Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    It is amazing. This place is a donkeyfest.

I don't need to run with anyone, my job keeps me busy enough. I will drink with the guys from Philly anytime I can though, and have in the past.

Isn't that your pager?
    i was refering to your excuses you gave, not the dept. guess it wasn't spelled out clear enough for you. i don't carry a pager sorry to disappoint you.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb Nope.............

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    So does this mean the 'reincarnation of the next trotter' watch begins?
    We're past that point already.............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I live in Montco, been to Bucks & Philly many many times. If you think the demographics are even remotely close, open your eyes a little wider!!!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

we walk all over your back. you have no idea. ive been to bucks, nothing much to write home about.
    Just another one of the 99%ers looking up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoseheadmaps View Post
    Nice union response - the city of Philadelphia will kill more people in one year then Bucks County will lose in 20 years. If you paid guys are so good why do so many die under your watch?? One question wasn't asked to the woman "why didn't you use your home fire extinguisher". If you know anything about Northampton Township its 25+ sq miles, it takes more then 9 mins to drive thru it on a good day.

things the reporter may not have taken into account on this particular call is squad calls take precedent over fire calls. If the dispatcher has 2-3 squad calls to dispatch before this dwelling fire you've taken at least 2-3 minutes. you also have to take into account it takes 3-4 minutes for the dispatcher to process the call - from intake to dispatch

ps: i'm sure these two were glad they had a paid dept to rely on:

Philadelphia Fire Claims Two

10-24-2007 07:21:41 AM

A 12-year-old girl and her great aunt were killed in a South Philadelphia row home fire on Tuesday night in a home that had no working smoke detectors, fire authorities said. View Images The flames broke out at about 10:30 p.m. in a corner house located on the 400 block of Hoffman Street. Neighbors said firefighters battled the blaze and thick smoke but could not get to the screaming girl on time.
    On Tuesday night, Chopper 10 was above the scene and showed firefighters temporarily evacuating the building after the blaze quickly flared up.
    NBC 10's Tim Furlong reported from the scene that the entire block was also evacuated, and neighbors were complaining of heavy smoke in the area.
    Firefighters reported the bulk of the fire was watered down by 11:30 p.m.
    Fire officials said two male victims inside the home suffered what appeared to be minor injuries. The family also had several dogs, but only one of them had been located.
    I see you crawled out from under your rock again... Your signature is a violation of the terms of service and has been reported to the webteam.

To quote my good friend Kiwi...
    Ya Plonker!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 10-28-2007 at 10:19 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Amazing. Trotter has been gone 24 hours, and already the idiocy is replaced.
    Hey; what happened to the clueless wonder?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hoseheadmaps
    Quote Originally Posted by FFFred
    I find it a bit odd that the woman who had her house burn down has the "balls" to complain about the response time. I understand she is upset at the destruction of her house and belongings but how is it she wasn't aware of the level of service she receieved? If she wanted a timely professional Fire department, I'm sure there are plenty of homes available in Philly for her to purchase.

It can be summed up I think like this....

Volunteer Fire service...you get what you pay for.

FTM-PTB
    Nice union response - the city of Philadelphia will kill more people in one year then Bucks County will lose in 20 years. If you paid guys are so good why do so many die under your watch?? One question wasn't asked to the woman "why didn't you use your home fire extinguisher". If you know anything about Northampton Township its 25+ sq miles, it takes more then 9 mins to drive thru it on a good day.
    I am a volunteer and I completely agree with FFFred about getting what you pay for. I don't see it as a union response although it could be used to push for more career stations. He is completely right if you want career response times you must pay for them. If you want the low taxes etc. of a volunteer force, you might have to wait a little longer for us to get there.

As for your statement about philly killing off members and about 2 dying in a fire. It's all bull, sure philly might have more LODD than your county but it is most likely because they see much more fire and therefore more risk. They also probably on average go interior much more, as they arrive on scene quicker increasing the risk even more. Also, don't use 2 deaths of civilians in a fire to somehow warp into a fact that career response times, or even the career fire service is below volunteers.

If volunteers were called to this fire, I doubt we could have saved these civilians either.

MembersZone Subscriber

Asphyxia is defined as a condition in which there is a lack of oxygen in the blood and an increase in carbon dioxide in the blood and tissues. Symptoms include irregular or disturbed respirations or a complete absence of breathing. Asphyxia may occur whenever there is an interruption in the normal exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide between the lungs and outside air. Some common causes of asphyxia are drowning, electric shock, hanging, suffocation, inhalation of smoke and poisonous gases and trauma to or disease of the lungs and air passages.

Smoke is defined as the mixture of gases and aerosolized particulate matter generated by the burning of ‘fuel’. It is produced by two processes: oxidation and pyrolysis.

Oxidation is the process by which oxygen chemically combines with fuel molecules and degrades them to smaller compounds. Heat and light are generated as by-products. Complete oxidation can produce molecules ranging from relatively non-toxic to the noxious. Oxidation is always incomplete and releases carbon monoxide and elemental carbon. Carbon monoxide is highly toxic and accounts for the majority of deaths from fire, while elemental carbon may act to enhance distribution of other toxic molecules and heat to the more distal areas of the tracheo-bronchial tree.

Pyrolysis is a function of heat and refers to the direct release of fuel constituents through melting or boiling. In other words, pyrolysis is the decomposition of a chemical compound caused by heat.
    Sufficient heat may lead to the thermal breakdown of larger to smaller molecules, some that may be highly toxic. Individual products from oxidation and pyrolysis may react to each other and produce hundreds or thousands of distinct compounds, each with its own toxicity profile.

Smoke inhalation can cause injury and/or death by any combination of four (4) major mechanisms: thermal injury, direct broncho-pulmonary toxins, systemic toxins and hypoxic gas inhalation. Let’s look at each.

(1) Thermal injury. Smoke often has a high temperature, tends to be dry and generally has a low specific heat. This, plus the heat exchanging properties in the upper airways will, in most cases, limit thermal injuries to the opening to the airways. Spasms to the larynx due to heat can also occur. Thermal injury to the lower respiratory tract can also occur when there is inhalation of super-heated particles (smoke/gas) or steam. Heat produces immediate injury to the mucous membranes resulting in redness and swelling, lesions and build up of fluids. In other words, without proper airway management, suffocation will occur from the swelling and build up of fluid.
    (2) Direct broncho-pulmonary toxins. A large number of the lower molecular weight constituents of smoke are toxic to the bronchial mucous membranes and alveoli, because of their ph or their ability to form free radicals. A free radical is an uncharged atom or group of atoms having at least one unpaired electron, which makes it highly reactive. Examples include acrolein, formaldehyde, chlorine, phosgene, perfluoroisobutylene, sulfur dioxide, nitrogen oxide and nitrogen dioxide. Soot contains elemental carbon, which can absorb toxins, can be delivered to the distal airways and alveoli. In short, these compounds can produce acute neutrophilic airway inflammation.
    (3) Systemic toxins. Smoke inhalation may lead to the absorption of carbon monoxide and hydrogen cyanide. The molecules impair the delivery and/or utilization of oxygen and may result in systemic tissue hypoxia and rapid death. Carbon monoxide in fire-related deaths is well documented. The number of injuries and death that are directly related to cyanide poisoning is less clear, but its toxicity is synergistic with that of carbon monoxide and is found in compounds such as polyurethane, acrolynitrile and nylon.
    (4) Hypoxic gas inhalation. Hypoxia is defined as deficient levels of oxygen in the blood or tissue. By inhaling carbon monoxide and cyanide, they will attach to the hemoglobin of the blood’s red cells and block their capacity to carry oxygen. It can cause coma, irreversible brain damage and death due to oxygen deprivation. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, colorless, non-irritating gas that is formed from the incomplete combustion of carbon-containing compounds. Over-exposure will result in death. Cyanide is a highly toxic compound that can be formed in the high temperature combustion/pyrolysis of a number of common materials, such as polyurethane, acrylonitrile, nylon, wool and cotton. Cyanide binds to a variety of iron-containing enzymes. These enzymes provide energy to cells. Without it, cells quickly die, resulting in rapid death.

Sources:

Jess Mandel MD, Joseph Schellenberg MD and Charles A. Hales MD, UpToDateOnline.com; Smoke Inhalation, 8/5/03

McGraw-Hill, Health Professions Division, Trauma, Fourth Edition; Inhalation Injury.

WebMD Health, Miller-Keane Medical Dictionary; Asphyxia, 2000.

Merck Manual of Medical Information, Home Edition, 1997.
    Please end the notion that more die if serviced by a volunteer department or vice versa.
    Unless you can stop the victims from breathing in the toxins until you arrive, people are going to die. Your pedigree will have very little to do with it.
    It is nonsense to believe that, at four minutes or less, people will not die. There are too many factors involved to make such an empirical statement.
    That is not to say that people will die with a seven minute response.
    It depends on age, health, the amount of toxins, etc. Some of you are giving yourselves too much credit.
    If you are wondering where I got the info, I got it while doing research on the death of Brad Golden.
    Hope it helps in some way.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

version 112.123 has spoken again.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

was asked to remove my shameless plug in my signature because someone was a little girl and went running to their mommy .........
    Wrong, grasshopper cartographer....

Just making sure that everyone is playing by the same set of rules... If I want Spam, it's in aisle 3 of my local supermarket.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 10-27-2007 at 12:49 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

It can take my company up to 10 minutes to get to the location of a call.
    Thats with a paid EMT/Driver and Paramedic for the ambulance.
    We have 1st due area in 2 states and 3 counties, and it can take us upwards of 8 minutes to arrive on scene after leaving the station with the engine.
    Luckily, our core base of volunteers lives about 2 minutes or less away depending on weather and traffic, with the volunteer driver living literally less then 50 feet away from the station.

Also, if certain jurisdictions wouldn't put us 5th due on an address that is literally 100 feet from the edge of our jurisdiction, mutual aid would most likely be improved greatly. Especially since we are the only ALS transport unit in the northern half (and all surrounding boxes) of our PA area.

Of course, if we could find the money to replace the 1985 open cab engine thats first out the door, we might not have to constantly have apparatus OOS for repairs.
    But since we only run 750-800 combined fire and EMS runs per year, we're not exactly at the top of the county's budget list. That and we can't get a grant to save our life.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Question Huh??.........

Quote Originally Posted by LVFDghosthunter View Post
    It can take my company up to 10 minutes to get to the location of a call.
    Thats with a paid EMT/Driver and Paramedic for the ambulance.
    We have 1st due area in 2 states and 3 counties, and it can take us upwards of 8 minutes to arrive on scene after leaving the station with the engine.
    Luckily, our core base of volunteers lives about 2 minutes or less away depending on weather and traffic, with the volunteer driver living literally less then 50 feet away from the station.

Also, if certain jurisdictions wouldn't put us 5th due on an address that is literally 100 feet from the edge of our jurisdiction, mutual aid would most likely be improved greatly. Especially since we are the only ALS transport unit in the northern half (and all surrounding boxes) of our PA area.

Of course, if we could find the money to replace the 1985 open cab engine thats first out the door, we might not have to constantly have apparatus OOS for repairs.
    But since we only run 750-800 combined fire and EMS runs per year, we're not exactly at the top of the county's budget list. That and we can't get a grant to save our life.

The Line is running an '85 first out?? Man that's news, I thought y'all were OK up there. Pass on to Management that they should look into the State Fire Association's Low (2%) Interest Loan Fund. That's an affordable way to purchase apparatus.
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Still gets the job done, just getting a little too old.

We can't really purchase much of anything right now...
    Last time I checked we were around 2 million dollars in debt because of the new building. I'll bet you we'll have ol' 72 until at least 2010.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFDghosthunter View Post

Still gets the job done, just getting a little too old.

We can't really purchase much of anything right now...
    Last time I checked we were around 2 million dollars in debt because of the new building. I'll bet you we'll have ol' 72 until at least 2010.
    If you don't mind me asking. What is the status of the PD HQ and what do the officers drive around in?
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

55 Years & Still Rolling

Question Huh??...................

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking. What is the status of the PD HQ and what do the officers drive around in?

What PD are you referring to??.....
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PFDTruck18 View Post
    we walk all over your back. you have no idea. ive been to bucks, nothing much to write home about.
    I'm with you friend, I was speaking of Hosehead. You've my kudos all day long, no doubt!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sorry, Its not a job

" Firefighting is not a job, it is a calling and an honor accorded to only a few!"
    Sorry I can't find the original quoter but I believe that a member here uses it in his sign offs

Quote Originally Posted by rfdlou View Post
    I agree re “two in two out”. Can you do it ? Sure, happens every day. If someone gets hurt you have to have all the right answers.
    However, once it has been decided that volunteer response is no longer adequate & paid people are required. Why have the paid people run “lite” & depend on volunteer backup response that is not adequate in the first place? Money??

I am a volunteer firefighter. I am a union man. I have worked union most of my adult life. The day my Dept. goes paid (even one person) is the day I hang up my gear. I will wish the career people well. I will not do anyone’s job for free.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    I'm with you friend, I was speaking of Hosehead. You've my kudos all day long, no doubt!

funny coming a member of a company that did such a poor job on an apt. fire your company got crucified so bad on phillyfire web site fourm, it got shut down. thank you for not taking my side. keep up the good work

Forum Member

funny coming a member of a company that did such a poor job on an apt. fire your company got crucified so bad on phillyfire web site fourm, it got shut down. thank you for not taking my side. keep up the good work
    What fire department are you affiliated with, cupcake?
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    What fire department are you affiliated with, cupcake?

would love to tell ya but it's against our companies policy to post that information, you'd have to take it up with the admin. of the dept about that - it's in bucks county.

"cupcake" sorry i don't swing from the same side of the plate as you, i'm married with kids.

ron don't go against the crusty old jake motto of not disparaging others in a forum, you won't be living up the the jakes tradition.

He posted the membership requirements as follows:

* An appreciation of the job, respect for those who did the job while you were still in diapers and the sacrifices made by those who preceeded us.

* A willingness to honor the past, think outside of the box, challenge the future, train and learn new stuff (in other words....building more crust! )

* A willingness to take the next generation under your wing and show them the true path to firefighting enlightenment...making them "pup proof"

* A dislike for "mutts".

* A love of leather helmets! (it's okay if you don't have one, ya just gotta love them! )

* Doing your time as a "lower than whale scat probie" without complaints or regrets.

* Crawling down a long, smokey hallway with zero visibility.

* Knowing what it's like to be on the other side of an opposing hose stream.

* Working together to make the job better rather than fight among each other!

* Respecting each other in the true spirit of brotherhood/sisterhood.
    Last edited by hoseheadmaps; 10-28-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Forum Member

would love to tell ya but it's against our companies policy to post that information, you'd have to take it up with the admin. of the dept about that - it's in bucks county.
    FWD provided the information. It must be interesting when your FD is called for mutual aid...

"Command to fire alarm... request the FD who cannot be named due to company policy to respond with an engine..."

What's up with "station zero"?

"cupcake" sorry i don't swing from the same side of the plate as you, i'm married with kids

You have baby goats? That's what you get for sleeping in the barn... (it's a joke, in case you can't recognize humor)

By the way.. married 28 years, 1 son, 3 dogs, 2 cats.
    I bat right, throw right and have played catcher and short field for the MFD "Ballbusters" softball team.

ron don't go against the crusty old jake motto of not disparaging others in a forum, you won't be living up the the jakes tradition.

He posted the membership requirements as follows:

* An appreciation of the job, respect for those who did the job while you were still in diapers and the sacrifices made by those who preceeded us.

* A willingness to honor the past, think outside of the box, challenge the future, train and learn new stuff (in other words....building more crust! )

* A willingness to take the next generation under your wing and show them the true path to firefighting enlightenment...making them "pup proof"

* A dislike for "mutts".

* A love of leather helmets! (it's okay if you don't have one, ya just gotta love them! )

* Doing your time as a "lower than whale scat probie" without complaints or regrets.

* Crawling down a long, smokey hallway with zero visibility.

* Knowing what it's like to be on the other side of an opposing hose stream.

* Working together to make the job better rather than fight among each other!

* Respecting each other in the true spirit of brotherhood/sisterhood.
    Yes, I did write that so long ago... and I do dislike mutts.. does the shoe fit, Hosehead?

From the tone and contents of your posts.. you disparage your fellow firefighters at will and have have no respect. For example...

Nice union response - the city of Philadelphia will kill more people in one year then Bucks County will lose in 20 years. If you paid guys are so good why do so many die under your watch??
    and your "answer" to JTFire

Your change of signature is a prime example of the above. Let's face the truth.. your old signature did violate the terms of agreement of firehouse.com

You got caught by the webteam and called on for it. Learn from your mistake. I am sure that you do have a great company and do a good job of making maps. If you want to advertise.. do it legitimately.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 10-28-2007 at 11:52 AM.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    PD HQ?

Our officers drive their personal vehicles to the station.
    They don't have lights and nobody is allowed to POV.

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting how hoseheadmaps does not post anything for close to a year, but as soon as the Trotter gets banned, he is back and posting like crazy......
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Cupcake runs with the Yardley-Makefield Fire Company.
    oh so close just a RCH off. i did love the wedding pictures on the web of you and the 250lb thing standing next to you, that looked like a special moment. i tried to post it but my monitor cracked.

pd:since chubby chaser mentioned ymfc - i did do their maps for them as well as a number of other bucks county companies. now go round up the heard for dinner
    Last edited by hoseheadmaps; 10-28-2007 at 03:46 PM.

Forum Member

Settle down children.

Thread Information