Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Forum Member DonSmithnotTMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fayetteville, N.C.
    Posts
    407

    Default Stairmaster v. Stepmill

    A search turned up nothing.

    Is there an effective difference between the Stairmaster and stepmill?

    The reason I ask is that I don't have access to a stepmill right now. It seems to me that with the same weight and same time, the stepmill should be easier, but I don't know for sure.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.


  2. #2
    FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonSmithnotTMD View Post
    A search turned up nothing.

    Is there an effective difference between the Stairmaster and stepmill?

    The reason I ask is that I don't have access to a stepmill right now. It seems to me that with the same weight and same time, the stepmill should be easier, but I don't know for sure.
    Are you using them to train for a test or to stay in shape for the job (saw your avatar)?

    I ask because if you are using it just to train while ON the job I think the difference wouldn't effect you too much because of your everyday interaction with heavy stuff and walking with heavy stuff. However the stepmill will beat the stairmaster when training for a test, I think youd be alright either way, but nothing beats the specificity.

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    153

    Default

    The functionality of the stepmaster is lacking. It does not have much of a real world applicability. With the stepmill, its a much more real movement.

    Stepmill is a better choice, large building with real stairs are even better.

  4. #4
    Forum Member DonSmithnotTMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Fayetteville, N.C.
    Posts
    407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FLA1786 View Post
    Are you using them to train for a test or to stay in shape for the job (saw your avatar)?

    I ask because if you are using it just to train while ON the job I think the difference wouldn't effect you too much because of your everyday interaction with heavy stuff and walking with heavy stuff. However the stepmill will beat the stairmaster when training for a test, I think youd be alright either way, but nothing beats the specificity.
    Sorry wasn't paying attention. It's for a test. There aren't any stairs around here (Afghanistan) either.
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

  5. #5
    Forum Member FDAIC485's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeast aka Dixie
    Posts
    653

    Default

    The stepmill is by far better than the stairmaster. We have two of them at the FD. It is almost relentless and cruel to say the least. You can not "cheat" on the stepmill because you perform a true stepping motion.
    Last edited by FDAIC485; 11-17-2007 at 02:26 PM.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

    -J. Cantrell

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    The stepmill is by far better than the stairmaster. We have two of them at the FD. It is almost relentless and cruel to say the least. You can not "cheat" on the stepmill because you perform a true stepping motion.
    And Stadium Stairs beat the both of these. I passed the stair test because of Stadim Steps with a 50 pound pack, whereas a guy 1/2 my age had to stop because he was hyperventilating. I will continue to run steps as part of my regular exersize routine no matter what happens.

  7. #7
    Forum Member FDAIC485's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeast aka Dixie
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
    And Stadium Stairs beat the both of these. I passed the stair test because of Stadim Steps with a 50 pound pack, whereas a guy 1/2 my age had to stop because he was hyperventilating. I will continue to run steps as part of my regular exersize routine no matter what happens.
    There are not many stadiums around that will let you climb stairs for 30 minutes straight without having to stop at some point. Regardless, whatever works for you is great.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

    -J. Cantrell

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fdny 2006
    By ffbam24 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 2682
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 01:38 AM
  2. Stepmill NJ/Philly
    By BarMan in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2007, 01:22 PM
  3. Stepmill
    By Carey14 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 10:43 PM
  4. Physical Agility Prep
    By dmfireschool in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 08:46 AM
  5. What's a Good StairMaster Step Rate?
    By Jedimike007 in forum Health and Wellness
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2002, 12:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts