. If their systems were so prone to false alarms then complacency wouldn't be as big an issue.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

I just spent a shift at a retirement facility and they called a drill. Most of the residents continued with their activities and even the staff only made a half-*****ed effort at getting people outside. So dangerous an attitude!

Does your FD tolerate the people in the building ignoring the alarms because they aren't fire inspectors?
    I wasn't avoiding this question George. I beleived you were being sarcastic.

It depends on the situation. We also have no structures over 10 floors. I do not know there policy on how things are done where this took place. If you noticed there was a fire warden who came on and instructed them to what was going on. Obviously if there was a real situation real action would have been taken. My guess is he followed the procedure they are supposed to follow. Unless you just enjoy pandemonium and want a high rise evacuating into the streets. Thats a sure way of making a minor situation into something major.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

Forum Member

Is that what he's supposed to be?I find so little of his material to be funny.
    Anyway,is there anyone with more experience than me who has NOT heard someone saying that they delayed getting out of a house when the smoke alarm went off because so many times it was "only food on the stove being burnt beyond recognition by Mom again"?
    If the alarm goes off,you should start looking for an exit.Someone posted that he doesn't look for the one near the front of the building because that's where everyone else will be stampeding for and ripping each other's hair and arms out to evacuate.

Last edited by doughesson; 10-19-2007 at 12:40 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I wasn't avoiding this question George. I beleived you were being sarcastic.

It depends on the situation. We also have no structures over 10 floors. I do not know there policy on how things are done where this took place. If you noticed there was a fire warden who came on and instructed them to what was going on. Obviously if there was a real situation real action would have been taken. My guess is he followed the procedure they are supposed to follow. Unless you just enjoy pandemonium and want a high rise evacuating into the streets. Thats a sure way of making a minor situation into something major.
    That's not an answer to my question. Try again.

So your telling me that the official Rockefeller Center policy is to get up in front of the audience and tell jokes while the fire alarm goes off?

Why don't you give up? You are arguing an untenable position.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    That's not an answer to my question. Try again.

So your telling me that the official Rockefeller Center policy is to get up in front of the audience and tell jokes while the fire alarm goes off?

Why don't you give up? You are arguing an untenable position.
    Yes I think I answered your question George. What would you like him to do ? Maybe you should go there and correct the problem. What I stated is my opinion. You don't have to like it or agree with it. I will not lose any sleep either way. None of us know there procedures. Maybe he should have jumped up and made the people crazy. If you had it your way then I am sure you would have. I think people need to sometimes step outside the box and think as a non fire service person once in awhile.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

Yes I think I answered your question George. What would you like him to do ? Maybe you should go there and correct the problem. What I stated is my opinion. You don't have to like it or agree with it. I will not lose any sleep either way. None of us know there procedures. Maybe he should have jumped up and made the people crazy. If you had it your way then I am sure you would have. I think people need to sometimes step outside the box and think as a non fire service person once in awhile.
    well,i'm not firefighter,just civilian but when i'm in a building and i hear the fire alarm,i go outside,just a way of thinking.ok i grew up among POC firefighters.

but no offense to you and your post,just i wanted to write my point of view and way of thinking.
    "sauver ou périr"

"courage et dévouement"

MembersZone Subscriber

So the only two options are tell jokes or panic? What about being a responsible adult and standing up and telling people that the sound they are hearing is a fire alarm and that, while the situation is being confirmed, they should gather their belongings and prepare for further instructions? No panic. No joke.

Approximately how much time do you have between an alarm activation and conditions when it is impossible to escape? Approximately how much time do you have following an alarm activation to give cogent instructions before people begin to panic? Approximately how much time does it take to exit a building such as this building in Rockefeller Center?

There is no need for me to go there. There are very stringent laws in NYC governing life safety in high rises. It would not have mattered who was there trying to talk some sense into that idiot. (Did you notice the concern on the producer's face and how ****ed he was that O'Brien was making fun of him?). He was not going to evacuate and was intent to use the moment as a comedic interlude.

Since you won't answer my question, I can only assume that your FD does not require people to evacuate a building upon the activation of a fire alarm. That would be a great policy. I hope it is in writing to make it easier for the civil lawsuit to proceed.

Thread Information