Hi all.

I am the spouse of a USAF Firefighter and trying to do a little research here. My husband will be getting out this coming April 2008. He (more like we, as I am trying to help as much as I can) is starting to gather the information about testing in and around the Chicagoland area, as that is where we would like to return to.

A brief background, he has been active duty and a Firefighter in the service for 6 years. he just turned 30. He will be completing his EMT-P by years end, he is EMT-B now. Additionally he has taken Officer I and has taken Rescue and Hazmat Courses and several others. Obviously in the AF the main focus is on aircraft but he has fought structural fires etc also and has the required certs.

A couple questions....

1) Military do get some sort of recognition for service correct? I have heard it described as preference points.
2) He went through tech school, as well as several additional courses (the AFs version of fire academy, basically) so would he also have to go through say the Chicago Fire Academy? Or would it be more like a transfer of stations?
3)Is anyone aware if there are multiple training centers to obtain a CPAT? The only I have seen in Illinois is Glenview. It would be nice if there was a closer one!
4)Do most hiring departments have only one test date at their physical location or are there ways for someone who lives out of state (or near out of state as we are in E. St. Louis) to test? He currently works 48 on, 48 off shifts so scheduling is not the easiest thing in the world, though leave is available.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!