View Poll Results: Required to have FFII?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 46.15%
  • No

14 53.85%
    Forum Member

Default Does your FD or FPD require FFII?

Just wondering if your FD or FPD requires you to obtain Illinois OSFM FFII certification. I know there is no state req. to have it. Along with that I would also appreciate other info. Also do any depts. require something beyond that as well? Hazmat Ops? FFIII? etc. Ill use my FPD as an example...

FFII not currently required.

Combination FPD
    1 Chief, 14 Full Time, 20-25 Paid on Call
    1500 fire and ems calls/yr
    40+ square miles
    18,000 pop.
    2 stations

Really appreciate the responses. Thank you!
    Last edited by GFPD2005; 10-18-2007 at 07:29 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

FFII and IL Paramedic required.

Mt. Vernon IL
    27 full time
    4 stations
    approx 16,000 live in population, much higher daytime and weekend.

There are more requirements to work here, but those are the 2 big ones. And there are obviously more requirements for officers, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
    DJ

IAFF L738
    www.iafflocal738.org

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't require the certification yet, but the newbies must go through the entire classroom and practical portion of FFII. Everyone on the department has been through the FFII program at a minimum. They are all strongly encouraged to get their certificate, however. If things work out I would see a FFII requirement coming... Sadly, we have some people that don't test well, so I don't know that they'll ever make FFII - but they are competent folks.

As an aside, First Responder is mandatory, we'll pay for EMT-B. We have an ALS contract box in house, but we don't run any higher than a B level for the department's level of care. I'd say we have 20 B level folks either licensed or in class right now.

Paid chief, 50 or so "reimbursed" volunteers. Don't get me started on that.

1400 calls a year
    3 stations
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber
    finally getting ready to start the new station

We don't require FFII cert yet either, although the day is coming soon. Right now, we require any additions to the dept take either FFII or EMT-B, their choice, within their first year of membership. The District is not requiring those people to pass the class. I go along with Joel, we have some pretty sharp guys on the dept that dont do well on a test, but they know their stuff.
    Right now we are all volunteer ($1.50hr for fire call, Ambo call straight up $10.00). BLS ambulance 2 stations 39 firemen-13 of which are EMT and 2 non-fire EMTs. 110 calls pop 1700 89sq miles.
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

Forum Member

Thank you for the responses. Please keep them coming if possible!

MembersZone Subscriber

All new hires go to the CT Fire Academy recruit class and graduate with both FFI and FFII certifications.

The union contract has four pay grades for fire fighters:
    Step 1 FFI
    Step 2 FFII
    Step 3 Pump or Aerial operator certification
    Step 4 Pump or Aerial operator certification

Each step is worth about $50 a week. The last dozen FF's we hired went to step 4 within 6 to 8 months.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Let me help DJ out. FF's must have FFII, VMO, TRA (obviously), Haz-mat Awareness (obviously part II), CPR instructor, and Paramedic. Officers must get FO I, Haz-mat Tech, FAE. I think that's it. If you go to one of the management offices you must get Fire Instructor II.

We're turning the page on our department, I believe the youth movement is bringing positive changes. Our Local is becoming increasingly active....now if the call volume would do the same, that would be great!!!!

Forum Member

What is the call volume for Mount Vernon if I may ask?

MembersZone Subscriber

somewhere around 2400/year. Fire and EMS
    DJ

IAFF L738
    www.iafflocal738.org

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

We don't require it, but half of our department is trained to at least FFII.
    Trying to get the others interested.
    On-line is the way to go, if you can satisfy the practicals.
    Just recently, IFSI apparently ran out of money and ended the last FFII class in the middle of Module III. Not sure what the status is now, but I'm sure it will be ironed out in the end.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

We are required to get FFII, Paramedic, Hazmat Ops. We have to get Fire III to take a promotional exam to officer.

I am at Joliet
    about 220FF's w/ 9 stations, just under 150K population.

Forum Member

I wish. Right now all that's required is the Basic Essentials weekend class and Hazmat Awareness. I'd like to do FF II online, but I'm a little fuzzy on how the practicals work for that (who signs off on them?). CR, can you shed some light on it? I took the 80 hour entry level firefighter class in WI but that doesn't transfer to anything here.

Andy

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

I can shed some light on the practicals. We have a guy taking the online class now. You will need at least an Instructor I to sign off on the practicals and they should actually see you do them to make sure you know how. We went to another department and found an instructor willing to help out.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jboczek View Post
    I can shed some light on the practicals. We have a guy taking the online class now. You will need at least an Instructor I to sign off on the practicals and they should actually see you do them to make sure you know how. We went to another department and found an instructor willing to help out.
    Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

Andy

Volunteer FF/1R

Default practicals

Send me your email address to jhughey@ashleyfire.org and I can send you a copy of the practical requirements in .pdf format. There's quite a few things on there, so you might want to take a look at it.

Josh

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jhughey View Post
    Send me your email address to jhughey@ashleyfire.org and I can send you a copy of the practical requirements in .pdf format. There's quite a few things on there, so you might want to take a look at it.

Josh
    You've got mail, my friend.

Thanks!

Zach

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican631 View Post
    I wish. Right now all that's required is the Basic Essentials weekend class and Hazmat Awareness. I'd like to do FF II online, but I'm a little fuzzy on how the practicals work for that (who signs off on them?). CR, can you shed some light on it? I took the 80 hour entry level firefighter class in WI but that doesn't transfer to anything here.

Andy
    Sorry it took me so long to get back. Been a real bahstid this week.
    Jack is correct. You need at least Instructor I to witness and sign off on the practicals. We are fortunate to have TWO Instructor I's on our department.
    Not a problem with the practicals.
    If you can't find anyone close, I can throw one of them in the car and have them head your way. One will want room and meals; the other one will work for cookies.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason View Post
    Sorry it took me so long to get back. Been a real bahstid this week.
    Jack is correct. You need at least Instructor I to witness and sign off on the practicals. We are fortunate to have TWO Instructor I's on our department.
    Not a problem with the practicals.
    If you can't find anyone close, I can throw one of them in the car and have them head your way. One will want room and meals; the other one will work for cookies.
    CR
    Thanks for the offer. I just found out that Morton Fire is going to be starting up another one of their FFII online "academy" classes in February, so I'll probably get in on that. They have everyone go through the online class together and do the practicals together...sounds like a decent way to do it.

Andy

Forum Member

Default Certifications

Our SOP's state that everybody will have FFII. Our district has for years done a FFII class every year. However I do know that some have not passed and they are still on the district. We will see if they will have to retake it. I plan on making the guys at my station retake and pass it. We are also offering FSVO every year and it is supposed to be a requirement to be able to drive. Again, I know that there are some that have not taken the course that are driving. Although they do not have to take the state test, they are supposed to take the class.

Thread Information