Forum Member

Lightbulb Grant Writting for AFG, and others

Hello,

I'm looking for some assistance in preparing a grant, and some advice before I being writting the narrative.

We have two pumpers, and one medical response vehicle (ambulance). All of which are very old, ranging from 10 years old, to 30 years old.

One pumper will not even pass pump testing, transmission problems in medical vehicle, etc, etc.

I'm going to attempt and write two AFG grants. One grant will be for obtaining a new pumper, and a mini-pumper. While the other grant will be for equipment to raise our ISO points, and to stock the new trucks.

Or should I make two seperate grants for the pumper and mini-pumper?

The main purpose of the grant this time is to obtain a new pumper. All of the other things are nice, but really what we need is a pumper -- so if you have any advice on what to write the grant for (one pumper, etc) I'm very ope to it.

Thanks,
    Travis

P.S.; Once I write the narrative, I'd like to have a few read it as if you were the judges for AFG and let me know if you would give an award.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thowle View Post
    I'm going to attempt and write two AFG grants. One grant will be for obtaining a new pumper, and a mini-pumper. While the other grant will be for equipment to raise our ISO points, and to stock the new trucks.

The main purpose of the grant this time is to obtain a new pumper. All of the other things are nice, but really what we need is a pumper -- so if you have any advice on what to write the grant for (one pumper, etc) I'm very ope to it.
    You've come to the right place. You should take some time to look around here to get familiar with the ins and outs of the program and pick up some tips.

To put it simply, you basically answered your own question. The MAIN purpose of your application will be to purchase a new pumper. If that is the case, stick to that. The program is centered around needs instead of wants. I know you may want a new mini-pumper, but go for it next year if your main concern right now is replacing that old pumper. You don't want to risk losing a new cool firetruck if the justification isn't there for the second one. Entire application goes away, not just one part of it.

Equipment being written under the Ops section is ok, but separating it from the apparatus could present an issue. What if your equipment grant is awarded to equip a new truck that you don't receive?

Let us know what your fleet ages are (by vehicle) and we'll start from there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Welcome aboard. As Sly pointed out you have come to the right place. Just remember there is no such thing as a stupid question; if you are not sure post a question...someone will relpy with an answer to help you out.

I'm looking for some assistance in preparing a grant, and some advice before I being writting the narrative.
    Preperation is key to writing a successful narrative. Read the PG a number of times to famialarize yourself with the process, review the tutorial, attend a workshop and read/review applicable NFPA standards to your project(s). Starting early (like you are doing) will help in the long run.

Based on your post the pumper is your greatest need. That is what you should be writng your narrative for. The other issue is only suburban & urban classifications can apply for more than one vehicle. If you are rural (<500 residents/square mile) you can only apply for one vehicle.

While the other grant will be for equipment to raise our ISO points, and to stock the new trucks.
    Under the vehicle application you have the ability to stock the vehicle with equipment to meet the requirements set in NFPA 1901. The AFG allows up to $30,000 to equip the vehicle. Try to use the Ops application for PPE needs.

P.S.; Once I write the narrative, I'd like to have a few read it as if you were the judges for AFG and let me know if you would give an award.
    You will find that those who review narratives on request will provide constructive input to improve your chances for an award. I can only speak for myself, but I will never tell anyone that their narrative will get them an award. It is my opinion, the only opinions that count are the 3 Peer Reviewers that are reading your narrative. I have seen it too many times, that an application has been denied with the applicant complaining that they were told it was a winning application by some one that has reviewed it prior to submission.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by thowle View Post
    Hello,

We have two pumpers, and one medical response vehicle (ambulance). All of which are very old, ranging from 10 years old, to 30 years old.

One pumper will not even pass pump testing, transmission problems in medical vehicle, etc, etc.

Travis,

Knowing where you are, you are only going to be able to put in for one truck, unless the guidance changes - and I am betting it won't. With that said, and you mention that you are looking to try to lower the ISO rating, is an engine REALLY your highest need?

You mention that your engines are between 10 to 30 years old, that is not too terrible as rural departments go. What ISO is going to want to see is water handling, ie, a tanker. (Knowing you don't have hydrants everywhere you cover)

You may want to consider an engine/tanker.

As others have posted, equip that new engine on the same grant. Use the equipment grant for new PPE.

Lots of us are willing to read your grant application and give input, but remember, out of 100 people, you will most likely get 101 opinions. Use and abuse Brian and Kurt. Take a few hour drive and come over here to southern MO and go through Brians class. Its free! I am sure that Kurt has classes close to you also - they are free too!

I can't stress the classes enough.

And when formulating need, start with a plan. Figure out what it is you are trying to do, and find out what it takes. Then figure out how those needs are covered by the grant application.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Just so Kurt's boss doesn't have a cardiac, their workshops aren't free. But by no means don't let that stop you from going.

I'm working up 3 in the MO state in January, all free. Take one of each, take three if you can find another one also. The only time a body can't learn something at all is when it doesn't show up. Knowledge only kills spies.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post
    Just so Kurt's boss doesn't have a cardiac, their workshops aren't free. But by no means don't let that stop you from going.

I'm working up 3 in the MO state in January, all free. Take one of each, take three if you can find another one also. The only time a body can't learn something at all is when it doesn't show up. Knowledge only kills spies.
    True there is a charge for the seminar ( gotta pay bills somehow ) but the reviewing, management, access to the website, toll free numbers to us and continuing support are all free of charge.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Thank you all for your prompt replies.

As some can see from my profile, I'm located in Wickliffe, KY. I am attempting to write this grant for the Wickliffe City Fire Department (if that makes any difference in AFG).

We primarly focus on our city-limits of course, but offer mutual aid to many other departments located around the county.

Our first due area is a hydrant covered area, so a strictly tanker really wouldn't benefit us much when compared to a new pumper.

In Wickliffe City, we have a static population of about 1,000. However, we house multiple large junctions of major highways (US 60, 62, 51, 121, 286, ...). So we are a HIGHLY travelled area of passenger vehicles, and commercial transport vehicles which could potentially be carrying hazardous materials.

As stated earlier, we house three vehicles at our station. Two pumpers, and one medical response vehicle (ambulance).

Engine 1; 1987 Pierce Pumper
    Engine 2; 1962 HOWE Pumper
    Support 1; 1989 Ford Chassis

** I was wrong in my earlier statement of vehicle ages; Our fleet has ranging ages of 18 to 45 years old.

Engine 2 barley crossed into the "passing" stage of pump-testing last year. Engine 1 is pumping quiet well, however it is an open-cab on back (Holding 4 personnel, two enclosed up-front, and two non-enclosed on back of cab).

We just got paged out, so I will add more information when I get back.
    Thanks,
    Travis

Forum Member

Travis,

Montgomery IN is hosting Kurt for a seminar this weekend(27 & 28th). We are 1 hour north of Evansville/Owensboro. How far are you from them. I looked on the map. looks like about 1 hour to an hour and half. Shoot me an e-mail or better yet give Kurt a hollar. He can set you right up. I've tried for 4 years now and have not made it past the computer. I think going to one of Kurts seminars can be a valuable asset to getting an award. Think about it.

Dwayne
    fireman8611@yahoo.com

Thread Information