Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Forum Member Motorhead90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    No. Central Ma.
    Posts
    103

    Default Worcester Wrenches or Magnetic Hydrants

    Is anyone from a city or town with magnetic bearings around the hydrant nut to prevent kids or vandals from opening the valve? In Worcester, MA the F.D. uses a modified hydrant wrench that can attach to the nut so it can be opened. My dept. has several of these wrenches on the engines and the tower so that when they are sent to Worcester for mutual aid, they can open the hydrants.
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright


  2. #2
    .
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Could you take a picture of the wrenches and post them. One of the hydrants would be nice too next time your up that way, because I have no clue what your talking about, even after a google search.

  3. #3
    Forum Member Res343cue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Your 1st due.
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    http://www.rodoncorp.com/firedept/1....schematic.html

    Basically it puts a "cover" that can't be removed (so they claim ) over the nut on top of the hydrant. The hydrant wrench has a powerful magnet inside of it that "grabs" another magnet in the special cover that then allows the whole assembly to spin the nut.

    They're "supposed" to work, but any inner-city kid can either find a the wrench or bust if off....
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

    I A C O J
    FTM-PTB


    Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

  4. #4
    .
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post
    http://www.rodoncorp.com/firedept/1....schematic.html

    Basically it puts a "cover" that can't be removed (so they claim ) over the nut on top of the hydrant. The hydrant wrench has a powerful magnet inside of it that "grabs" another magnet in the special cover that then allows the whole assembly to spin the nut.

    They're "supposed" to work, but any inner-city kid can either find a the wrench or bust if off....
    Thank you, I believe they use these in NYC, can anyone confirm?

  5. #5
    Forum Member Explorer343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Tough one. I would still go with the Worcester wrench despite the amount of time that is shaven off when using a magnetic hydrant. Keeps vandals from wasting our water supply.
    FDNY | 343 | NEVER FORGET

  6. #6
    Forum Member Res343cue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Your 1st due.
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343 View Post
    Tough one. I would still go with the Worcester wrench despite the amount of time that is shaven off when using a magnetic hydrant. Keeps vandals from wasting our water supply.
    Okay, what's so special about the Worcester Wrench then?

    What is it? Obviously you know so much about firefighthing that you think that it makes a difference, so why don't you tell us what exactly you are talking about.

    BTW: Outside of the greater Worcester area, I bet people have never heard of a "WORCESTER WRENCH".

    And it'll NEVER completely stop vandals from getting water out of a hydrant. NYC has tried a bunch of things and you can see hydrants flowing every day on street corners when the temperature is above 65*
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

    I A C O J
    FTM-PTB


    Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

  7. #7
    Forum Member Explorer343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post
    Okay, what's so special about the Worcester Wrench then?

    What is it? Obviously you know so much about firefighthing that you think that it makes a difference, so why don't you tell us what exactly you are talking about.

    BTW: Outside of the greater Worcester area, I bet people have never heard of a "WORCESTER WRENCH".

    And it'll NEVER completely stop vandals from getting water out of a hydrant. NYC has tried a bunch of things and you can see hydrants flowing every day on street corners when the temperature is above 65*
    Whoa. Take it easy fella. I was just posting my opinion. Never said I knew everything about firefighting.
    FDNY | 343 | NEVER FORGET

  8. #8
    .
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue View Post

    BTW: Outside of the greater Worcester area, I bet people have never heard of a "WORCESTER WRENCH".
    Yup.......

  9. #9
    Forum Member Res343cue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Your 1st due.
    Posts
    1,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343 View Post
    Whoa. Take it easy fella. I was just posting my opinion. Never said I knew everything about firefighting.
    BACK UP YOUR OPINION!

    Why is the Worcester Wrench so special? Show us what it is if it's so special.

    Obviously the product I found using Motorhead's description doesn't describe it well enough, so why don't you find it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

    I A C O J
    FTM-PTB


    Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    162

    Default

    My city has what is called "anti-tamper" hydrant bonnets. What it amounts to is a cast in sleeve that extends up around the stem nut protects the stem nut. The wrench is a socket style, just like the one in your toolbox, except that is a pentagon. It works well, the problem we have is people removing the caps for scrap and/or filling the barrel up with just about anything imaginable. I have seen hydrants that the city has adapted by welding a sleeve in place, but these can be twisted of with a large pipe wrench if the welder did a poor job.

  11. #11
    Forum Member Explorer343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead90 View Post
    Is anyone from a city or town with magnetic bearings around the hydrant nut to prevent kids or vandals from opening the valve? In Worcester, MA the F.D. uses a modified hydrant wrench that can attach to the nut so it can be opened. My dept. has several of these wrenches on the engines and the tower so that when they are sent to Worcester for mutual aid, they can open the hydrants.
    What's the regular name for a "Worcester wrench"? Can't find any pics on Google Image Search.
    Last edited by Explorer343; 10-20-2007 at 02:57 PM.
    FDNY | 343 | NEVER FORGET

  12. #12
    Forum Member Bvfa23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    28
    These opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

  13. #13
    Forum Member Motorhead90's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    No. Central Ma.
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Yeah, it's basically a magnetic lock. Mike, it doesnt have anything to do with saving time, that's the tool they have to use to open it. It would take them the same amount of time as it would take us to open a hydrant.

    I don't know who makes them, or how our dept. got theirs. WFD's shops might make them.
    Last edited by Motorhead90; 10-20-2007 at 04:28 PM.
    "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up"-Steven Wright

  14. #14
    Forum Member SMOKEnPipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    41

    Default Vandal devices

    There are several Devices out there for hydrant abuses , used in Inner City areas , the magnetic lock is the "newist: and from the looks of it several new manufacturers have stolen the idea for themselves.. From Rodon
    http://www.rodoncorp.com/firedept/1.3.hydralocks.html
    The magnetic device Like any other man made device Can be defeated If someone is smart enough, I Can attest, In 6 years My department has Only Had One of them defeated out right and a couple of guys have figured out ways to manufacture or fabricate a device that would work. BUt I wont say here "How" they accomplished it...

    The devices have cut down considerably the amount of abuses as compared with all other devices, Including the "CCL" device that someone mentioned which has a ring protecting the stem, forcing youto use a "Socket" style device uears back they used a Split wrench which was fit Over and attached below what Looks like a PIPE Capover the stem, and the strem itself would look like a D if that cap was removed the flat spot
    co-incided with a flatspot on the wrench and a pin would hold both halves of the wrench together to operate the nut , we also Use "hydroshield" caps
    http://www.rodoncorp.com/firedept/1.4.hydracaps.html
    which are rounded and use a special wrench to remove the caps (a real Pain) often the Hydroshield caps along with Magnetic locks make the hydrant too much work to bother with (since its hot out) when It comes down to it having the devices Might seem stupid given the amount of work it is to get water , But If You work In the inner city, In neighborhoods where every resident believes IF youtake away They're RIGHT to allow they're children to get RUN over by traffic, They're RIGHT to throw Rocks , Bottles, etc at Anyone who shuts down "they're" Hydrant despite who's Basement is flooding because of the water flow, They're Right to Impede traffic and even create opportunities to allow neighborhood dregs to "use" the traffic to Car Jack and ROB unsuspecting folks at gun point, IF Youhave ever been the Company officer dragged into court and named in the lawsuit for the
    wrongful death of a 4 year old girl, who was knocked down, an washed under the wheels of a pickup truck , when she was pushed By an older kid out of the way, when the Fire Company had been to and shut down the illegally opened hydrant noless then 8 times between 10 am and 4:15 pm when the incident occurred, Yep, wherewere the childs Parents? sitting on da stoop just inside the housing facility... the suit was brought and defeated 3 differant times over over 5 years against the Officer and fire department , against the City and The fire department , against the water Department , BUt NEVER against the dumbA** who opened the hydrant illegally or the parents ..of course...

    While the poster refers to them as Worcester< they are a bitmore universal then that.. Google searches or other searches of anti vandal Hydrant devices should clue you in as to various types of devices Including Hydro shield Caps and other devices....
    Last edited by SMOKEnPipes; 10-26-2007 at 06:17 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Lealman--Major 2003 Fire leads to new hydrants
    By captstanm1 in forum Florida
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 05:10 PM
  2. Worcester Firefighters Memorial Park Box 5-1438 Dec 3 1999
    By neildonahue in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-18-2004, 10:14 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 10:10 AM
  4. Isle of Capri Asks County to Install Hydrants
    By captstanm1 in forum Florida
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2003, 09:10 AM
  5. For those who like Tornado history, 1953 Worcester Twister
    By Dalmatian90 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2003, 04:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts