Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Forum Member

It can take my company up to 10 minutes to get to the location of a call.
    Thats with a paid EMT/Driver and Paramedic for the ambulance.
    We have 1st due area in 2 states and 3 counties, and it can take us upwards of 8 minutes to arrive on scene after leaving the station with the engine.
    Luckily, our core base of volunteers lives about 2 minutes or less away depending on weather and traffic, with the volunteer driver living literally less then 50 feet away from the station.

Also, if certain jurisdictions wouldn't put us 5th due on an address that is literally 100 feet from the edge of our jurisdiction, mutual aid would most likely be improved greatly. Especially since we are the only ALS transport unit in the northern half (and all surrounding boxes) of our PA area.

Of course, if we could find the money to replace the 1985 open cab engine thats first out the door, we might not have to constantly have apparatus OOS for repairs.
    But since we only run 750-800 combined fire and EMS runs per year, we're not exactly at the top of the county's budget list. That and we can't get a grant to save our life.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Huh??.........

Quote Originally Posted by LVFDghosthunter View Post
    It can take my company up to 10 minutes to get to the location of a call.
    Thats with a paid EMT/Driver and Paramedic for the ambulance.
    We have 1st due area in 2 states and 3 counties, and it can take us upwards of 8 minutes to arrive on scene after leaving the station with the engine.
    Luckily, our core base of volunteers lives about 2 minutes or less away depending on weather and traffic, with the volunteer driver living literally less then 50 feet away from the station.

Also, if certain jurisdictions wouldn't put us 5th due on an address that is literally 100 feet from the edge of our jurisdiction, mutual aid would most likely be improved greatly. Especially since we are the only ALS transport unit in the northern half (and all surrounding boxes) of our PA area.

Of course, if we could find the money to replace the 1985 open cab engine thats first out the door, we might not have to constantly have apparatus OOS for repairs.
    But since we only run 750-800 combined fire and EMS runs per year, we're not exactly at the top of the county's budget list. That and we can't get a grant to save our life.

The Line is running an '85 first out?? Man that's news, I thought y'all were OK up there. Pass on to Management that they should look into the State Fire Association's Low (2%) Interest Loan Fund. That's an affordable way to purchase apparatus.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Still gets the job done, just getting a little too old.

We can't really purchase much of anything right now...
    Last time I checked we were around 2 million dollars in debt because of the new building. I'll bet you we'll have ol' 72 until at least 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by LVFDghosthunter View Post

Still gets the job done, just getting a little too old.

We can't really purchase much of anything right now...
    Last time I checked we were around 2 million dollars in debt because of the new building. I'll bet you we'll have ol' 72 until at least 2010.
    If you don't mind me asking. What is the status of the PD HQ and what do the officers drive around in?
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Huh??...................

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking. What is the status of the PD HQ and what do the officers drive around in?

What PD are you referring to??.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PFDTruck18 View Post
    we walk all over your back. you have no idea. ive been to bucks, nothing much to write home about.
    I'm with you friend, I was speaking of Hosehead. You've my kudos all day long, no doubt!
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sorry, Its not a job

" Firefighting is not a job, it is a calling and an honor accorded to only a few!"
    Sorry I can't find the original quoter but I believe that a member here uses it in his sign offs

Quote Originally Posted by rfdlou View Post
    I agree re “two in two out”. Can you do it ? Sure, happens every day. If someone gets hurt you have to have all the right answers.
    However, once it has been decided that volunteer response is no longer adequate & paid people are required. Why have the paid people run “lite” & depend on volunteer backup response that is not adequate in the first place? Money??

I am a volunteer firefighter. I am a union man. I have worked union most of my adult life. The day my Dept. goes paid (even one person) is the day I hang up my gear. I will wish the career people well. I will not do anyone’s job for free.

Permanently Removed hoseheadmaps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    I'm with you friend, I was speaking of Hosehead. You've my kudos all day long, no doubt!

funny coming a member of a company that did such a poor job on an apt. fire your company got crucified so bad on phillyfire web site fourm, it got shut down. thank you for not taking my side. keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by hoseheadmaps View Post
    funny coming a member of a company that did such a poor job on an apt. fire your company got crucified so bad on phillyfire web site fourm, it got shut down. thank you for not taking my side. keep up the good work
    What fire department are you affiliated with, cupcake?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    What fire department are you affiliated with, cupcake?

would love to tell ya but it's against our companies policy to post that information, you'd have to take it up with the admin. of the dept about that - it's in bucks county.

"cupcake" sorry i don't swing from the same side of the plate as you, i'm married with kids.

ron don't go against the crusty old jake motto of not disparaging others in a forum, you won't be living up the the jakes tradition.

He posted the membership requirements as follows:

* An appreciation of the job, respect for those who did the job while you were still in diapers and the sacrifices made by those who preceeded us.

* A willingness to honor the past, think outside of the box, challenge the future, train and learn new stuff (in other words....building more crust! )

* A willingness to take the next generation under your wing and show them the true path to firefighting enlightenment...making them "pup proof"

* A dislike for "mutts".

* A love of leather helmets! (it's okay if you don't have one, ya just gotta love them! )

* Doing your time as a "lower than whale scat probie" without complaints or regrets.

* Crawling down a long, smokey hallway with zero visibility.

* Knowing what it's like to be on the other side of an opposing hose stream.

* Working together to make the job better rather than fight among each other!

* Respecting each other in the true spirit of brotherhood/sisterhood.
    Last edited by hoseheadmaps; 10-28-2007 at 09:44 AM.

would love to tell ya but it's against our companies policy to post that information, you'd have to take it up with the admin. of the dept about that - it's in bucks county.
    FWD provided the information. It must be interesting when your FD is called for mutual aid...

"Command to fire alarm... request the FD who cannot be named due to company policy to respond with an engine..."

What's up with "station zero"?

"cupcake" sorry i don't swing from the same side of the plate as you, i'm married with kids

You have baby goats? That's what you get for sleeping in the barn... (it's a joke, in case you can't recognize humor)

By the way.. married 28 years, 1 son, 3 dogs, 2 cats.
    I bat right, throw right and have played catcher and short field for the MFD "Ballbusters" softball team.

ron don't go against the crusty old jake motto of not disparaging others in a forum, you won't be living up the the jakes tradition.

He posted the membership requirements as follows:

* An appreciation of the job, respect for those who did the job while you were still in diapers and the sacrifices made by those who preceeded us.

* A willingness to honor the past, think outside of the box, challenge the future, train and learn new stuff (in other words....building more crust! )

* A willingness to take the next generation under your wing and show them the true path to firefighting enlightenment...making them "pup proof"

* A dislike for "mutts".

* A love of leather helmets! (it's okay if you don't have one, ya just gotta love them! )

* Doing your time as a "lower than whale scat probie" without complaints or regrets.

* Crawling down a long, smokey hallway with zero visibility.

* Knowing what it's like to be on the other side of an opposing hose stream.

* Working together to make the job better rather than fight among each other!

* Respecting each other in the true spirit of brotherhood/sisterhood.
    Yes, I did write that so long ago... and I do dislike mutts.. does the shoe fit, Hosehead?

From the tone and contents of your posts.. you disparage your fellow firefighters at will and have have no respect. For example...

Nice union response - the city of Philadelphia will kill more people in one year then Bucks County will lose in 20 years. If you paid guys are so good why do so many die under your watch??
    and your "answer" to JTFire

Your change of signature is a prime example of the above. Let's face the truth.. your old signature did violate the terms of agreement of firehouse.com

You got caught by the webteam and called on for it. Learn from your mistake. I am sure that you do have a great company and do a good job of making maps. If you want to advertise.. do it legitimately.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 10-28-2007 at 10:52 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    PD HQ?

Our officers drive their personal vehicles to the station.
    They don't have lights and nobody is allowed to POV.

MembersZone Subscriber

Interesting how hoseheadmaps does not post anything for close to a year, but as soon as the Trotter gets banned, he is back and posting like crazy......
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Cupcake runs with the Yardley-Makefield Fire Company.
    oh so close just a RCH off. i did love the wedding pictures on the web of you and the 250lb thing standing next to you, that looked like a special moment. i tried to post it but my monitor cracked.

pd:since chubby chaser mentioned ymfc - i did do their maps for them as well as a number of other bucks county companies. now go round up the heard for dinner
    Last edited by hoseheadmaps; 10-28-2007 at 02:46 PM.

Forum Member

Settle down children.

oh so close just a RCH off. i did love the wedding pictures on the web of you and the 250lb thing standing next to you, that looked like a special moment. i tried to post it but my monitor cracked.

pd:since chubby chaser mentioned ymfc - i did do their maps for them as well as a number of other bucks county companies. now go round up the heard for dinner
    At least I didnt marry my male blow-up doll! Oh, and did you ever do any maps in PG County?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by hoseheadmaps

It's one thing to throw a shot across someone's bow in the forums. .. it's another thing entirely to attack the person's family.

Hosehead.. you're nothing but a MUTT.

PS: great way to "promote" your business... NOT!
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like Hosehead has joined Trotter
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219 View Post
    Looks like Hosehead has joined Trotter
    WT must have hired more help or are working OT.
    Man; that was fast.
    And, if I may, I have never seen a more classless and inappropriate remark here than the one that got him banned.
    I hope we have seen the last of him and his ilk.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

My company, Centre Square Fire Company, is one of the companies the author chose in Montgomery County, PA. We are a combination department. The career staff works two shifts, 6-2:30 and 9:30-5:30 Monday through Friday with the exception of holidays. All other times are covered by volunteers.

I will admit there are times when we take several minutes to get to a call with a piece of apparatus. One of the major issues for the volunteers is the traffic. There is a tremendous amount of construction and road work going on in our response area. That is a fact of life.

I have read the article and I do not agree with the author. We make every effort to provide the best service to the residents of our response area and surrounding communities.

Thread Information