Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    Good question. Something about this story is "squirrely", and I mean besides Rocky.
    The article didn't say...I wonder if the hood was up or crumpled?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZFF25 View Post
    Taste's like chicken?
    Nope.Critters like chicken,lizards,snakes and squirrel taste like whatever you add for taste.Add salt,it tastes like salt.Put in some lemon pepper and it tastes like lemon pepper squirrel.
    The Kroger's here in Memphis have in their meat department 1 pound of buffalo meat for sale.My nieces love the stuff when I cook it with Hamburger helper(tm)but occasionally I'll get a cashier that's creeped out that I'm going to cook a buffalo.It's not like I went to a local park and shot one of the buffalo herd out there.
    One river job I had years ago was always having power outages because the black birds that would congregate around the corn milling facililty next door would short out the electrical transformer up on "the hill".
    During times like that,if you visited the dispatcher would offer you fried "free range chicken".
    Go with your redneck on this: Don't accept his offer of lunch.It ain't chicken.
    Last edited by doughesson; 10-22-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Forum Member

One time I was walking one of my niecelings to school and she saw a squirrel that she swore was holding a stick.She warned me,"Uncle Doug,it knows you've been killing its relatives in Kentucky and has been looking for you.Be careful walking back home."

Quote Originally Posted by firecat1 View Post
    There is a squirrel sitting on top of my car and it won't go away!!! I smacked it off with the broom, it got back up! I smacked it again, same thing. Maybe squirrels are actually little fuzzy-tailed demons in disguise?

Default :)

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    One time I was walking one of my niecelings to school and she saw a squirrel that she swore was holding a stick.She warned me,"Uncle Doug,it knows you've been killing its relatives in Kentucky and has been looking for you.Be careful walking back home."
    See, I knew it!!! The little friggin' things ARE possessed!!!

See, I knew it!!! The little friggin' things ARE possessed!!!

Possessed by thoughts of vengance Bwahahahahaha......ha!

Quote Originally Posted by mvfd27 View Post
    Possessed by thoughts of vengance Bwahahahahaha......ha!
    *grabs a machete, runs and hides*

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Steve?...........

No point in going yourself, Send George. After all, this happened in Joisey, and George speaks fluent Joisey.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

I've found several of Rocky's cousins on the ground near blown transformers that we've been sent to...Bald and fully cooked!

In this area, it's not that uncommon. The last one was just a few months ago.

I've yet to see one start a secondary fire, though.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Thumbs up Yup, They Do.................

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    I've found several of Rocky's cousins on the ground near blown transformers that we've been sent to...Bald and fully cooked!

In this area, it's not that uncommon. The last one was just a few months ago.

I've yet to see one start a secondary fire, though.

Among my duties when I worked for the State Forestry Dept. I did "Cause and Origin" Investigations. Last March, I had a 1/2 acre of Brush that was caused by the body of a Squirrell that had hit a 4,400 volt line. I completed my work, and filed the necessary reports, which indicated that the Adult Male responsible for the Fire had died in the blaze. THAT one raised a few eyebrows..................
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Among my duties when I worked for the State Forestry Dept. I did "Cause and Origin" Investigations. Last March, I had a 1/2 acre of Brush that was caused by the body of a Squirrell that had hit a 4,400 volt line. I completed my work, and filed the necessary reports, which indicated that the Adult Male responsible for the Fire had died in the blaze. THAT one raised a few eyebrows..................
    I'll bet it did at that!

...So, you're sure it was a male, huh?
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

That's interesting and pretty funny too. I wonder how many fires are caused by this.
    I saw a squirrell get fried on a line once but there was 4 foot pile of snow under the line so there wasn't any trouble of fire. There was a bright light and a disgusting sight to say the least.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by hwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post
    I'll bet it did at that!

...So, you're sure it was a male, huh?
    Yup....roasted nuts. Right, Harve???
    Last edited by Steamer; 11-15-2007 at 01:22 AM.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Of course. I should have known!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

*grabs a machete, runs and hides*

In my years of squirrel hunting,I've never been concerned about a "squirrel wave" attack.The most ammunition I carry is nine rounds of .22 if I'm using my rifle or 6 in my 20 guage with three shotshells in my pocket.I rarely carry more than the bag limit allows.If I miss,I don't get that one is my philosophy.

In my years of squirrel hunting,I've never been concerned about a "squirrel wave" attack.The most ammunition I carry is nine rounds of .22 if I'm using my rifle or 6 in my 20 guage with three shotshells in my pocket.I rarely carry more than the bag limit allows.If I miss,I don't get that one is my philosophy.
    I still think they're possessed!

Default Yep...........

Exactly........... (Thanks Bro. Us investigators gotta stick together....)
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Exactly........... (Thanks Bro. Us investigators gotta stick together....)
    I always thought investigations went:"Well,looks like she started over here,burnt this stove slap up and then took down the rest of the house.Let's go get some beer after we write this up."

A retired (now deceased) Capt. told the story of a call he went to long before I started with the dept.

There was a woman in her 60's that was brushing the fur on her Persian cat in the living room of her home. As she brushed the cat, she was also spraying it with flea spray.
    The weather was rather cool, so she had a fire going in the fireplace. A log in the fireplace popped, and a spark shot out from the fireplace and landed on the freshly flea sprayed cat. WOOSH! The flea spray instantly ignited.

The now burning cat began tearing through the living room at full speed. It next tried to crawl under the couch to escape it's misery, but only succeeded in setting it on fire. Finding no relief there, it next ran to the living room windows, setting the drapes on fire. Finally, fully involved and still haulin' ***, the roasting cat ran into the bedroom and crawled under the bed.
    The frantic woman meanwhile, was running through the house after her flaming feline, as she was screaming for some help.

When the Capt. arrived, he found the woman sitting in the front yard, sobbing uncontrollably, and holding a completely bald, howling cat in her arms, with what was now a well involved house behind her.

The Capt. said it was definitely the hottest pu$$y he'd ever seen!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    "Fir na tine"

MembersZone Subscriber

It can Happen:

Damn Varmits. We were special called for our aerial to this blaze. Offical cause by State Fire Marshals Office. THE SQUIRREL DID IT !!!!

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20...NEWS/605140351

RED BAY -- The municipal building that houses town hall and the police department was destroyed Saturday morning by a fire that apparently started when a squirrel got tangled in a nearby transformer.

Everyone in the building, including two inmates in the jail, got out unharmed.

The building, which was built nearly 70 years ago, was a total loss.

Wayne Sims, who worked for the town for more than 30 years, was obviously saddened as he walked around the smoldering building that he had known for so long.

"I started working for the city in 1963 and this was here way before that," Sims said. "I have a lot of memories in there. I've seen a lot of people come and go through the years."

Mayor Jeff Reid said a police dispatcher heard two explosions just before 8 a.m. and then saw flames from the top of the one-story building on Fifth Avenue.

Flames erupted more than 25 feet above the building, and thick gray and black smoke poured from the roof as firefighters frantically tried to control the fire.

Firefighters say a squirrel got snagged on a transformer about a block away.

Apparently, the squirrel, which was found dead near the transformer, caused the transformer to ground out and send such a strong surge that a power line caught fire.

The line fell on top of the municipal building, sparking the fire.

Police Chief Pat Creel said Assistant Chief Janna Jackson saw the line on the ground in front of the station and reported it in just before the fire was noticed.

"It's a total loss," Creel said.

The doors inside the police station automatically locked when the power went off, temporarily locking the dispatcher and the two inmates inside until a door could be broken.

The dispatcher was the only employee in the building at the time.

Although the building was destroyed, a vault containing many important documents was saved.

Councilwoman Patsy Hammock said the vault contains city records such as minutes of council meetings and ordinances, as well as backup files for the computer system.

Much of the police department's equipment was destroyed, but Creel said most of the evidence from active cases survived the fire as did some ammunition. A wall separated the police department and jail from town hall offices.

Reid said town officials will work through the weekend to make arrangements to handle city business on a temporary basis. He said they plan to set up offices about a block away at the revenue commissioner's annex office.

He said the town will move quickly on finding a long-term solution.

"We will rebuild and make it," Reid said.

"We have great insurance coverage," Hammock said, and was confident the municipal building would be replaced.

The police department will use the sheriff's department's substation.

"The community has just been so supportive and offering to help any way they can," Hammock said.

The two inmates were taken to the Franklin County Jail in Russellville.

Reid said firefighters from Red Bay, Vina, Russellville and Banner, Miss., responded.

"We had a fire training session going on in town (Saturday), and there were several firemen from all over already here," Reid said.

Scotty Kennedy, a local photographer and city historian, said he has a photograph of the building during construction and believes it was taken in the late 1930s or early 1940s.

The building has been renovated several times during the years, with the last work being done 12 years ago, town officials said.

Hammock said the loss of the building would be a big loss for Red Bay but said the town will be fine.

"The people here are rallying together, and we will be OK," she said.

State fire marshals have been called in to officially determine the cause of the blaze.

Talking Hmmmm................

I always thought investigations went:"Well,looks like she started over here,burnt this stove slap up and then took down the rest of the house.Let's go get some beer after we write this up."

Not Exactly.......... Real Investigators drink Jack Daniels........ Steve??...... George??......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information