Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Stairmaster v. Stepmill

A search turned up nothing.

Is there an effective difference between the Stairmaster and stepmill?

The reason I ask is that I don't have access to a stepmill right now. It seems to me that with the same weight and same time, the stepmill should be easier, but I don't know for sure.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DonSmithnotTMD View Post
    A search turned up nothing.

Is there an effective difference between the Stairmaster and stepmill?

The reason I ask is that I don't have access to a stepmill right now. It seems to me that with the same weight and same time, the stepmill should be easier, but I don't know for sure.
    Are you using them to train for a test or to stay in shape for the job (saw your avatar)?

I ask because if you are using it just to train while ON the job I think the difference wouldn't effect you too much because of your everyday interaction with heavy stuff and walking with heavy stuff. However the stepmill will beat the stairmaster when training for a test, I think youd be alright either way, but nothing beats the specificity.

MembersZone Subscriber

The functionality of the stepmaster is lacking. It does not have much of a real world applicability. With the stepmill, its a much more real movement.

Stepmill is a better choice, large building with real stairs are even better.

Quote Originally Posted by FLA1786 View Post
    Are you using them to train for a test or to stay in shape for the job (saw your avatar)?

I ask because if you are using it just to train while ON the job I think the difference wouldn't effect you too much because of your everyday interaction with heavy stuff and walking with heavy stuff. However the stepmill will beat the stairmaster when training for a test, I think youd be alright either way, but nothing beats the specificity.
    Sorry wasn't paying attention. It's for a test. There aren't any stairs around here (Afghanistan) either.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

The stepmill is by far better than the stairmaster. We have two of them at the FD. It is almost relentless and cruel to say the least. You can not "cheat" on the stepmill because you perform a true stepping motion.
    Last edited by FDAIC485; 11-17-2007 at 02:26 PM.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    The stepmill is by far better than the stairmaster. We have two of them at the FD. It is almost relentless and cruel to say the least. You can not "cheat" on the stepmill because you perform a true stepping motion.
    And Stadium Stairs beat the both of these. I passed the stair test because of Stadim Steps with a 50 pound pack, whereas a guy 1/2 my age had to stop because he was hyperventilating. I will continue to run steps as part of my regular exersize routine no matter what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    And Stadium Stairs beat the both of these. I passed the stair test because of Stadim Steps with a 50 pound pack, whereas a guy 1/2 my age had to stop because he was hyperventilating. I will continue to run steps as part of my regular exersize routine no matter what happens.
    There are not many stadiums around that will let you climb stairs for 30 minutes straight without having to stop at some point. Regardless, whatever works for you is great.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Thread Information