38 63.33%
  • White Collar

3 5.00%
  • Depends on the day

19 31.67%
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Blue Collar / White Collar / Somewhere Inbetween

I had any interesting discussion today with a new member of the fire service, and the question came up - Is firefighting a blue-collar, white-collar, or somwhere in between job?

I have pretty strong feelings on the matter, but what do you think?

IMHO, firefighters would be classified as blue collar. The real reason i say that is we don't work in an office from 8-5, 5 days a week. We work out with people, working hours others find insane.

*and for the record, IMHO, blue collar does not have any kind of negative connotation to it.*
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Some jobs you take a shower before work, others you take a shower after work. I wear a white shirt but consider myself a blue collar worker-I still get dirty
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219 View Post
    Some jobs you take a shower before work, others you take a shower after work. I wear a white shirt but consider myself a blue collar worker-I still get dirty
    some jobs you take a shower before and after work, sometimes during too. I think we are a hybrid of blue and white collar. Throughout the course of a day firefighters do everything from cleaning toilets to conducting inspections. Doesn't really fit into either category by definition. Maybe we are "light blue" collar or "off white"

Definately blue collar job. No stuffy offices (except the chiefs) and really labor intensive.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

hey there Dickey ..........some of us Chief's dont mind gettin dirty.........
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't believe someone even would have to ask the question...

Blue.
    • Look at what the elites think when it comes time for a pay raise for you so you can afford to shelter and feed your family comfortably without taking on 2 side jobs?
    • Look at what they think or say when you are at the store and they think their Tax dollars are paying for your meal?
    • Look at how they talk to you when as if you were their man-servant Kato!
    • Anyone ever work in an office or white collar job? How many of the "employees" there do you think would be able to do this job without breaking down in hysterics crying?

This is a skilled and tough blue collar job.

FTM-PTB

PS-EMS is often looked at as a white collar job or a close relative of one as are most healthcare careers outside of those having Doctorates.

MembersZone Subscriber

Blue Collar

White collar jobs are pencil pushing, not gonna get dirty, M-F 9 to 5 jobs. Ask a "white collar" type person to come to work, then scrub a toilet, then run up a dozen flights of stairs carrying 100 lbs of equipment. THEN come back and have to cook lunch and clean up after cooking.

True, there may be some positions that are in the office, but the majority of the people who go to the office to get off the back step is because they couldn't hack it.

Stay Safe
    Chris Polimeni
    Prince George's County FD
    Back at the Big 29er

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post

Blue.
    • Look at what the elites think when it comes time for a pay raise for you so you can afford to shelter and feed your family comfortably without taking on 2 side jobs?
    • Look at what they think or say when you are at the store and they think their Tax dollars are paying for your meal?
    • Anyone ever work in an office or white collar job? How many of the "employees" there do you think would be able to do this job without breaking down in hysterics crying?

FTM-PTB

PS-EMS is often looked at as a white collar job or a close relative of one as are most healthcare careers outside of those having Doctorates.
    I'm a white collar on my regular job - and I do this job with just as much enthusiasm. Never once have I broke down and cried. Funny thing is, one of the younger guys (around 30) just bought a house and is thinking of joining the volunteer FD in his area.

As Deputy Chief, I consider it to be an extremely skilled and demanding blue colllar/white collar/dirty collar job.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

It really is a trade, (and I'm sure one day will be treated as such), and leans heavily toward the Blue collar side. As mentioned, even the white collar folks get dirty on occasion (Most often when there are no Rookies available. )

Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    It really is a trade, (and I'm sure one day will be treated as such), and leans heavily toward the Blue collar side. As mentioned, even the white collar folks get dirty on occasion (Most often when there are no Rookies available. )

Hear hear. I ride a desk most of the time, and today started out that way. Then about 1 I did a drill with the engine crew, and at 2 was fighting a car fire with them. Not your typical office job.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

I find that every fire company is different. Some are Mildly white collar, some are blue collar, and alot are no collar. Just depends on the location of the fire house and how much they are gettin'...lol
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Blue.

FTM-PTB

with all due respect, most EMS workers make significantly less then their fire brothers. and what you just describes applies even more so to EMS.

Firefighters are blue collar employees. EMS tends to be considered white collar, but it's more blue collar. ditto for registered nurses.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DrParasite View Post
    with all due respect, most EMS workers make significantly less then their fire brothers. and what you just describes applies even more so to EMS.
    Pay level has nothing to do with the color of the collar. Generally they are wage earners but that isn't the defining feature.

Operating Engineers, Sandhogs, Longshoremen,Stevedores, Oil Rig workers all make much more money than me yet their jobs are considered Blue collar regardless of the comparision to my or others salaries.

Firefighters are blue collar employees. EMS tends to be considered white collar, but it's more blue collar. ditto for registered nurses.
    I'm not sure where you learned the difference between White and Blue, but EMS and nursing is like most of the healthcare field and is considered a white collar job by the Government agencies and companies that analize labor statistics.

Their work isn't generally considered manualy intensive, they are white collar.

FTM-PTB

I'm not sure where you learned the difference between White and Blue, but EMS and nursing is like most of the healthcare field and is considered a white collar job by the Government agencies and companies that analize labor statistics.

Their work isn't generally considered manualy intensive, they are white collar.

FTM-PTB
    I have yet to see any suit-wearing, 9-5er changing a c-bag, work a 12-14 hour shift that includes cleaning vomit off patients and floors, feeding and bathing 8-12 patients in that time frame, changing bed linens and sundry other tasks. Not manually intensive?? BS!!!

Thread Information