Forum Member

Default Bradford Football Club fire 11th May 1985

Found this whilst looking for something else. I recall someone asking about it a while back. The footage still sends a shiver down my spine 22 years later. All this devastation happened in about 5 minutes. We'll have all seen some pretty awful things in our time, but I have to warn you, the footage is quite harrowing, especially listening to it with the sound on.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...56187359015063
    Last edited by martinm; 10-22-2007 at 07:59 PM.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by martinm View Post
    Found this whilst looking for something else. I recall someone asking about it a while back. The footage still sends a shiver down my spine 27 years later. All this devastation happened in about 5 minutes. We'll have all seen some pretty awful things in our time, but I have to warn you, the footage is quite harrowing, especially listening to it with the sound on.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...56187359015063
    If this happened in 1985, and it is now 2007, how can it be 27 years later?

Forum Member

Gee, thanks for the correction to my arithmatic. Anything else?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by martinm View Post
    Gee, thanks for the correction to my arithmatic. Anything else?
    Yea, that is some video. Amazing it only took 5 minutes. What are our response times??? Not for nothing, but that is a good training video and a good sales tool for things like sprinklers and fire extinguishers.

MembersZone Subscriber

You know, Martin, all these years later, I still use the unedited video as a teaching tool for a couple of things; fire dynamics, flashover and human behavior. I have kind of become immune to the graphic tragedy because of the number of times I have seen it, but it is very telling how it effects the students-especially the ones who are seeing it for the first time.

I think we have discussed this before, but anyone asking about response times is ignorant to the lessons learned in this incident. Based on the fire develolpment and the circumstances surrounding the event (overcrowding and locked exits, etc.), the result would have been exactly the same if the fire brigade were staged in place with dry lines stretched and connected.

The main issues in this case are life safety related. There are only secondary fire suppression issues.[
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Forum Member

George, I agree wholeheratedly. The issue of football ground safety in the UK in the 80's & early 90's was related to keeping rival groups of fans segregated and not one of making sure that quite a few thousand people could exit a stadium quickly and safely in the event of an emergency.

The dyanmics of this incident are there for all to see, many people when faced with a locked exit simply milled about as that was the entrance/exit they always used and therefore did'nt know where the next one was, others were drawn the the fire instead of moving away, and as can be heard on the audio, a large section of the "away" supporters began chanting taunts towards the affected persons.

The pre-detirmined attendance for the fire service at this type of premises would more than likely be 2 or 3 pumps and perhaps an aerial appliance. by the time the "make up" messages went in, it would have been far to late for most of the 56 people who were killed and the hundreds who were injured. Given the significaant fire loading (wooden stadium, years of accumulated debris under the wooden seating, coupled with the very, very rapid fire development, it would have been very difficult to prevent so much loss of life and damage, even with as you say pre laid delivery hose and an plan of attack.

Thread Information